Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

SM File/Folder Downloader and Precacher

Post New Thread Reply   

Gamedude
Old 11-04-2008 , 18:52   Re: SM File/Folder Downloader and Precacher
Reply With Quote #61

Ok Swat. I removed that part(I put the cstrike/ in there for testing and it still didn't help apparently) and still no download. However, for further testing purposes I added materials/ to those model files that weren't downloading and when I connected they downloaded. So the hangup seems to be with the models folder itself. Any idea if the plugin won't create folders or something to that effect? Because those models need to be in the cstrike/models folder to work correctly, but they only seem to download if in a folder not models/.

Thanks,
-Game
KillerSneak
Old 11-05-2008 , 05:55   Re: SM File/Folder Downloader and Precacher
Reply With Quote #62

Forgive me if i ask this stupid question but:

What exactly is the benefit of precatching eveyrthing? Will it have good influance on the ping? / will there be less lag?

can someone explain to me what this does exactly / why it should be used?
SWAT_88
SourceMod Donor
Old 11-06-2008 , 13:32   Re: SM File/Folder Downloader and Precacher
Reply With Quote #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerSneak View Post
Forgive me if i ask this stupid question but:

What exactly is the benefit of precatching eveyrthing? Will it have good influance on the ping? / will there be less lag?

can someone explain to me what this does exactly / why it should be used?
You cannot precache everything.
Only models, sounds and decals.

No, precaching does not change the ping, it is used for precache models, otherwise you have a error model.
Old 11-06-2008 , 13:37   Re: SM File/Folder Downloader and Precacher
Reply With Quote #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamedude View Post
Ok Swat. I removed that part(I put the cstrike/ in there for testing and it still didn't help apparently) and still no download. However, for further testing purposes I added materials/ to those model files that weren't downloading and when I connected they downloaded. So the hangup seems to be with the models folder itself. Any idea if the plugin won't create folders or something to that effect? Because those models need to be in the cstrike/models folder to work correctly, but they only seem to download if in a folder not models/.

Thanks,
-Game
You must not write the mod folder name into the config.

To test the plugin:
Look into the log file.
There are 2 lines
1.) ReadLine: .....
2.) Precache/AddToDownload

If you see the ReadLine line and not the AddToDownloadTable line you don't have the file in the path you specified.

If you see both the ReadLine and AddToDownload, I cannot do anything for you because the file is added to the DownloadTable and I have no idea why this don't works.
Old 11-07-2008 , 15:43   Re: SM File/Folder Downloader and Precacher
Reply With Quote #65

I read this thread thinking about adding it to one of the CSS servers I administrate, and I read TF2FunServer's post, if he didn't fix the problem yet ... he posted what the issue was in his own words, they are bz2 files and in his download list they do not have .bz2 as the final extension, I am new to http downloading but wouldn't that be a problem? and if so, why not just upload the files normal rather than in the bz2 format, most skins dont reach 1mb, therefore saving 100kb by using bz2 on the skins... wouldn't really help.

Edit: also the only reason I would need this plugin would to force clients to download the round start sound for de_westwood, which the server will not download to clients for some reason, if anyone knows an alternative to installing a plugin to fix the sound download, it would be greatly appreciated. Just pm me to the thread doesn't leave topic please. dir for sound "sound/nippersounds/nm_goodbadugly.wav" I use http downloading.

Last edited by Arcano; 11-07-2008 at 15:48.
Gamedude
Old 11-07-2008 , 21:27   Re: SM File/Folder Downloader and Precacher
Reply With Quote #66

Ok well I have no idea either then. Because if there in the materials/models/weapons folder they will download to that said folder. But if the files are just in models/weapons where they need to be to work they wont download.
SWAT_88
SourceMod Donor
Old 11-08-2008 , 10:07   Re: SM File/Folder Downloader and Precacher
Reply With Quote #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamedude View Post
Ok well I have no idea either then. Because if there in the materials/models/weapons folder they will download to that said folder. But if the files are just in models/weapons where they need to be to work they wont download.
If you see the AddToDownload line in your log file then I have no idea, but if you don't have this line in your log file then you specified a wrong path, because this file/folder was not found.
I think you do something wrong, because many other people have no problem with model downloading.
Old 11-08-2008 , 10:16   Re: SM File/Folder Downloader and Precacher
Reply With Quote #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcano View Post
I read this thread thinking about adding it to one of the CSS servers I administrate, and I read TF2FunServer's post, if he didn't fix the problem yet ... he posted what the issue was in his own words, they are bz2 files and in his download list they do not have .bz2 as the final extension, I am new to http downloading but wouldn't that be a problem? and if so, why not just upload the files normal rather than in the bz2 format, most skins dont reach 1mb, therefore saving 100kb by using bz2 on the skins... wouldn't really help.

Edit: also the only reason I would need this plugin would to force clients to download the round start sound for de_westwood, which the server will not download to clients for some reason, if anyone knows an alternative to installing a plugin to fix the sound download, it would be greatly appreciated. Just pm me to the thread doesn't leave topic please. dir for sound "sound/nippersounds/nm_goodbadugly.wav" I use http downloading.
I don't know if you must append .bz2 to the files in the download list, but I think your statement might be correct, because the plugin checks If the file is present. This might be the reason, why this plugin doesn't add files to the download table if the files are on the webserver, because the file does not exist on the game server.

I will append a plugin which doesn't check if the file is present, maybe then it works.
Tell me if it works, and try to append .bz2 to the files.
Attached Files
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (sm_downloader.sp - 660 views - 6.9 KB)

Last edited by SWAT_88; 11-08-2008 at 10:19.
KillerSneak
Old 11-26-2008 , 10:33   Re: SM File/Folder Downloader and Precacher
Reply With Quote #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAT_88 View Post
My plugin supports folder download.
So you can write:
Code:
materials/models/player/demo
And all files/folders in this folder will be downloaded.
Does this work for only the downloads.ini or downloads_simple.ini? Or doe folder downloads work for both? And when the folder has subfolders will it also download everything in those subfolders?

Full directory:
materials/models/player/demo/dna

downloads.ini

So in the above example will it also download everything in the /dna subdirectory?

EDIT:
Also what do you plase models psy <- files under? Under models? Decals? As every good finished skins/models have a psy file. No metntion what so ever where to place them?

Last edited by KillerSneak; 11-26-2008 at 10:37.
SWAT_88
SourceMod Donor
Old 11-26-2008 , 13:40   Re: SM File/Folder Downloader and Precacher
Reply With Quote #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerSneak View Post
Does this work for only the downloads.ini or downloads_simple.ini? Or doe folder downloads work for both? And when the folder has subfolders will it also download everything in those subfolders?

Full directory:
materials/models/player/demo/dna

downloads.ini

So in the above example will it also download everything in the /dna subdirectory?

EDIT:
Also what do you plase models psy <- files under? Under models? Decals? As every good finished skins/models have a psy file. No metntion what so ever where to place them?
Yes it will download the whole folder and subfolders.
Yes it works in both ini's.

Place the psy file in //No Precache, only the .mdl file must be placed in //Models.