Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

View Poll Results: Would you like the new subforum `State of the Art Approved Plugins`?
Absolutely YES! 9 45.00%
Yes 2 10.00%
So, so 2 10.00%
No 1 5.00%
Are you kidding? No. 4 20.00%
Absolutely NO! 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Why not a new `Approved Plugins` section?

Post New Thread Reply   

HamletEagle
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 09-25-2016 , 13:10   Re: Why not a new `Approved Plugins` section?
Reply With Quote #21

I'm simply trying to explain that what you want is not practical. Things change and there is no point in keep checking the same plugins over and over and over. We should really focus on new ones.

I'm not against some cleaning in approved section, but we don't have the human resources to do that. Who can go through 103 pages of plugins and check all of them? We can't deal with 15 pages of new plugins. Let's be realistic.

https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=60692 9 years have passed since this and nothing changed.

If you want and can do that, please make a list so others can check easily.

Last edited by HamletEagle; 09-25-2016 at 13:11.
ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 09-25-2016 , 16:29   Re: Why not a new `Approved Plugins` section?
Reply With Quote #22

In the Sourcemod section, there is no longer any "Approved" section. There is only "Plugins" and "Unapproved Plugins"

This is the best course of action, IMO. Do away with the approval process entirely. Too much work for too little staff with too little time. If a plugin is bad, then it can still be moved to the Unapproved section, however.

Last edited by ddhoward; 09-25-2016 at 16:40.
Old 09-25-2016, 16:34
fysiks
This message has been deleted by fysiks. Reason: nvm
Old 09-25-2016, 16:37
ddhoward
This message has been deleted by ddhoward. Reason: reply to a deleted post
Depresie
Veteran Member
Old 09-25-2016 , 17:45   Re: Why not a new `Approved Plugins` section?
Reply With Quote #23

If we would do that on the amx section...

Brace yourselves, the huge waves of idiots posting two line codes in the Approved Section are coming
Old 09-25-2016 , 18:08   Re: Why not a new `Approved Plugins` section?
Reply With Quote #24

A two line plugin would be quick for a staff member to review, and send to Unapproved.
Old 09-25-2016 , 18:22   Re: Why not a new `Approved Plugins` section?
Reply With Quote #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depresie View Post
If we would do that on the amx section...

Brace yourselves, the huge waves of idiots posting two line codes in the Approved Section are coming
The SM section is more active than the AMXX section, is it not?

Regardless, we don't see 2 liner garbage in the plugins section (maybe once in a month).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhoward View Post
In the Sourcemod section, there is no longer any "Approved" section. There is only "Plugins" and "Unapproved Plugins"

This is the best course of action, IMO. Do away with the approval process entirely. Too much work for too little staff with too little time. If a plugin is bad, then it can still be moved to the Unapproved section, however.
Historically AMXX has been anal over plugin submissions. For example, I have noticed that you are forbidden from posting amxx files (unlike us who can post smx files if it doesn't compile on the forums) and you have to contact a moderator to compile it for you. I don't know why they have this policy in place, but these kinds of things are probably why they still may want to keep an approval system...

Last edited by Potato Uno; 09-25-2016 at 18:24.
Depresie
Veteran Member
Old 09-25-2016 , 19:16   Re: Why not a new `Approved Plugins` section?
Reply With Quote #26

The main reason why already compiled plugins are not allowed is because they could contain malicious code inside, such as redirects, hidden commands, back doors, etc

The idea of having plugin approving is good, it is assuring the quality of the plugins

Well, here in the amx section we have many romanians, russians and worst of all, arabs who are gonna fuck shit up if we are gonna use the format of the source mod section
Yes, call me racist, but from my point of view, this is common sense or statistics

Also, i don't think the SM section is more popular than the AMXX section, look at the post / thread numbers

Last edited by Depresie; 09-25-2016 at 19:23.
Craxor
Veteran Member
Old 09-26-2016 , 01:56   Re: Why not a new `Approved Plugins` section?
Reply With Quote #27

That's because sorucemod will be always with 10 years in plus rather than amxmodx ( same comparation for cs16/cs:go ).

( But i still prefere amxx ... <3 )
addons_zz
Veteran Member
Old 09-26-2016 , 06:20   Re: Why not a new `Approved Plugins` section?
Reply With Quote #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamletEagle View Post
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=60692 9 years have passed since this and nothing changed.

That is interesting thing. However look better to do opposite, instead of point the bad ones, point the good ones. For example, all your approved plugins are recent and would be moved into this new sub-forum. And 10 years from now, when everything is dirty again, we do the new section clean up, merging its old contents with the old Approved Plugins section.

So, doing the opposite, i.e., removing the ones you (approvers) know that are good ones would create a very small section containing good plugins, which could be better to the server operators firstly choose plugins from. And former, they go to the old Approved Plugins sequentially, when not found what they want to. And if they want to take a risk, to the New Plugins Submissions and Unapproved Plugins section lastly.

Basically, you do not need to fully review 990 plugins' pages. Just create a small section picking some you know by head, for starters. This new section does not to be complete or close to that, just need to be something new to start the movement.

Support me on Patreon, Ko-fi, Liberapay or Open Collective

Last edited by addons_zz; 09-26-2016 at 07:56. Reason: update
HamletEagle
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 09-26-2016 , 07:16   Re: Why not a new `Approved Plugins` section?
Reply With Quote #29

You can't know if a plugin is good until you review it. I would not blindly move something because it was approved 3 or 5 years ago. Also, what you do with plugins that are decent but still not at current approval level? Coders are inactive so you end up by fucking everything. Even if you do so, from 103 pages you remain with 102. Very helpful... Who needs a new empty section? Please, have some common sense. When we will be able to handle the sections we have right now let's talk about another.
A new section is bullshit, doing some cleaning in already existing one is the way to go, but no people to do it...

As for new plugins, anyone can review pligins. When you are done, ask an approver to check, that will make our job easier. You don't need a rank for helping the community.

Last edited by HamletEagle; 09-26-2016 at 07:24.
gabuch2
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-26-2016 , 09:18   Re: Why not a new `Approved Plugins` section?
Reply With Quote #30

A section like SM's would be better IMHO (Plugins and Unapproved plugins).

If a plugin is broken people should be able to report the thread so it can be reviewed and moved to unapproved if necessary.