Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

FAQ: Sourcemod Newbies Guide

Post New Thread Reply   

CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 03-28-2008 , 07:30   FAQ: Sourcemod Newbies Guide
Reply With Quote #1

I have recieved an immense amount of help since I joined up at this community and I know theres a ton of things I have learned, and still a massive amount I haven't. I am going to start a large collection of Questions/Answers that we can hopefully point new comers to in hopes of not repeating the same things over and over again. I would love for any newcomers to post their questions here, as well as any SM Veteran to contribute question/answers that they have seen around a lot.

Sourcemod Installation & Configuration

Q: I am new to Sourcemod, can anyone give me some information on how to install it and set it up for my Server?

A: Sourcemod is a plugin for Metamod which is also needed to do your install. You will need to install Metamod and Sourcemod for it to properly load. You can use the following links for instructions in installing both of these to your server. Use Metamod 1.4 for non OrangeBox games such as Counter-Strike Source, and Metamod 1.6 for games such as TF2.

Metamod Source Installation:
http://wiki.alliedmods.net/index.php...lling_SourceMM

Sourcemod Installation:
http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Installing_SourceMod

Q: I have everything setup correctly, but now I need to know how to do all of the customization and settings for my server!

A: There are a few main files and directories you can use for most of your settings involving sourcemod. You can use the following list to find specific locations of files. All of these are going to assume you are in your games directory on the server.

1) /cfg/sourcemod/sourcemod.cfg - All of your general Sourcemod Settings.
2) /addons/sourcemod/configs/
->admins_simple.ini -Set your admins and their immunities/flags here.
->maplists.cfg - Specify the file location to use as a map list.
3) /addons/sourcemod/plugins/ - All of your active server plugins. You can move others such as RTV and MapChooser into this folder from the "disabled" directory, and it will automatically create default configs for them when they are loaded.

Q: I installed Sourcemod a while back, and haven't really messed with it since then. I noticed I am running a very old build, how often should we update it?

A: It is recommended you upgrade every 100 builds and definitely every stable release.

Q: I am looking into installing Sourcemod on my server, but I am worried about keeping my server secured. Are there anyways a hacker could use my admin in Sourcemod?

A: It is actually safer to run Sourcemod and disable your RCON as Sourcemod loads admins based on Steam IDs (other options available) from a file. This eliminates the threat of a hacker figuring out your RCON and destroying your server. You can use sm_rcon in console as an admin to do your usual rcon commands if you prefer that.

Last edited by CrimsonGT; 03-28-2008 at 08:26.
CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 03-28-2008 , 08:28   Re: FAQ: Sourcemod Newbies Guide
Reply With Quote #2

Provided by Tesla-X4:

Q: What's the usual structure for activating Sourcemod plugins, please?

A: The forums allow downloads for both a plugin's source code (Get Source) and the plugin itself (Get Plugin). Source code files typically have the filename extenstion .sp (you cannot run these files, they must be compiled first). Compiled plugins (i.e. those you can drop into your addons/sourcemod/plugins/ folder and expect to run) have the extenstion .smx.
Plugins usually read settings from either two places: addons/sourcemod/configs/<plugin-specific name>.cfg/.ini/.txt or cfg/sourcemod/<plugin-specific name>.cfg
Some plugins don't even read either of the two, so you'll have to either add the cvars you wish to change to cfg/server.cfg or to cfg/sourcemod/sourcemod.cfg (the former method is probably preferred). Only specify one cvar per line! A typical cvar looks something like sm_<plugin name>_enabled.

Q: Is there a simple list of admin commands floating about that explains what they do, please?

A: See this wiki page and this one. Note that some plugins are disabled by default, you can find them in the addons/sourcemod/plugins/disabled folder. To enable them, simply copy/move them out of that folder into the plugins folder. Similarly, if you wish to disable a plugin (unneeded or causing stability issues), move it into the disabled folder. Creating another folder inside the plugins folder and moving the plugin in there will not disable it, moving it into the disabled folder (or deleting it) is the only way to disable the plugin.

Q: What's the difference between 'rcon' and 'sm_admin' and other command prefixes, please?

A: (I hope I'm interpreting your question correctly, since both commands are entirely different) The 'rcon' prefix is used to execute a command through the server console. The commands most plugins make available can be run straight from the clients'/admins' client-side console (depending on the required permissions set on the command) and even in chat (prefixed with ! or / ). There is a SourceMod equivalent of the rcon command, sm_rcon, for people with the rcon admin flag to use.

