Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

How to advance in Pawning.

Post New Thread Reply   

supertrio17
Old 05-29-2020 , 15:09   How to advance in Pawning.
Reply With Quote #1

Hi, so I already read every document, and site and I preatty much learnd the basics of pawning, but I can't get from that level.

I already read Pawn Picture Tutorial, and I think I understand it well enough, but there is so much more to learn to become more advanced, so I want some advices to learn all functions and natives and what not.

So can you give me a little bit more explanation, how did you become better this, or some helpful links and tips.
I know that half of you will be like just start writing (I already am) or you will learn with time, but if anyone has some useful advice I would like to hear it.

Thanks in advance
OciXCrom
Veteran Member
Old 05-29-2020 , 15:37   Re: How to advance in Pawning.
Reply With Quote #2

By taking a look at simpler plugins, trying to edit them and eventually rewrite them. Advance the complexity of the plugins step by step when you feel comfortable moving on. At least that's how I learned.

You don't need to "learn all functions and natives". Nobody knows them all. You can always use the API when you need to search for a function or see what it does - https://www.amxmodx.org/api/
Old 05-29-2020 , 15:41   Re: How to advance in Pawning.
Reply With Quote #3

Yea, but I already know how to do that, but I want to get more familiar with terms and what not. The way I work now is every single thing I do I have to look up on google how to do.

So I was wondering about some useful links where I can find some usefull information.
CrazY.
Veteran Member
Old 05-29-2020 , 16:23   Re: How to advance in Pawning.
Reply With Quote #4

Hello, some people learn through reading, others through videos, I myself became better by doing, not only amxx but programming in general. You just need to define the method that most applies to you and stick to it; knowledge comes with time, as long you put some effort.

Try to create a plugin, even if it has already been done by someone. If you have doubts, google is your best friend. If you can't find a solution to your problem, ask in a forum, there are always those who like to help others.

Wish you luck, hope I've helped in some way

EDIT: this link should be helpful, https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=172936

Last edited by CrazY.; 05-29-2020 at 16:25.
Bugsy
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 05-29-2020 , 23:40   Re: How to advance in Pawning.
Reply With Quote #5

Key thing in my opinion is learning the Pawn syntax so you know how to create code, AMX-X/game aside. For example, creating if statements, loops, defining variables/arrays/constants, case statements, defining functions, etc.

Next is learning how plugins work in the game.. Registering events to trigger things, creating commands that players can use, hooking functions, etc.

Reviewing existing plugins can help you learn both. I would be careful with which code you review as you do not want to learn from code that is poorly written. You need to put in some time and have motivation to learn. The forum is very active and there are plenty of people to help you with questions.

I would start with thinking of a plugin idea of your own, then find it on the forums and review the code to see how it's done.

Last edited by Bugsy; 05-29-2020 at 23:48.
thEsp
BANNED
Old 05-30-2020 , 12:29   Re: How to advance in Pawning.
Reply With Quote #6

I think it's also necessary to know English before starting programming. Now, Pawn (or Small C) isn't really a hard language to master, especially if you know any other language beforehand, like C for example which has the closest syntax.

But the main thing here is to learn how the game functions, i.e how entities behave, how weapons work, how the game intercepts players' input etc. I'm not saying you should know all of it, but simply the basics. Let's say if you want to make a player jump higher, you should know how to hook jumping and deal with player's velocity.

There are quiet a lot of resources where you can learn this, reverse-engineer projects and AMXX core module being some of them, but they require a substantial knowledge of C++. As mentioned, tutorials and the documentation are definitely the best sources. Although I'm not a big fan of learning programming from videos, because you can't fundamentally learn a language that way, and especially Pawn for AMXX. However you can use them generally to understand specific things easier.

One common mistake people make is learning a programming language by rote which is for example learning what 1 + 2 counts instead of how to count, and Pawn is no exception.

As for making plugins, I think it all comes down to ideas, which are dependently formed based on what type of person you are, your hobby, patience and will.

Last edited by thEsp; 05-30-2020 at 12:48.