Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[TF2] Who connected via Quickplay?

Post New Thread Reply   

Pythong
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-06-2013 , 12:47   [TF2] Who connected via Quickplay?
Reply With Quote #1

I searched all trough the forums and couldn't find anything. I'm wondering if there is a plugin that would show which players are connected to my server through matchmaking/quickplay. I think it would be interesting to see the stats - how many returning players i actually get on the server.

Thanks,
Python
lyric
Veteran Member
Old 04-06-2013 , 13:59   Re: [TF2] Who connected via Quickplay?
Reply With Quote #2

i like this idea. though it would probably get moved to plugin suggestions

BAFFLED
Old 04-06-2013 , 14:53   Re: [TF2] Who connected via Quickplay?
Reply With Quote #3

With an extension, you could get a pretty reliable guess as to whether or not they joined via part of a lobby (matchmaking), but for quickplay, they connect just like any other player as far as the server is concerned.

Edit: could probably also get quickplay joiners with an extension as well, but would be more complicated.

Edit 2: it would be insanely difficult to test except on a server that gets a lot of traffic from these.

Last edited by psychonic; 04-06-2013 at 15:23.
Atreus
SourceMod Donor
Old 05-14-2013 , 06:37   Re: [TF2] Who connected via Quickplay?
Reply With Quote #4

That's a shame. i found this thread searching for a way to do exactly the same thing. It would be especially useful for when people break a rule on my server, as normally that causes them to be shown the an infopanel with the rules, which no longer works if they're from quickplay. This would let me check whether they broke the rules a second time on purpose, or if they were just never notified that they broke them.

Edit: Hmm..
Is there a way to see if an infopanel is (or isn't, I guess) successfully opened on a person? That could serve the same purpose, in my case. I could set it so that if an infopanel can't be opened, it would treat them differently and perhaps show them what rule they broke in a different way.

Edit 2: I know you can check if they've got an infopanel open, but that could be fooled by them closing the motd quickly, could it not?
Send a message via AIM to Atreus Send a message via MSN to Atreus
Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 05-14-2013 , 15:04   [TF2] Who connected via Quickplay?
Reply With Quote #5

You could test infopanel-ability by opening a panel in the player's background to your website, passing their Steam ID as a get param, then relay that to the server.

psychonic: I could probably give you access to a server that gets a lot of Quickplay joins if you want, as long as you promise to not crash it.
Old 05-14-2013 , 18:10   Re: [TF2] Who connected via Quickplay?
Reply With Quote #6

Doesnt the server create an entity when you open a vgui panel for them?
I remember seeing these when i was spamming myself with onentitycreated stuff.
Perhaps you could just check on initial player spawn, open a motd panel, check if the entity gets created and then close the panel by clientcommand on next frame.. Or open it in the background. If the entity gets created in that timeframe, you'll know.

Otherwise you could do the whole php sql thing.