Q: Do I need to use a password to access my admin rights or can they be set up to be linked to my name/IP/Steam ID, please?

A: A password is usually optional since they can be authenticated via SteamID. See this page for more information.

Q: Can I get admin commands to echo me back that they've done something or get used to trusting something happened, please?

A: Sure, but you'll have to manually edit and recompile the plugin to be able to fix that. (someone else elaborate more on this for me please)

Q: Is there a clear and easy way to set up a reserved slot system for Sourcemod servers, please?

A: See this page, it's far more detailed than I can possibly be lol

Q: How do I add people to a list of regulars, who get preferrential treatment and make sure that those who get kicked know why it's happening?

A: See the Immunity section on this page.

Q: Is there an easy way to allow players to initiate votes on maps, settings and possibly even bans, if someone is being an idiot and there's no admin present, please?

A: Yes, there is a way to do this. There are two plugins available that do this: Players Votes and Custom Votes. See the plugins' respective pages for details.

Last edited by asherkin; 05-05-2012 at 17:46.
CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 03-28-2008 , 08:30   Re: FAQ: Sourcemod Newbies Guide
Reply With Quote #3

Reserved Space for FAQ pt. 3
CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 03-28-2008 , 08:33   Re: FAQ: Sourcemod Newbies Guide
Reply With Quote #4

Reserved Space for FAQ pt. 4
Gweedo
Old 03-28-2008 , 11:36   Re: FAQ: Sourcemod Newbies Guide
Reply With Quote #5

Looks good. Maybe add some basic troubleshooting tips like checking the log files and using sm plugins list and sm plugins debug.
Ari
Old 09-17-2009 , 19:58   Re: FAQ: Sourcemod Newbies Guide
Reply With Quote #6

I'm going to ask all the newbie questions now, since you're keen to write a newb guide. Great idea by the way!

What is metamod, please? And why can't you just install Sourcemod on to a game server?
(The reason I ask is that I think understanding why you're doing something helps a person understand how the whole thing works)

What's the usual structure for activating Sourcemod plugins, please?

I see mention of .SMX files a lot and these, I think, are usually accompanied by at least 1 .CFG file that has all the settings for the particular plugin in it. Once these two elements are in the right folders, is there a 'central' Sourcemod .CFG file that needs to include a line for that particular plugin, please? For example: activatemyshinyplugin "1"

What are considered 'good' set-ups for different games supported by Sourcemod, please?

By this I mean a 'good' starting server.cfg and 'essential' plugins that players will general expect to be able to access or information they expect to see. There are a vast array of plugins here, I have no idea which ones are considered 'the standard', aside from making a call based on which ones seem to be installed on lots of servers.

Is there a simple list of admin commands floating about that explains what they do, please?

There seem to be at least three different ways of doing the same thing through through various inputs, like the console and in-game chat and 'quick commands' that use symbols, like '@'. Is there 'a best practice' or what's simpler the easiest approach?

What's the difference between 'rcon' and 'sm_admin' and other command prefixes, please?

Do I need to use a password to access my admin rights or can they be set up to be linked to my name/IP/Steam ID, please?

Can I get admin commands to echo me back that they've done something or get used to trusting something happened, please?

Is there a clear and easy way to set up a reserved slot system for Sourcemod servers, please?

How do I add people to a list of regulars, who get preferrential treatment and make sure that those who get kicked know why it's happening?

Is there an easy way to allow players to initiate votes on maps, settings and possibly even bans, if someone is being an idiot and there's no admin present, please?

Can this be logged or set to send an email to an admin list, so they can check on banning issues?

Is there any point having HLstats? What are they? Do people care about it? Should I care if I want to encourage return players?

And finally, a very specific question that's been bugging me for ages.

How do you set up player commands that allow them to choose to join your Steam group, please?

I've seen advertisement messages come up on some servers that say "Why not join our steam group, just type !steam". I'd like to be able to offer this ability to players. Is it also possible to do something similar for sending feedback or easily and quickly adding the server to their favourites, please?

