Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

MMOFPS

Post New Thread Reply   

SC4RYK1DS
Old 07-27-2007 , 17:37   MMOFPS
Reply With Quote #1

Does anyone know of any fun mmofps games?
Besides cs and css and cz, hl,hl2...

like Other MMOFPS games.
Help me out?
allenwr
Veteran Member
Old 07-27-2007 , 17:46   Re: MMOFPS
Reply With Quote #2

your kidding right? I can only think of a few that are "mass" BF2, 2142... couple others, but they havent made one yet as far as I know that goes about like 100...
TheNewt
Donor
Old 07-27-2007 , 19:29   Re: MMOFPS
Reply With Quote #3

allenwr, don't mean to burst your bubble but games like Diablo2 are MMO, simply becuase a massive multiplayer connection to the server, Halo 2 in a way is a MMOFPS since everyone connects to the server and can join random games with several other people. But yeah, 'CS' 'CSS' 'BF2' 'BF:2142' are all mmofps.
allenwr
Veteran Member
Old 07-27-2007 , 19:39   Re: MMOFPS
Reply With Quote #4

Ok, sorry... to me MMO means like 64+ people... 32 is not "massive" i think thats what the mmo thing is massive mutliplayer online, right?
Lee
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-27-2007 , 20:58   Re: MMOFPS
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Massively multiplayer online game (also called MMOG, MMO) is a computer game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet, and feature at least one persistent world. Some argue that small player-count games, with 200 and fewer players, are also part of the genre; the persistent world is probably the only "hard" requirement.
None of the the above games are remotely like an MMOG in any way.

List of MMOFPS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMOFPS

Last edited by Lee; 07-27-2007 at 21:01.
TheNewt
Donor
Old 07-27-2007 , 22:08   Re: MMOFPS
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Ok, sorry... to me MMO means like 64+ people... 32 is not "massive" i think thats what the mmo thing is massive mutliplayer online, right?
Np, most of the time MMO is just a matter of opinion, as Lee's opinion is "If it isn't all thousands of people playing at the exact same time, then its not MMO"
But seriously here is the definition of MMORPG
Quote:
Massive(ly) multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) is a genre of online role-playing video games (RPGs) in which a large number of players interact with one another in a virtual world.
Note the "In which a large number of players interact with one another in a virtual world.", let just say that, Diablo 2. Thousands and thousands of players can interact in the world, its only about 8 players per game, but it doesn't stop the interaction. You have chat rooms, and channels in which you can communicate, and then join the game with other people. Thus its an MMORPG

Counter-strike: Thousands of players play at the same time, not onthe same server, but its still a MASSIVE amount of MULTIPLAYERS at one time. Hence the MASSIVLY MULTIPLAYER in MMO.

The only difference between a multiplayer and a massively multiplayer is where you are limited by what you do. For example: Starcraft, you don't have a unit that levels up that you can carry throughout the games, same goes for the Warcraft series (technically these two, starcraft and warcraft, can be considered MMO since they have leaderboard functions). Final Fantasy, single player. Super Smash Bro's melee, multiplayer but only 4 people.

What about Halo 2? Halo 2 is THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of people playing for ranked positions. There is no character to save, but it is multiplayer with thousands of other people.

in short:
Quote:
None of the the above games are remotely like an MMOG in any way.
Yes they are. Don't lie. ;)
Lee
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-27-2007 , 22:50   Re: MMOFPS
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
as Lee's opinion is "If it isn't all thousands of people playing at the exact same time, then its not MMO"
That's not my opinion.

Quote:
Counter-strike: Thousands of players play at the same time, not onthe same server, but its still a MASSIVE amount of MULTIPLAYERS at one time. Hence the MASSIVLY MULTIPLAYER in MMO.
You patently have absolutely no idea what MMO means.

A requirement for a game to be considered MMO is that it has a persistent world. What that means is the world is (semi-)permanently affected by what goes on.

Retaining statistics of small-scale games is not the same and to say that a large chat room is relevant in any way is just silly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive...er_online_game
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MMOGs
TheNewt
Donor
Old 07-27-2007 , 23:15   Re: MMOFPS
Reply With Quote #8

It does not require a persistent world for it to be an MMO, think about dungeons and dragons. That is an massively multiplayer game, and constantly changes. What about neverwinter nights? Always changing with new dungeon masters, thus not a persistent world. You obviously have no idea what your even talking about. Stop arguing on an internet forum.
Lee
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-27-2007 , 23:31   Re: MMOFPS
Reply With Quote #9

So.. IGN made a mistake when awarding D&D with Best Persistent World Game of 2006?

I seem to be providing a lot of links contradicting what you say. Your logic implies that the definition of a word isn't governed by consensus but by the whim of the speaker.

Edit: Bioware state that NWN is an RPG - Wikipedia concurs. If you're interested, NWN can definitely be used as a persistent game world - but that in itself does not make it an MMORPG.

Don't let facts get in the way of your "opinions".

Last edited by Lee; 07-28-2007 at 00:46.
TheNewt
Donor
Old 07-27-2007 , 23:49   Re: MMOFPS
Reply With Quote #10

Gah, I'm not gonna bother arguing with you further. Obviously you have the whole "He said, so I must say" thing going.