Plugin Version:
Plugin Category:
General Purpose
Plugin Game:
Left 4 Dead
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:

Plugin Description:
    If you want a Versus only server, and only connectable via the lobby.
    Unapprover:
    Reason for Unapproving:
    Valve implemented this functionality
    Old 02-04-2009 , 07:54   [L4D] Versus Only
    Reply With Quote #1

If you want a Versus only server, and only connectable via the lobby.

If a non versus game is detected everyone will be returned to the lobby with a message (some may not see the message, while some will). Checking your console will show the message.

returntolobby

I would hope you send a server message telling them beforehand, but I leave that to you.

sm_versus_enforced 0 | 1(default)

Enabled by default. If you disable you may still use the returntolobby command.

Changelog:

1.0:
    - Initial release

1.1:
    - Added "sm_versus_enforced" admin command. Use "sm_versus_enforced 0" in console

1.11:
    - Fixed a couple of bugs

1.12:
    - returntolobby now works when sm_versus_enforced 0 is set
    Attached Files
    File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (versusonly.sp - 1544 views - 3.0 KB)

Last edited by Pathfinder; 02-09-2009 at 07:45.
    Dark-Reaper
    Old 02-04-2009 , 08:01   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
    Reply With Quote #2

Don't you know you rock man ?

That's JUST what I was looking for since the new year, a versus only server until new coop maps will be avaible.

Thanks.
    FredJed223
    Old 02-04-2009 , 11:24   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
    Reply With Quote #3

After it returns them to the lobby, what guarantees they will get connected back to their original server?
    Pathfinder
    Old 02-04-2009 , 12:47   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
    Reply With Quote #4

I'm glad you like it reaper

Not quite sure what you mean Fred. Do you mean the original lobby? If so then its just the same as if a callvote did it. All players from the game will be put into the same lobby.

If you did mean server then its usually random assigned so probably not. If you use the sv_search_key or ms_force_dedicated_server method then yes you will.

Last edited by Pathfinder; 02-04-2009 at 12:52.
    Dark-Reaper
    Old 02-04-2009 , 14:40   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
    Reply With Quote #5

Just installed it.

Players are playing in coop, maybe it will force them to return in lobby after a map change.

EDIT : It works.

Last edited by Dark-Reaper; 02-04-2009 at 14:56.
    msleeper
    Veteran Member
    Old 02-04-2009 , 15:53   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
    Reply With Quote #6

Cool hack, but kind of pointless. Just let the lobby system do it's thing, Coop games aren't hurting anyone.
    Old 02-04-2009 , 16:15   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
    Reply With Quote #7

I agree. Pointless. You can manually conect to your server if you want. Other people will connect to whats open.
    protatoe
    Old 02-04-2009 , 17:16   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
    Reply With Quote #8

I had read somewhere that to make a server one mode or the other only, you could remove the corresponding maps. Is that not true? On second thought maybe this is designed more for forked servers? The method I'd read would not work at all on forked servers...

Good job all the same.
    Ydiss
    Old 02-04-2009 , 17:18   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
    Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
    Originally Posted by msleeper View Post
    Cool hack, but kind of pointless. Just let the lobby system do it's thing, Coop games aren't hurting anyone.
    We don't want anyone playing Coop on our server for two main reasons:

1) Coop tends to last for hours due to the nature of the game mode. Players can and do keep playing repeatedly, trying each map until they win it (particularly in Expert). We don't like this. We want our server to be used by lots of people through the day, not four across several hours.

2) (Main reason) We like to use our server too - we hate Coop and never want to play it. So with this plugin we know that if our server has players on it then it's Versus, which means we can join in the game (perhaps removing 1-2 players only) rather than restart the game (meaning removing up to 8 players).

We'd prefer the lobby system be designed so that servers can be flagged Versus or Coop only, which means the system only finds servers that allow whichever game type there is in the lobby. But this isn't the case, so this plugin does the trick and is the least obtrusive to the people being removed. It doesn't kick people (breaking up the lobby) and it's seamless, returning them very quickly so they can search for another lobby immediately.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kenster View Post
    I agree. Pointless. You can manually conect to your server if you want. Other people will connect to whats open.
    You cannot manually connect to our server. Default game mode when connecting directly is Coop. You will be removed immediately.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by protatoe View Post
    I had read somewhere that to make a server one mode or the other only, you could remove the corresponding maps. Is that not true? On second thought maybe this is designed more for forked servers? The method I'd read would not work at all on forked servers...

Good job all the same.
    Most of these "fixes" result in players still joining your server but with bugs and issues. This ruins the game for them, often resulting in the party breaking up as people quit.

This plugin is as elegant as possible, returning everyone back to the lobby seamlessly, meaning they only have to look for another server - rather than join a crappy server that is riddled with game mode bugs due to files being changed or cvars being messed with.
    Dark-Reaper
    Old 02-04-2009 , 17:23   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
    Reply With Quote #10

Valve should put directly a cvar.

sv_coop_only 1/0

sv_versus_only 1/0

I say it again, your plugin is so useful, great work.

But Valve have to move their ass.