Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

[ANY] Smacbans 0.2.0 (Updated 2013/05/13)

Post New Thread Reply   

thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 05-01-2013 , 20:51   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreaper View Post
Back on topic, just letting everyone know a whitelist version of this plugin will be posted here later today.
Was asked to write it up while I was at work, but I'm just now getting home and it's already 8PM... Dragon's Prophet beta had a character wipe yesterday, and I'm very tempted to stay up all night playing it, so I'll fulfill the request by Sunday if necessary.

I'm just going to do a simple KV file that lists Steams that are exempt from code execution on the latest version available, and likely provide a text file detailing the changes made for future versions as I have no intention of supporting it.

Last edited by thetwistedpanda; 05-01-2013 at 20:56.
CuriousG
Old 05-02-2013 , 01:15   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #42

Bottom line is the author(s) chooses not to use a whitelist that's their prerogative. Just like you can choose to use or not use this plugin. There's no need to debate the merit how people end up on the banlist. There are still thousands of TF2 servers to play on. Nobody is forcing you to use the plugin.
ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 05-02-2013 , 05:17   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #43

Conversely, people would be more likely to use the plugin if they had the option to allow certain people on the list into their servers anyway.

I can't help but think that the plugin authors are... confused on what exactly this request means. These people asking for a whitelist function are not asking for the ability to edit your database of banned users. Nor are they asserting that the bans are "invalid" in any way. They simply want that little extra bit of control over their own servers. They want to tell their LOCAL INSTALLATION of the plugin to ignore the fact that a particular Steam ID is on the uneditable list.

I do not know anyone on that list. I don't plan on getting to know any of them; they are essentially all scum. However, I do not know what events will come my way. Let's say that, one day, for some unknown reason, I really need to let a particular person onto my server. But I'm running this plugin, and he's on their list. I would have to completely unload the plugin for the duration of this person's connection. That is not desirable. Or let's say that my boyfriend's younger brother borrows my boyfriend's account, and stupidly gets his older brother put on this list? Will I be forced to uninstall the plugin to let my lover into my own server?

While I would enjoy the convenience that this plugin brings in the war against cheating douchebags, I want complete control over my server, within the bounds that Valve has set. These plugin authors say that, as long as their plugin is installed, I am not allowed to control my own server. If this is the case, their plugin will not be installed at all. :\

If the authors have a desire for their plugin to be used on many servers, then they need to appeal to the server owners. They need to give the server owners control over what their own servers do. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE SERVER OWNERS SHOULD BE ABLE TO EDIT THE CENTRAL DATABASE, NOR DOES IT MEAN THAT ANYONE BELIEVES THE LIST ENTRIES ARE INVALID.

Last edited by ddhoward; 05-02-2013 at 05:21.
cREANy0
SourceMod Donor
Old 05-02-2013 , 06:20   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreaper View Post
Back on topic, just letting everyone know a whitelist version of this plugin will be posted here later today.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhoward View Post
Conversely, people would be more likely to use the plugin if they had the option to allow certain people on the list into their servers anyway.

I can't help but think that the plugin authors are... confused on what exactly this request means. These people asking for a whitelist function are not asking for the ability to edit your database of banned users. Nor are they asserting that the bans are "invalid" in any way. They simply want that little extra bit of control over their own servers. They want to tell their LOCAL INSTALLATION of the plugin to ignore the fact that a particular Steam ID is on the uneditable list.

I do not know anyone on that list. I don't plan on getting to know any of them; they are essentially all scum. However, I do not know what events will come my way. Let's say that, one day, for some unknown reason, I really need to let a particular person onto my server. But I'm running this plugin, and he's on their list. I would have to completely unload the plugin for the duration of this person's connection. That is not desirable. Or let's say that my boyfriend's younger brother borrows my boyfriend's account, and stupidly gets his older brother put on this list? Will I be forced to uninstall the plugin to let my lover into my own server?

While I would enjoy the convenience that this plugin brings in the war against cheating douchebags, I want complete control over my server, within the bounds that Valve has set. These plugin authors say that, as long as their plugin is installed, I am not allowed to control my own server. If this is the case, their plugin will not be installed at all. :\

If the authors have a desire for their plugin to be used on many servers, then they need to appeal to the server owners. They need to give the server owners control over what their own servers do. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE SERVER OWNERS SHOULD BE ABLE TO EDIT THE CENTRAL DATABASE, NOR DOES IT MEAN THAT ANYONE BELIEVES THE LIST ENTRIES ARE INVALID.
Thank you that you are trying to make it clear and thanks for help.
Old 05-02-2013 , 06:27   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #45

You DO have full control over your server if you're the owner, and yes, we do get your point.

We give you the opportunity to use or not use or altering this plugin. However. We're not going to add this to the official code at this point.

Last edited by MadMakz; 05-02-2013 at 06:30.
HSFighter
Veteran Member
Old 05-02-2013 , 06:44   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #46

We have full appreciation that admins want full control over his server.

But have appreciation with us that we dount support cheaters!
VAC, Steambans and many other anticheat plugins/global banlists have no whitelist to.

The code of this plugin ist free and it's free to modify it if someone will support cheaters!!!

But Smacbans.com will never help cheating Players!

Sorry for my very bad english
Greetings HSFighter

Last edited by HSFighter; 05-02-2013 at 06:55.
Send a message via ICQ to HSFighter
HSFighter
Veteran Member
Old 05-02-2013 , 09:03   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #47

We are a democratic community and the this point (Whitelist) it's just discussed internally with us again.

So please stay cool and wait...

Greetings HSFighter

Last edited by HSFighter; 05-02-2013 at 09:05.
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 05-02-2013 , 09:08   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #48

Local (untested) whitelist version attached. It hasn't been tested and it was written within five minutes, so do yell at me if it doesn't work and I'll repair it after I get off of work. Created on v0.1.9 of the plugin. All the plugin does is check the local KV and if the Steam exists, it returns before any code gets executed.
  • smacbans-whitelist.ini goes within /sourcemod/configs/

Modifications for future versions.
Spoiler
Attached Files
File Type: smx smacbans-block.smx (18.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (smacbans-block.sp - 90 views - 38.5 KB)
File Type: ini smacbans-whitelist.ini (173 Bytes, 83 views)

Last edited by thetwistedpanda; 05-02-2013 at 09:29.
cREANy0
SourceMod Donor
Old 05-02-2013 , 10:05   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetwistedpanda View Post
Local (untested) whitelist version attached. It hasn't been tested and it was written within five minutes, so do yell at me if it doesn't work and I'll repair it after I get off of work. Created on v0.1.9 of the plugin. All the plugin does is check the local KV and if the Steam exists, it returns before any code gets executed.
  • smacbans-whitelist.ini goes within /sourcemod/configs/

Modifications for future versions.
Spoiler
Thank you for your work!
I will test it today.

greetz cREANy0
Old 05-03-2013 , 08:28   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSFighter View Post
We are a democratic community and this point (Whitelist) it's just discussed internally with us again.

So please stay cool and wait...
We found a solution wich makes probably both sides happy.

The next version of our plugin includes a interface (forward) to intervene in the plugin.
This make it possible to write any extensions (a plugin to) for our plugin. (e.g. a whitelist)

So we can prevent the plugin is aviable in several versions
and other users can write extensions without smacbans.com is involved.

This should be the best solution for both sides.

Greetings HSFighter

Last edited by HSFighter; 05-03-2013 at 08:35.