Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Learning C++ for Coding Extentions

Post New Thread Reply   

Doc-Holiday
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-20-2013 , 19:05   Learning C++ for Coding Extentions
Reply With Quote #1

I know the wiki has really good info that is focused on the extensions however.. For those of us like me that have absolutely no background in anything but pawn/sourcepawn where would you recommend starting?

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrica...uary-iap-2011/

This is one place I have found and have saved the lecture notes+lab/assignments to begin reading through them and checking it out... however This is just an intro.

I also have a C++ book for dummies which i will eventually finish looking through haha...

Any where else you guys think would help?

I wont be taking any programming classes until I'm in my Bachelors program. The Associates program covers basic network administration and what not..

Again thanks for help.

EDIT: Places linked to on the MIT Page.
http://cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Introduction_to_C++
http://cplus.about.com/od/learning1/...rams_in_It.htm

Last edited by Doc-Holiday; 04-20-2013 at 19:25.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 04-21-2013 , 22:13   Re: Learning C++ for Coding Extentions
Reply With Quote #2

C before c++ imo, too bad extensions are cpp :/

Last edited by friagram; 04-21-2013 at 22:14.
Doc-Holiday
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-22-2013 , 00:51   Re: Re: Learning C++ for Coding Extentions
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
C before c++ imo, too bad extensions are cpp :/
From many sources they say that learning C first will cause you to have to unlearn some when writing proper C++
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 04-22-2013 , 04:09   Re: Learning C++ for Coding Extentions
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-Holiday View Post
From many sources they say that learning C first will cause you to have to unlearn some when writing proper C++
Indeed, learning C first is completely counter-productive. However, the Source Engine is very C-like (and a complete mess), and doesn't make a good getting-into-C++ project.

Disclaimer: My first C++ experience was writing TF2Items, a SourceMod extension.
Old 04-22-2013 , 04:44   Re: Learning C++ for Coding Extentions
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
Indeed, learning C first is completely counter-productive. However, the Source Engine is very C-like (and a complete mess), and doesn't make a good getting-into-C++ project.

Disclaimer: My first C++ experience was writing TF2Items, a SourceMod extension.
My goal is to be able to read and understand what is going on in and write extensions for SM.

My Project I am working on is creating a dice game score card. The came is called 10,000 or Farkle.

Rules:
To start the scoring process you must get 1000 points during 1 turn.
Winner is first to a score >= 10,000
Once a player reaches said goal. Every other player has 1 last turn to beat that score and win.

Scoring: 6x 6 sided die
1 = 100 points
5 = 50 points
3 of a kind = faceValue * 100
4 of a kind = (3 of a kind) * 2
5 of a kind = (4 of a kind) * 2
6 of a kind = (5 of a kind) * 2
1-6 straight = 1500 points
3 pairs = 1500 points
2x 3 of a kinds = 2500 points

Game Play:
You must keep 1 scoring die per roll.
Once all 6 score you may roll all 6 and keep a running total.
If no dice score you 'Farkle' that turn counts for 0 points
Once the initial 1000 points is met per player they can save their points and pass the dice to the next player at any time.

I have some of this set up where it just adds the points to the players. Eventually it will keep a running total of all the dice scored. Eventually plan to make this graphical to as the console can get hard to follow at times.

This is only a score calculator.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Farkle.zip (305.2 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by Doc-Holiday; 04-22-2013 at 09:44.
Ajaxx
Old 04-22-2013 , 11:40   Re: Learning C++ for Coding Extentions
Reply With Quote #6

It’s not free ($29/month) but Pluralsight (http://www.pluralsight.com/training/Courses) has some courses, that in my opinion, are great for learning the basics quick. They’re video courses that you follow along with. They have a number of C++ courses. They also have a 10 day free trial.
Doc-Holiday
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-23-2013 , 03:54   Re: Learning C++ for Coding Extentions
Reply With Quote #7

Ok So i was able to finally get the damn VS10 to compile an extension using the sample.

I've read the Tutorial Is there anything further on hooking various events and what not.. the tutorial kinda just assumes you know how to do that.. Most of the various extensions already posted are quite complex in what they do..

I've been looking through Dr!fter flash tools as it seems much more simpler. Just not sure where he is actually doing the detours.

Any extensions you guys recommend to review and study?

Last edited by Doc-Holiday; 04-23-2013 at 04:18.
blaize
Old 04-23-2013 , 04:23   Re: Learning C++ for Coding Extentions
Reply With Quote #8

Hello.
Many people think learning C before C++ is counter productive but I don't think it's really. Indeed, learning C will make you familiar with how the things work really behind. Some C concept are easy to understand (pointer, function pointer, ...) and will make you strong base for begining learn C++ (references, functors..)
Writing pure object oriented program in C++ is very human readable but can lead to huge lack of efficiency and complexity.
So, in my opinion, I think you should first take a look at how C work (just take a look, no need to learn entire libc^^) then start learning C++ and see the differences and how objects works.
Don't forget to look at the STL (http://en.cppreference.com/w/ or http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/) for the standard library and Boost (http://www.boost.org/) for a powerfull template-based library.
Writing an sourcemod extensions can just be writing an sourcemod interface for a C++ program.

Have fun!
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-23-2013 , 09:30   Re: Learning C++ for Coding Extentions
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-Holiday View Post
Ok So i was able to finally get the damn VS10 to compile an extension using the sample.

I've read the Tutorial Is there anything further on hooking various events and what not.. the tutorial kinda just assumes you know how to do that.. Most of the various extensions already posted are quite complex in what they do..
The tutorial you linked to is for converting MetaMod: Source plugins to SourceMod extensions, not for writing extensions from scratch. There is a separate tutorial for writing that.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-23-2013 , 17:33   Re: Re: Learning C++ for Coding Extentions
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
The tutorial you linked to is for converting MetaMod: Source plugins to SourceMod extensions, not for writing extensions from scratch. There is a separate tutorial for writing that.
Must of clicked the wrong link but that is the one I read.