Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Solved Remove bodies of disconnected players

Post New Thread Reply   

ChillerX
Old 01-22-2023 , 12:40   Remove bodies of disconnected players
Reply With Quote #1

I am looking for a plugin that removes bodies of abruptly disconnected players (for respawn).
All the plugins i tested so far detect only player death in order to remove the bodies.

Setting sv_timeout to lower values isn`t an option.

Last edited by ChillerX; 01-24-2023 at 12:32.
Natsheh
Veteran Member
Old 01-22-2023 , 18:03   Re: Remove bodies of disconnected players
Reply With Quote #2

Its not possible because corpses are client side, once the CLCorpse message is sent its not possible to remove the corpses by the server.
@VIP System 100% done !

Last edited by Natsheh; 01-22-2023 at 18:03.
Send a message via MSN to Natsheh Send a message via Skype™ to Natsheh
ChillerX
Old 01-22-2023 , 18:52   Re: Remove bodies of disconnected players
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsheh View Post
Its not possible because corpses are client side, once the CLCorpse message is sent its not possible to remove the corpses by the server.
Ok so what about some kind of check that uses sv_timeout 1 then back to 120
Natsheh
Veteran Member
Old 01-23-2023 , 06:42   Re: Remove bodies of disconnected players
Reply With Quote #4

It would be awful, best way is to set sv_timeout for a short period of time for example 15 seconds
@VIP System 100% done !

Last edited by Natsheh; 01-23-2023 at 06:43.
Send a message via MSN to Natsheh Send a message via Skype™ to Natsheh
ChillerX
Old 01-24-2023 , 12:16   Re: Remove bodies of disconnected players
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsheh View Post
It would be awful, best way is to set sv_timeout for a short period of time for example 15 seconds
I settled with a task to timeout between 1 and 120 every 3 min. If I remember correctly Conor had another more elegant solution but that was very long ago and cant find it.

Last edited by ChillerX; 01-24-2023 at 12:32.
DJEarthQuake
Veteran Member
Old 01-24-2023 , 13:00   Re: Remove bodies of disconnected players
Reply With Quote #6

Curious. Making timeout into an oblivion is a solution to what root problem please? Extended timeout is causing your new issue of bodies remaining.

Last edited by DJEarthQuake; 01-24-2023 at 13:01.
ChillerX
Old 01-24-2023 , 20:29   Re: Remove bodies of disconnected players
Reply With Quote #7

Lower timeout will dc some legit steam clients. Just tested it few days ago.
Unless your server is dust2 only, standard or very light maps then is not recommended, especially if you have heavy new maps with many files (models/sounds) combined with high ping players.
But as i said anything bellow 30-40 can and will cause issues even for a local with low ping and potato pc. During my testing on various systems/isp i had 3 timeouts in 20 tries.
If the server picks up more regular players I can even set it to 1 and not care if few players drop because of slow systems.

Last edited by ChillerX; 01-24-2023 at 20:43.
deprale
Old 01-24-2023 , 21:06   Re: Remove bodies of disconnected players
Reply With Quote #8

a value of sv_timeout 10 would be ideal, imho if your pc freezes for more than that or your internet is so bad that your whole connection stutters for 10+ seconds then you deserve a kick.

I literally use 4g over usb in a house where I have max 1 bar, and I manage to hold a connection that won't time me out.

Truthfully speaking, the game isn't even that good at resuming after you've lost connection for more than 3 seconds, you'd just have to reconnect if you don't want to wait 2 minutes for the timeout message - you can stare at the WARNING: Connection problem for 2 minutes, it won't kick you but retrying will work and you will connect as you normally do, the game just never seems to figure out how to catch up with the packets it lost during that 1 or 2 seconds your internet went off, sometime sthe game even crashes during that.

Another funny solution would be to set user's position under the map and make his screen black until he moves if he hasn't moved for more than 10 seconds after spawning, this way if he's not timed out he can resume playing as long as he moves, if he's timed out he's just chilling till he gets kicked. But this is too stupid and you might want to just stick to the sv_timeout method, any value between 5-10 is good imo.

Also interesting, does query_client_cvar return null when querying a player that has timed out and is no longer on the server, but his entity still is, this way you can check on spawn if the player's (random) cvar still returns something, then just force kick the entity.

But anyway, does this not happen only on no-steam? I have never witnessed this happening on a steam-only server.
Old 01-24-2023 , 21:48   Re: Remove bodies of disconnected players
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deprale View Post
Also interesting, does query_client_cvar return null when querying a player that has timed out and is no longer on the server, but his entity still is, this way you can check on spawn if the player's (random) cvar still returns something, then just force kick the entity.
You know I`m all about funny ideas ;]

Conor had a solution which worked in a similar way (entity checks), but its buried in the inbox of my old account.

I may give low timeout another try. Can`t really tell which clients get affected or not but will double check that as well.
ChillerX
Old 02-03-2023 , 20:42   Re: Remove bodies of disconnected players
Reply With Quote #10

After a lot of testing (with half full and 30/32 server) I can confirm that lower than 45 sv_timeout is extremely bad idea and the majority of players on older systems will not be able to join a live server at all even with just the basic plugins and nothing else turned on. Avoid setting this lower than the default (60).

Last edited by ChillerX; 02-03-2023 at 20:53.