Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

What is better, MAM or SourceMod?

Post New Thread Reply   

sofwmrebiteme
Old 07-10-2008 , 18:12   Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #21

as for Soldiers of Foreign Wars I really love Mani. Thats pretty much where it stops. Mani is great when its updated. Mani has not done anything to it yet but from what I understand he will. It is very hard to get a straight answer because you rarely ever see a post from him. Even if he does it may he be a dollar short and a day late if he wants to keep his plugin going. My understanding is he will wait until at least CS:S is complete with the orange box. I have listed numerous things wrong with Mani since the Final came out and you really don't see alot of interest to fix it. The thing that bugs me the most is team balance and the 4 second issue. That alone drives me crazy.
I have already started to make the switch to sourcemod. I see alot of activity here. Activity breeds fixes and fixes means that there will be good mods for just about anything an admin wants to do with his server.
Dog_Pound
Old 07-10-2008 , 18:59   Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #22

I actually rented a test server during the DODS Beta period to get ready for the move to the orangebox because of my concern over impact on mods and plugins. I spent quite a bit of time trying to get mani to work properly or at least to a standard that was acceptable to our membership, gave up finally and then went hunting for a replacement, naturally coming here first as I had been using sourcemod for our server plugins. I'm not a scripter, programmer, etc. but am technically inclined. Yet I was able to figure out how to build my menus and activate functionality using the core sourcemod programs and plugins. Now running sourcemod, hpk, dod_medic, supercmds, spray tracker and advertisements on both our DODS Windows and Linux servers with absolutely no issues or crashes (using banch 1.1.0r2391). I've completing removed Mani and gained about a 15-20 point latency reward as a result. It is difficult for those of us not familiar with code but hang in there fellow non-coders, you will have a lightbulb moment and begin to realize the benefits that can be gained. Why I've even learned how to compile my changes to the scripts now...lol.
psychotic
Old 07-10-2008 , 21:58   Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #23

That's the thing, someone said that Mani is good for beginner admins. The admins I have on the server currently haven't had this game for a month MAXIMUM, so I needed something easy to use. SourceMod is good, if you have a coder or are interested in using PLUGINS, which I have NO interest in. Nothing that I want to be able to do, Mani doesn't, other then a few things like CSSM that I wanted to have, and a few of the EventScripts which seem very useful. GunGame for instance, I don't know anything about coding, but I didn't see very many plugins for SM that seemed useful, but ES has C4 Timers, ReadRules, Server management etc that I all use, Knife Syphon, mugmod, all the popular ones that I see ES has, so no getting rid of that.

And, as someone else said, SM is more of a plugin base then an actual admin mod, so Mani is better IMO for that respect. Sure, SM has a few features and is constantly being updated, but the CFGs are all interespersed and the names don't have anything to do with what the file does with what I've seen. And from what else I have seen, there is no admin menu, or if there is, you have to add EVERYTHING you want it to do by hand, nothing is added automatically, or at least, not as much as Mani. Albeit, in mani you can't add much of anything to the menu, so customizability is a plus. I probably have a few things wrong in my post, if so, correct me.

I still will use Mani until my server gets more then 5 users in it at a time. SM will be used AFTER I get a good player base. Popularity = something that you need to acquire before you use SM, and before that "14 more players then Mani" thing kicks in. Right now, Im happy if I HAVE 14 players in the server at a given time.
willy1234x1
Old 07-11-2008 , 00:36   Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #24

You must not have used SM enough. The files are pretty specific as to what they do in the configs folder.
KhyrOO
Old 07-11-2008 , 00:50   Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #25

Psychotic for learnin how to be a good admin, and how it works Mani is a good choise, less knowledge need to config it. I think U dont have to be a Coder for using SM, but a little knowledge is need to know what U are doin! I used to admin with Mani so if U have any questions just send me a PM and let me see if I can Help!

Anyway, Welcome to the Community!

The ForCe will be WiTH U ALwaYs!
Send a message via MSN to KhyrOO
Viper2026
Old 07-11-2008 , 22:54   Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #26

I run a CS:S surfing server, and recently, especially with all the recent updates it really has been an outright chore to keep mani and everything working, and working together.

I've been looking to make the switch from Mani to SM, but I'm also quite fond of eventscripts; and have been beginning to pick up python in the process of learning that. Something that has always interested me is the seemingly larger potential to make "cool" scripts and stuff with sourcemod. It also seems like one is able to "do more" with SM than is possible with ES.

The eventscripts team just (literally one month ago) released their new "mani replacement" called extensible admin which looks pretty cool, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
http://forums.mattie.info/cs/forums/...ic.php?t=22393

It really does look like a mani replacement, yet is more or less open source...
http://ourdoings.com/mattiec/2008-04-13

I was wondering if anyone's had any experience using this at all? I was looking specifically at this because I have quite a few eventscripts running on my server, and having an admin plugin based on the already-in-use scripting backend on my server would be pretty cool. But like I said earlier, it seems like sourcemod has the capability to do quite a bit more than eventscripts does. For example I don't think it's possible to do spray tracking in ES, can SM handle this?

I'm just wondering if anyone can comment on the differences in capabilities of ES vs. SM. I'm fairly well versed in C/C++ from all the coding I've learned in school, yet I also have picked up a good bit of python from learning to use ES2.0. I'm still fairly new to the source engine but I am learning and do enjoy writing my own scripts. ES is really very easy when it comes to doing most things, and when you make use of the es_tools plugin you really can do quite a lot. But then I was looking briefly at some SM plugins and saw stuff like sm_parachute, where I don't even know if you can do stuff like that with custom models in ES (although I could be talking out my ass).

Also if anyone's tried the new XA admin I'd like to hear your thoughts on that before I go installing SM or XA on a fresh copy of the srcds.

Last edited by Viper2026; 07-11-2008 at 23:10.
Viper2026
Old 07-20-2008 , 01:32   Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #27

Sorry to dig this thread up, but it's been a while and I was hoping someone would be able to address my questions above
DontWannaName
Veteran Member
Old 07-20-2008 , 02:34   Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #28

Its up to you, if you use ES for other stuff than XA then use XA.

UPABrawler
Old 07-20-2008 , 02:43   Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #29

My transfer from mani to sourcemod was super easy since i used to run amxx on my old gold source games. but if you want the functionality of mani just search the plugins you can get them pretty easy.
Send a message via AIM to UPABrawler Send a message via MSN to UPABrawler