Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

custom campaigns dedicated server left 4 dead 2

Post New Thread Reply   

jpcapone
Old 04-15-2021 , 22:05   custom campaigns dedicated server left 4 dead 2
Reply With Quote #1

Ok i am pretty much at my wits end. I have been trying to use custom campaigns on my l4d2 dedicated server and I am out of ideas. I tried campaign manager but it says to put the vpk files in the addons folder and the mission txt file in the mission directory. ok so for starters there was no missions folder. figured that out. i can load the server then launch the custom campaign from the sm admin menu. the server kicks me out. then when i try to join it said a map was missing. moved the map to the maps folder on the server tried to load the map manually now it seems the client doesn't have the map. Along the way i find that folder structures have changed due to updates and all other types of craziness. Can anyone point in the right direction as to how to load custom campaigns up on my dedicated server?
jpcapone
Old 04-15-2021 , 23:36   Re: custom campaigns dedicated server left 4 dead 2
Reply With Quote #2

Looks like i have to install the vpk on the clients directly in the addons direcotry. i don't think there is any way to do it via a fastdl setup like csgo. also, for the server it appears that its best to just choose the map via the console start up commands. I was hoping there was a seemless way to ensure that loading a campaign from the server side would just force al of the clients to have to go through the maps associated with the specific add on. can anyone shed some light on that?
Kr3m
Old 08-22-2021 , 18:53   Re: custom campaigns dedicated server left 4 dead 2
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcapone View Post
Looks like i have to install the vpk on the clients directly in the addons direcotry. i don't think there is any way to do it via a fastdl setup like csgo. also, for the server it appears that its best to just choose the map via the console start up commands. I was hoping there was a seemless way to ensure that loading a campaign from the server side would just force al of the clients to have to go through the maps associated with the specific add on. can anyone shed some light on that?
The easiest way to do this is to put workshop.py from here in your addons folder. https://github.com/Geam/steam_workshop_downloader

Once you do that, create a custom workshop collection and start adding files to it. Grab the number from the url where your collection is, and run ./workshop.py <collection_number> I just add new campaigns to my workshop collection and rerun the script when I need to add new campaigns. It also wouldn't hurt to download and install GCFScape from here so you can open vpk files, open the maps folder, and select the correct map to add to your server config since most campaign authors can't seem to be bothered to list the map names for people running dedicated servers.

https://nemstools.github.io/pages/GC...-Download.html
jpcapone
Old 09-17-2022 , 12:26   Re: custom campaigns dedicated server left 4 dead 2
Reply With Quote #4

I know this is late but thank you very much for the detailed post. I came back to l4d2 after over a year and I am redoing things I had done then and finding my old posts to keep me going. Thank you very much.

https://xkcd.com/979/