Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

What is the point in developing so much good stuff to Amx Mod X, if it can't keep up

Post New Thread Reply   

addons_zz
Veteran Member
Old 08-19-2015 , 13:37   Re: What is the point in developing so much good stuff to Amx Mod X, if it can't keep
Reply With Quote #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusTGo View Post
why they didn't just keep updating 1.6 ? css and csgo are deffrent games now and each game have own stuff you can't have a map thats is working on the 3 games or plugins or any thing each game have its own files and resources.
Because costs much more money to keep updating CS 1.6, to new graphics engines, is much less expensive to discard lot of old stuff and place new ones instead of made the old and good, keep good an new.

And talking about have the same maps and plugins, to new ones, would require, much workaround (ugly hacks, much development time) I think.

Support me on Patreon, Ko-fi, Liberapay or Open Collective
AmineKyo
فوق سريرك
Old 08-19-2015 , 14:03   just a lil misunderstanding.
Reply With Quote #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron9forever View Post
idk wtf you're talking about but there are counter strike versions and sub-versions ranging from 1.0 to 1.6. There's been major changes in these versions such as weapons and bunnyhopping(you know how you can bhop in half life without velocity limit? you could do the same up to 1.4 if I remember well)

or did you know that de_jeep2k was an alpha vehicle test map? I played that map non stop as a kid, back in the days when opening a server with "new game" filled up in 10 minutes.
WTF are you talking about?
I DIDN'T say updates never existed(happened), I said numbers never existed in the game name. so what, Alfred updated the game lately, did he say anything about the numbers? is it 1.8 or 1.9 ? people still call it CS 1.6 while there's no "1.6" in the game name.

Quote:
look here if you have nothing to do and want to learn some counter strike history
http://counterstrike.wikia.com/wiki/...Strike_patches
No thanks.

Last edited by AmineKyo; 08-19-2015 at 14:05.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-19-2015 , 14:41   Re: just a lil misunderstanding.
Reply With Quote #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmineKyo View Post
WTF are you talking about?
I DIDN'T say updates never existed(happened), I said numbers never existed in the game name. so what, Alfred updated the game lately, did he say anything about the numbers? is it 1.8 or 1.9 ? people still call it CS 1.6 while there's no "1.6" in the game name.
They don't exist now, but that's completely different to having never existed.

The reason the Steam version of Counter-Strike is generally referred to as 1.6 is because it was the next version following Counter-Strike 1.5, which did have a number in its name. Or more accurately, in its description (it was Counter-Strike version 1.5).

Last edited by Powerlord; 08-19-2015 at 14:41.
aron9forever
Veteran Member
Old 08-19-2015 , 15:23   Re: What is the point in developing so much good stuff to Amx Mod X, if it can't keep
Reply With Quote #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by addons_zz View Post
Because costs much more money to keep updating CS 1.6, to new graphics engines, is much less expensive to discard lot of old stuff and place new ones instead of made the old and good, keep good an new.

And talking about have the same maps and plugins, to new ones, would require, much workaround (ugly hacks, much development time) I think.
bullshit, you can't just "upgrade" graphics and other crap on the fly on an engine build to work on computers weaker than a 50$ smartphone today

although there could be one useful thing done, and that is removing hardcoded numeric limits on some things that can be easily handled by modern computers and doesn't require that much work. I'm talking about entities (already done), change voice codec(already done), resource limit(512), download speeds(limited at 30kB/s), increase or remove player limit(tehnically it can't be very high because HLDS is single threaded so after a certain point the server would stop working, but it can be at least 64). That's all I came up with on the spot but I'm sure there's more
useless small optimizations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
On a map that is 512x512x128 units you end up with 3,355,443,200,000 different "positions". To store each one of those positions individually in the variable "user_or" you need 12 terabytes of memory.
AmineKyo
فوق سريرك
Old 08-19-2015 , 15:53   Re: just a lil misunderstanding.
Reply With Quote #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
They don't exist now, but that's completely different to having never existed.
fk.. yes I don't know why I said they never existed in the game name xD, as I remember I played the CS 1.5 as a kid.
Old 08-19-2015 , 16:29   Re: What is the point in developing so much good stuff to Amx Mod X, if it can't keep
Reply With Quote #36

Quote:
bullshit, you can't just "upgrade" graphics and other crap on the fly on an engine build to work on computers weaker than a 50$ smartphone today
how they did CSPromod or CSO they updated the original CS 1.6...
Old 08-19-2015 , 18:07   Re: What is the point in developing so much good stuff to Amx Mod X, if it can't keep
Reply With Quote #37

Quote:

although there could be one useful thing done, and that is removing hardcoded numeric limits on some things that can be easily handled by modern computers and doesn't require that much work. I'm talking about entities (already done), change voice codec(already done), resource limit(512), download speeds(limited at 30kB/s), increase or remove player limit(tehnically it can't be very high because HLDS is single threaded so after a certain point the server would stop working, but it can be at least 64). That's all I came up with on the spot but I'm sure there's more
Yeahhh, that's right you can't "upgrade" graphics and other crap on the fly on an engine build to work on computers weaker than a 50$ smartphone today.

Such thing would require, much workaround (ugly hacks, much development time). But your are saying that exists something impossible to be done?

fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 08-19-2015 , 19:25   Re: What is the point in developing so much good stuff to Amx Mod X, if it can't keep
Reply With Quote #38

You are certainly welcome to create your own HL1 modification but don't expect it to get much attention.
Old 08-19-2015 , 19:55   Re: What is the point in developing so much good stuff to Amx Mod X, if it can't keep
Reply With Quote #39

If you like the game that uses AMXX mod and you have people who want to play said game, then develop whatever you want in AMXX mod.

Frankly I would not care if sourcemod went abandoned so long as it doesn't break in future game updates (e.g. gamedata remains updated). The API is rock solid as it is now.
addons_zz
Veteran Member
Old 08-19-2015 , 20:07   Re: What is the point in developing so much good stuff to Amx Mod X, if it can't keep
Reply With Quote #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
You are certainly welcome to create your own HL1 modification but don't expect it to get much attention.
Oh, thank you very much.