Suggestion :)

Post New Thread Reply   

AcidoX
Old 12-25-2008 , 15:49   Suggestion :)
Reply With Quote #1

Hi xoR, i have a suggestion of adding server ping in the server menu
xOR
Veteran Member
Old 12-26-2008 , 11:39   Re: Suggestion :)
Reply With Quote #2

if i do that between my two game servers it will show a ping of 0.7 ms. what my dedicated servers running on a 70 gbit/s backbone have as a ping to other servers really isn't an indication on the real latency a player with some home dsl (or even isdn) would have on that server, especially on servers within the same server provider (the most common setup) you should always find times under 1 ms.

also i can't make that measurement for the client as i can't execute any ping commands on him. a third party just can't find out what latency two other parties would have between each other.

of course i am not saying it's impossible, you could do it the other way, by having the server ping the client:
- server 1 sends server 2 the command "ping this IP of the player i got here"
- server 2 pings this IP
- server 2 sends the result back to server 1
- server 1 displays it to the client

doing that is not realistic however for several reasons:
- it's very much work to be done for that little display value
- all this takes time, imagine how this feature would perform in the 20 server chains we got, we would have to make the procedure described above 20 times
- pinging a player is not guaranteed to work, many firewalls and routers block this, so the client just doesn't answer and all the work was for nothing
- i don't even know whether AMXX is capable of that - the sockets module only knows TCP and UDP, not ICMP - so i would have to write a module library for it first or extend the sockets library, again much work
- it would need a very secure protocol between the servers - otherwise other people could abuse the feature that a server can be commanded to flood someone else with pings through your server

of course i would never have expected you to know all that. so i still give you +karma because the idea is basically pretty good, just not practicable.

Last edited by xOR; 12-26-2008 at 11:53.