Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Temporary mirror for SMAC source code

Post New Thread Reply   

psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 11-26-2013 , 21:14   Temporary mirror for SMAC source code
Reply With Quote #1

The BitBucket repository is down for the moment. Kigen childishly issued a DMCA takedown request against it rather than waiting for the miniscule amount of his code that was left in the project to be documented to his exact specification. BitBucket removed the project immediately without any question or fact-finding.

We'll look to get it up somewhere else in the near-ish future, without any of Kigen's code remaining so that we are not bound by his antics.

Edit: It's now available again in the stickied SMAC Download thread.

-The SMAC Team

Last edited by psychonic; 11-29-2013 at 09:22.
allienaded
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-26-2013 , 23:26   Re: Temporary mirror for SMAC source code
Reply With Quote #2

GitHub?
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 11-27-2013 , 01:27   Re: Temporary mirror for SMAC source code
Reply With Quote #3

I had a local clone of the latest SMAC-Wiki repo, which I'll post here as a backup.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SMAC-Wiki.zip (56.8 KB, 1817 views)

Last edited by GoD-Tony; 11-27-2013 at 01:32.
StrikerMan780
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-27-2013 , 09:40   Re: Temporary mirror for SMAC source code
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
Kigen childishly issued a DMCA takedown request against it rather than waiting for the miniscule amount of his code that was left in the project to be documented to his exact specification. BitBucket removed the project immediately without any question or fact-finding.
Wow, what a douchebag. Not only for pulling that, but for cowardly hiding behind and abusing DMCA takedown requests to bully people around. (Also, paying $200 to file the claim on a free and open-source plugin over the simple mistake of forgetting a GPL License header is a bit stupid. Hell, he could have just as easily made a fork, put the header back in, and done a pull request, right?)

(Does he even have a registered copyright over it, in order for it to hold actual legal ground? Also, regarding the GPL License, doesn't the DMCA completely stand against the founding principles of it all?)

Last edited by StrikerMan780; 11-27-2013 at 10:54.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 11-27-2013 , 11:00   Re: Temporary mirror for SMAC source code
Reply With Quote #5

There is no cost to send a DMCA notice, nor is there any requirement to have a registered copyright (it just makes things simpler), the notice sent was also perfectly valid.

The shame is that this was all done less than a week after noting why the already-implemented changes weren't enough, that is in no way a reasonable time frame and a DMCA notice is a very, very aggressive act in such a case.

The copyright notices shouldn't have been removed when they were, and there is some debate over their validity in most of SMAC's files, but Kigen handled this very poorly.

In all the years AM have been dealing with people ignoring the SourceMod license, we've never had to send a single DMCA takedown notice - it's a horrible way to deal with a misunderstanding.
Old 11-27-2013 , 11:05   Re: Temporary mirror for SMAC source code
Reply With Quote #6

I could have sworn it cost $199 in fees to process a takedown, last time I looked. (btw, my post was edited.) http://www.dmca.com/Takedowns.aspx?a...FcYWMgodLG4Auw

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
In all the years AM have been dealing with people ignoring the SourceMod license, we've never had to send a single DMCA takedown notice - it's a horrible way to deal with a misunderstanding.
Indeed.

(Also am I the only one who thinks DMCA should be renamed the "Anti-Innovation Act", For several different reasons? Protecting Intellectual Property not exactly being one of them.)

Last edited by StrikerMan780; 11-27-2013 at 11:28.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 11-27-2013 , 11:13   Re: Temporary mirror for SMAC source code
Reply With Quote #7

It only costs money if you use an online server to assist you. If you file it yourself, it is free.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
StrikerMan780
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-27-2013 , 11:26   Re: Temporary mirror for SMAC source code
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
It only costs money if you use an online server to assist you. If you file it yourself, it is free.
Alright, that makes sense. It's still a dick move though, and this whole thing could have been solved more diplomatically from what I can see.
allienaded
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-28-2013 , 05:38   Re: Temporary mirror for SMAC source code
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoD-Tony View Post
I had a local clone of the latest SMAC-Wiki repo, which I'll post here as a backup.
Made a simple web mirror for convenience: removed

If you want me to take it down just let me know. I will also replace that link with a 301 redirect as soon as the official wiki is back up.

Last edited by asherkin; 12-28-2013 at 08:55.
KorDen
Old 11-29-2013 , 00:40   Re: Temporary mirror for SMAC source code
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
For anyone needing it, there is a temporary mirror of the SMAC source code here:
http://hg.alliedmods.net/users/skamo...mail.com/smac/
This repository not available too Ah, source code now in main archive, OK

Last edited by KorDen; 11-29-2013 at 01:11.