Plugin Version:
Plugin Category:
Gameplay
Plugin Game:
Left 4 Dead
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:
    Plugin Description:
    Sets the health of survivors to an even 50 if they have the default equipment and reach the safehouse with less
    Old 02-23-2009 , 04:03   L4D QuickNap (Expert Campaign Mod)
    Reply With Quote #1

Disclaimer

This time I'd like to thank Fyren, pk_, predcrab, MatthiasVance, Tsunami, and CrimsonGT for correcting my stupid mistakes. If anyone would like to absorb this plugin into a grander one, you have my full support, since it is pretty small.

History

It's the middle of the night. Zoey, Francis, and Louis are in a mad dash to reach what they hope is a safehouse, having just derailed a train straight into a bridge as a desperate attempt to escape the hordes of zombies rushing through the canyon like water from a broken dam. Bill stays behind to throw a molotov to create a firewall against the horde chokepoint, but then a hunter pounces him and he drops it at his feet, setting them both on fire. The other three would watch in horror as bill is devoured and burned alive, but they're too busy running from the tank they failed to kill in the train depot. Zoey, who only recently joined the group after the unlucky demise of its other female member (who also happened to be named Zoey, no relation) is barely clinging to life after fending off the hungry hordes with a measly pump shotgun.

The safehouse is in sight, and all the zombies are behind them. Louis opens the door and waves his arm emphatically beckoning the others to get inside. Francis and Louis are safe inside, but Zoey is lagging behind from a limp she sustained when she was pulled off the roof by a smoker. She grabs hold of the doorframe in complete exhaustion, and it almost seems as if everyone will make it, then suddenly:

Francis, with an evil grin, turns on Zoey, and pumps two autoshotgun shells right into her face.

Her utter shock and anguish fails to express itself on her mangled face as she plummets to the ground, dead long before her knees fail her. Francis screams Zoey's name in tragic triumph, and Louis only nods silently and closes the safehouse door.

Has this ever happened to you? Many people who are repeatedly rescued from survivor closets in expert will get to the safehouse checkpoint and realize that if they killed themselves, they would get to start the next map with a free 50 health and no penalty, since they have no special items. This is pretty game-breaking and frustrating when you have to start with no medkits at the beginning of Dead Air 3 ... or any 3rd Left 4 Dead level on expert.

Summary

All this mod does is check if you only have the starter equipment and less than 50 permanent health. It then sets your health to 50. That's it. Those sleeping bags aren't for nothing, you know.

CVar(s):
    • forty_winks: 1 means that this plugin is on, any other number means it's off. This cvar has no flags, because most of the time it will be up to the players to decide if they want it.
    • coffee_mug: 1 means that players will get a menu if they qualify for the 50 health flatline, which they can dismiss if they want true vanilla or want to keep their pill health.
    Installation:
    1. Copy QuickNap.smx to the Sourcemod plugins directory (default: <gamedir>/addons/sourcemod/plugins/)
    2. Change the map on your server (or restart it) to force the plugin to load.
    3. Thank Milo for letting me copy his post this much.
    Usage:

If your permanent health is less than 50, and you only have a pump shotgun or an SMG and a single pistol, you'll get the bonus. It won't interfere with achievements.

Notes:
    • This mod only checks permanent health. If you have 49 health, and take pills right before you enter the safehouse, you'll end up with 50 health and no bonus temp health, unless you dismiss the option.
    • This mod has no effect on people with permanent health above 50 or any non-starter items in their inventory.
    • This mod is obviously not applicable to versus mode.
    • I realize that this mod makes certain achievements (Unbreakable) much easier while making certain other achievements (Dead Giveaway) harder. Oh well.
    Possible features to be added in future versions:
    • Making the 50 health bonus an offer rather than a mandatory condition, so players can decide by themselves if they want to play vanilla.
    • Code the option to disable the unbreakable achievement while this plugin is in use.
    • Count temporary health as a factor so pills aren't wasted or abused.
    Version history
    • Version 1.0
      • Mod made public
    • Version 1.1
      • coffee_mug convar and voting menu added
      • Autoconfig script added
    Feedback

Please tell me if you experience funny things with temp health or any other issue when playing an entire campaign where this plugin is triggered a lot. Also, if you want other qualifications to get the 50 health even on next round, tell me about them and I'll put them in. The condition was the easy part.
    Attached Files
    File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (QuickNap.sp - 2077 views - 7.4 KB)
    File Type: smx QuickNap.smx (4.0 KB, 984 views)

Last edited by kaffaljidhma; 02-23-2009 at 06:31.
    NiteCyper
    Old 01-09-2010 , 19:08   Re: L4D QuickNap (Expert Campaign Mod)
    Reply With Quote #2

1. Kill person with <50 stable-health that had a tier-2-weapon in safe-room.
    2. Server remembers items in safe-room.
    3. Victim gets 50 stable-health and (a chance to get) their weapon back.
    4. Curse conditions for this plugin's "sleep".
    5. I don't think the hero-closet-victim is considered a new person, but I don't know what the hell else they could be.
    triggerman
    Old 01-09-2010 , 21:57   Re: L4D QuickNap (Expert Campaign Mod)
    Reply With Quote #3

you should probably use a more practical plugin name and some practical cvar names.
    Old 05-27-2010 , 12:39   Re: L4D QuickNap (Expert Campaign Mod)
    Reply With Quote #4

Hi

I would like to work with "weapon_pipe_bomb" and "weapon_molotov"

Can someone recompile this plugin?

Thanks
    awek
    Old 05-27-2010 , 23:45   Re: L4D QuickNap (Expert Campaign Mod)
    Reply With Quote #5

UP
    ZBzibing
    Old 01-23-2022 , 12:52   Re: L4D QuickNap (Expert Campaign Mod)
    Reply With Quote #6

The problem you encountered has also bothered us. Our solution, if a teammate commits suicide in order to obtain the 50 life, we will give the newly rescued person the amount of virtual blood that can be set, 50-70 is more reasonable
    Silvers
    SourceMod Plugin Approver
    Old 01-23-2022 , 13:01   Re: L4D QuickNap (Expert Campaign Mod)
    Reply With Quote #7

Who are you replying to? The last post was 12 years ago...