Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

View Poll Results: Do you think this is a good idea?
Yes 0 0%
Perhaps 1 16.67%
Definietly not 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

AMXxForge

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Xalphox
BANNED
Old 07-15-2007 , 09:42   AMXxForge

AMXxForge
AMXxForge is to be a website using the GForge software. It'le be alot likeSourceForge.com, a very popular open source website for software and many other popular websites.

What is AMXxForge
AMXxForge, as I have already explained, will be using the GForge System, which will allow anyone coding in AMXx to have access to:
  • SVN, CVS and Clear-Case
  • News & Announcements
  • Organised releases.
  • Much more.

Infact, I personally think that just for the SVN it's worth it.

What is SVN?
SVN stands for Sub-Version. Say you have, for example. Say he released a new version, except it had a few bugs, or he wanted to add a tiny bit of code, that didn't require a whole new release. He'd simply add it to the SVN, and it'd be sent out, and recieved by servers. And then, it will have Wonsaes' new and improved carmod. So, with that, people such as Chronic, Hawk552, anybody, with their projects, they'll be making regular progress, and can just keep releasing sub-versions and server hosts will always get the finest version of the mod.

When will this be up?
I'm planning to have this up at the end of the month, however, on a subdomain. If the project is a success, I will buy a domain.

Thoughts and suggestions, please.
Roach
Writes love letters to sawce Daily
Old 07-15-2007 , 09:53   Re: AMXxForge

http://svn.alliedmods.net

And each thread for each plugin is basically a bugfix and SVN thread. No need to really do this at all.

Hawk and others already have folders inside of that SVN...so this is very pointless.
Now replace the word "good" with "dumb".
What was your rationale for proposing such a thing?
Xalphox
BANNED
Old 07-15-2007 , 09:56   Re: AMXxForge

This isn't just SVN, although with AMXxForge you have the ability to do it without having to go through admins, I'll also point out that I have a huge ammount of bandwidth (30tb, I idiotically bought the largest plan possible on my webhost,) so that bulk can be sent without error.

It also allows for multiple users to control the project, so that you can create a large project with many groups.
Roach
Writes love letters to sawce Daily
Old 07-15-2007 , 10:01   Re: AMXxForge

But the users that need to control a "project" already control them using the current SVN system. Case in point, Basic-Master has been working on a new version of Pawn Studio that he has been uploading SVN builds to for bugtesting and feeback onto that website. Only difference is that his news and so forth are done in IRC rather than a news page. I still dont see the point of a public, hosted SVN system when there is one already here on this forum that has worked without any real problem for a very long time now.

It really makes no real sense to setup another SVN website that serves the same purpose as the current one does. Looks to me like all that one does is makes it look prettier.

Also, like I said, each person who has a plugin that is submitted and approved has their own thread that they update with new versions and so forth. To me, it only looks like this just adds a "news" feature, which isn't something that, to me, would compel anyone to make a switch to a new SVN system.
Now replace the word "good" with "dumb".
What was your rationale for proposing such a thing?
vvg125
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 07-15-2007 , 11:04   Re: AMXxForge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalphox View Post
This isn't just SVN, although with AMXxForge you have the ability to do it without having to go through admins, I'll also point out that I have a huge ammount of bandwidth (30tb, I idiotically bought the largest plan possible on my webhost,) so that bulk can be sent without error.

It also allows for multiple users to control the project, so that you can create a large project with many groups.
AMX Mod X has about everything it needs...

I'm starting to see this as a way to try to get influence in the community.
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 07-15-2007 , 11:37   Re: AMXxForge

He posted this on another website where I kicked his ass, I don't know why he came here where I have more influence, but anyways...

He's tried stuff like this before to get popularity for his server. He's also the type of person that would cancel a project or cut it off if he didn't like the person running it. I don't like the idea itself, nor it being at his mercy.
Veteran Member
Old 07-15-2007 , 11:37   Re: AMXxForge

Would be a good idea, but I suppose only if Amx X controls it?

Hawk was a bit faster to me, but like he said...

Quote:
nor it being at his mercy.
If Amx X came to rely on this system it should not be under full/any control of a third party, be it a lone person or some organization. That person can, like Hawk said, simply cut off the entire thing when he feels like it, because eg. he doesn't like some Amx X user or whatever else.
As said above in another post Amx X is pretty much complete as is, and even if this would be used, it would have to be managed purely by Amx X developers/BAILOPAN.

Correct me if I'm wrong >.>

Last edited by BlackMilk; 07-15-2007 at 11:40.
Xalphox
BANNED
Old 07-15-2007 , 11:56   Re: AMXxForge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk552 View Post
He posted this on another website where I kicked his ass, I don't know why he came here where I have more influence, but anyways...

He's tried stuff like this before to get popularity for his server. He's also the type of person that would cancel a project or cut it off if he didn't like the person running it. I don't like the idea itself, nor it being at his mercy.

Yep, let's show your adoring public exactly how you kicked my ass.

http://plugin.harbu.org/viewtopic.php?p=7473#7473
Hawk552
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 07-15-2007 , 12:00   Re: AMXxForge

Quote:

I'm not seeing how I didn't, I mean you have 1 person that supports you on it and has inside interest anyway (wonsae, who's been stupid enough to work with you for God knows how long). BTW, you need to register to see that thread.
Veteran Member
Old 07-15-2007 , 12:22   Re: AMXxForge

Quote:

There's a tiny difference between "adoring" and "agreeing".

If we were all mindless zombies there would be no posts on this forum...
Closed Thread