Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Should we start accepting 1.9 only?

Post New Thread Reply   

Celena Luna
Veteran Member
Old 03-20-2022 , 22:54   Should we start accepting 1.9 only?
Reply With Quote #1

Like the title said, if we want AMXX 1.9 more stable and become the next stable version, should we ask the new plugin to use AMXX 1.9 instead of AMXX 1.8.2? For more feedback if there is a problem.

I saw many other forum are starting, some even forcing to use AMXX 1.9 to get support/post the code aswell.
Veteran Member
Old 03-21-2022 , 14:55   Re: Should we start accepting 1.9 only?
Reply With Quote #2

First we should release 1.9 as the official and stable version. Forcing plugins to use 1.9 when the site still says 1.9 is "unstable" (which is not true and is turning many people away) is very contradictory.
Old 03-22-2022 , 07:54   Re: Should we start accepting 1.9 only?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celena Luna View Post
I saw many other forum are starting, some even forcing to use AMXX 1.9 to get support/post
People shouldn't be forced to use AMXX 1.9, because this version is unstable, as the official website says. Another reason why people shouldn't be forced to use AMXX 1.9 is that many people use old(er) plugins, which are designed for older AMXX versions. Will their old(er) plugins work with the newest version, or will the plugins start giving errors?
CrazY.
Veteran Member
Old 03-22-2022 , 13:56   Re: Should we start accepting 1.9 only?
Reply With Quote #4

I would go with 190 for my own server, people still tend to use 182 though, so it depends. If you're making the plugins for a few bucks, you should probably support whatever amxmodx version your customer is using. If you're going to make the plugin public, you should support 182 AND later I would say, otherwise, that's more of a personal choice. Even though 190 isn't labeled as "stable" yet, it doesn't seem to have any problem with the core features. If you're using rehlds, you're pretty much forced to stick with 190 or later, 182 doesn't seem to work properly with rehlds, at least in my experience.

But one thing I would advise is to stay away from json module, had a lot of crashing issues with that one.

Last edited by CrazY.; 03-22-2022 at 14:12.
Natsheh
Veteran Member
Old 03-22-2022 , 14:27   Re: Should we start accepting 1.9 only?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazY. View Post
But one thing I would advise is to stay away from json module, had a lot of crashing issues with that one.
I am using Json module on linux and it works pretty well, are you sure Json module is causing the crashes?

I don't know but i noticed when unhooking some forwards outside of their callback function sometimes/most of the time will result in a crash, not sure why tho....

I for myself, i dropped support on v182 because 190+ have alot more features.
@VIP System 100% done !

Last edited by Natsheh; 03-22-2022 at 14:29.
Send a message via MSN to Natsheh Send a message via Skype™ to Natsheh
OciXCrom
Veteran Member
Old 03-22-2022 , 14:49   Re: Should we start accepting 1.9 only?
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalPlague View Post
People shouldn't be forced to use AMXX 1.9, because this version is unstable, as the official website says. Another reason why people shouldn't be forced to use AMXX 1.9 is that many people use old(er) plugins, which are designed for older AMXX versions. Will their old(er) plugins work with the newest version, or will the plugins start giving errors?
You're a perfect example of a mislead person.

1.9 is greatly more stable than 1.8.2 amd has a lot of bugfixes and improvements, including tons of new features.

There is no such thing as "plugins are designed for older versions". AMXX is and always will be backwards compatible, meaning that old plugins MUST work on new versions. The only difference you might notice is a simple warning when compiling some plugins that inform you that a better function exists and can be easily changed - this still won't prevent the plugin from working normally, nor will there be any errors in the console.
Veteran Member
Old 03-22-2022 , 23:18   Re: Should we start accepting 1.9 only?
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
People shouldn't be forced to use AMXX 1.9, because this version is unstable,
This is wrong but also right, some function in 1.9 that work normally in 1.8.2 (I forget to note back then to report, oof) but I didn't encounter much crash when using 1.9.

Quote:
Another reason why people shouldn't be forced to use AMXX 1.9 is that many people use old(er) plugins, which are designed for older AMXX versions. Will their old(er) plugins work with the newest version, or will the plugins start giving errors?
This is completely wrong since AMXX have backward compatible so old plugins will still work fine in 1.9. In fact, some plugins since 2008 still working today but most of them are not useful anymore.
Veteran Member
Old 03-23-2022 , 10:55   Re: Should we start accepting 1.9 only?
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsheh View Post
I am using Json module on linux and it works pretty well, are you sure Json module is causing the crashes?
Yes, but only in a very specific case, I used it on a few other servers and had no problems as well. I'm not entirely sure but it may be due to the format of the json data I was working with, unfortunately, I can't reproduce the problem. Whatever the problem was, got it fixed by getting rid of json.

HamletEagle
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 03-23-2022 , 11:33   Re: Should we start accepting 1.9 only?
Reply With Quote #9

What would be accomplished by forcing plugins to use 1.9 but at the same time not marking 1.9 as the stable version? What would be the purpose of having 1.8.2 as stable if all plugins should use 1.9?
Old 03-23-2022 , 21:42   Re: Should we start accepting 1.9 only?
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamletEagle View Post
What would be accomplished by forcing plugins to use 1.9 but at the same time not marking 1.9 as the stable version?
There are a lot of situation where in dev found less to nothing bug/error but once they release officially, a lot of bug happened.
In AMXX case, 1.9 have really small amount of coder/server owner used because they saw it marked as "unstable" so it is harder to getting feedback about the version issue, leading to it take much longer to release a stable version. Hell, it have been 10 years now.
Technically speaking, not a lot of people, if not only Arkshine remain working on AMXX 1.9 so it should be understable that it take this long.

Quote:
What would be the purpose of having 1.8.2 as stable if all plugins should use 1.9
I would be on the "encourage more people using 1.9" side.
Since most of the plugins is still usable on 1.8.2 then it should be fine for them to upgrade to 1.9 while still using 1.8.2 plugins.
Maybe some warning pop-up that made them scared if breaking the plugins so they don't want to use 1.9

Last edited by Celena Luna; 03-23-2022 at 21:43.