I'll stop there. I know I and a heck of a lot of people will appreciate answers to these things in a structured way that makes Sourcemod more accessible. It's clearly a very powerful and useful server tool, but to someone coming into this environment without much prior knowledge of game server admin-ing, it's currently quite impenetrable and requires a lot of searching to pull together the basic information. I realise that not everyone will agree with that, but this is my experience. I also appreciate that admin-ing a gaming server isn't for everyone and does require at least a little technical knowledge.

All help and advice greatly, greatly appreciated.
TESLA-X4
Old 09-17-2009 , 22:19   Re: FAQ: Sourcemod Newbies Guide
Reply With Quote #7

Q: What's the usual structure for activating Sourcemod plugins, please?

A: The forums allow downloads for both a plugin's source code (Get Source) and the plugin itself (Get Plugin). Source code files typically have the filename extenstion .sp (you cannot run these files, they must be compiled first). Compiled plugins (i.e. those you can drop into your addons/sourcemod/plugins/ folder and expect to run) have the extenstion .smx.
Plugins usually read settings from either two places: addons/sourcemod/configs/<plugin-specific name>.cfg/.ini/.txt or cfg/sourcemod/<plugin-specific name>.cfg
Some plugins don't even read either of the two, so you'll have to either add the cvars you wish to change to cfg/server.cfg or to cfg/sourcemod/sourcemod.cfg (the former method is probably preferred). Only specify one cvar per line! A typical cvar looks something like sm_<plugin name>_enabled.

Q: Is there a simple list of admin commands floating about that explains what they do, please?

A: See this wiki page and this one. Note that some plugins are disabled by default, you can find them in the addons/sourcemod/plugins/disabled folder. To enable them, simply copy/move them out of that folder into the plugins folder. Similarly, if you wish to disable a plugin (unneeded or causing stability issues), move it into the disabled folder. Creating another folder inside the plugins folder and moving the plugin in there will not disable it, moving it into the disabled folder (or deleting it) is the only way to disable the plugin.

Q: What's the difference between 'rcon' and 'sm_admin' and other command prefixes, please?

A: (I hope I'm interpreting your question correctly, since both commands are entirely different) The 'rcon' prefix is used to execute a command through the server console. The commands most plugins make available can be run straight from the clients'/admins' client-side console (depending on the required permissions set on the command) and even in chat (prefixed with ! or / ). There is a SourceMod equivalent of the rcon command, sm_rcon, unfortunately it does not return any feedback to you like the rcon command does.

Q: Do I need to use a password to access my admin rights or can they be set up to be linked to my name/IP/Steam ID, please?

A: A password is usually optional since they can be authenticated via SteamID. See this page for more information.

Q: Can I get admin commands to echo me back that they've done something or get used to trusting something happened, please?

A: Sure, but you'll have to manually edit and recompile the plugin to be able to fix that. (someone else elaborate more on this for me please)

Q: Is there a clear and easy way to set up a reserved slot system for Sourcemod servers, please?

A: See this page, it's far more detailed than I can possibly be lol

Q: How do I add people to a list of regulars, who get preferrential treatment and make sure that those who get kicked know why it's happening?

A: See the Immunity section on this page.

Q: Is there an easy way to allow players to initiate votes on maps, settings and possibly even bans, if someone is being an idiot and there's no admin present, please?

A: Yes, there is a way to do this. There are two plugins available that do this: Players Votes and Custom Votes. See the plugins' respective pages for details.

(I know I skipped some, I'm lazy, lol)

Last edited by TESLA-X4; 09-17-2009 at 22:29.
Ari
Old 09-18-2009 , 09:27   Re: FAQ: Sourcemod Newbies Guide
Reply With Quote #8

Wow, thanks for answering!
olj
Veteran Member
Old 09-19-2009 , 03:28   Re: FAQ: Sourcemod Newbies Guide
Reply With Quote #9

Since you are moderator, can you make it sticky? I think you want this to be ontop, so newcomers will look here rather then asking same questions over and over. gj btw -)
Old 09-19-2009 , 06:48   Re: FAQ: Sourcemod Newbies Guide
Reply With Quote #10

I dont know if its presented somewhere in faqs. But its annoying as hell. And they still asking it inside plugins' topics. Not really SM related, but since SM uses menu with these keys, and in l4d they are not bound by default, i think it should be mentioned.

Q: I cant use 5-0 menu choices in L4D.

A
:
bind "5" "slot5"
bind "6" "slot6"
and so on.
Put this in config.cfg .

Last edited by olj; 09-19-2009 at 06:50.