Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

How far can pawn programming take you

Post New Thread Reply   

Crackhead69
Old 12-22-2021 , 13:43   How far can pawn programming take you
Reply With Quote #1

Hello!
I wonder, is the language only supported and able to use as a 3rd party addon to a couple of games?
Are there any other things that the programming language can do?

I wanted to start learning some language, and find that pawn is soo simple for the most part.
It has so much non-needed experience logic and it is fun to mess around with.

If there's more that i can do with it, i would like to know, if no i'd like to ask if a similar language exists, where there's no limit to the freedom of your fingers.
The kind of language that is more logic based, and not requering by 4 years of knowledge to know that to print a line on a console you need to type some 50 words sh*t

(it is just an example, as i looked up some programming language tutorials on some languages that had those irratating ways of doing things comparing them to the simplicity of pawn)
bigdaddy424
Old 12-22-2021 , 18:07   Re: How far can pawn programming take you
Reply With Quote #2

Simplicity comes from the developers maintaining and creating natives and functions to make it easier for plugin makers to write less and less code and tutorials and bulk steps grouped into one whatchumightcallit functions. Same thing works on mostly all programming languages. Pawn is not easy. At some point you might learn all the functions and all that but its time consuming like any other project you may start.
If you want snap of a finger effortless coding, join the python community. Theres thousands of already made custom functions to make it easier for your code needs.
HamletEagle
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 12-23-2021 , 02:33   Re: How far can pawn programming take you
Reply With Quote #3

This is a very broad question and I think you are approaching this in the wrong way. It seems you want to be able to write code without actually learning to write code.

What do you actually want to do? What is your goal? Decide and then pick a language based on your decision.

You can't do much with pawn outside of creating mods or doing embedded stuff. And if you want embedded, I would argue C would be a better choice as it will teach you a lot about how a computer really works(if you are willing to learn that is).

Pawn is really simple and bare bones. Most of the useful stuff is amxx specific and provided by the modules imemented by the amxx dev team and other people. For example, to print a message to chat you use client_print, which is a native provided by the amxx core(not pawn). If you moved to san andreas modding which also uses pawn, you would not be able to use client_print. Instead, you will have to read their documentation and find out what natives are available to print stuff, even if both amxx and samp use pawn.

If you are looking to do general purpose stuff, C/C++, java or python are generally good choices for someone that wants to learn programming.

I believe it is best to start with C, as the language is not bloated and allows you to focus on programming logic and gives you a deep understanding of how memory works if you learn pointers.
Take a C course, then learn data structures and implement them by hand in C(lists, trees, stacks, queues, etc). Every programmer should knoe data structures. C also gives you access to the hardware and pretty much unlimited power(and great responsability - the language will happily allow you to shoot yourself in the foot if not caredul).
Later, if you want to learn object oriented programming you can start java.
I would not recommed python as your first language as it abstracts a lot of things, setting unreasonable expectations. Then, if you move to other programming languages you will have a hard time understanding while things that apparently are simple in python can't be done in a single line of code in other languages.
Learn how to do things properly first, then you can move to python.

Last edited by HamletEagle; 12-23-2021 at 02:47.
Crackhead69
Old 12-27-2021 , 10:26   Re: How far can pawn programming take you
Reply With Quote #4

The thing is i want to find a language i can easily engage with like Pawn.
Like if i make something right now, i hop in and see my creation. Probably all programming languages have that but at a beginner level it is limited to the "console" thing. I haven't really dedicated myself in learning what exactly can i do with them, yet it's because i am not sure on what to focus on.

Python as an example i saw a forum that practices it with HL2 DM addons like pawn, which for me it will be way easier to learn, since i can just make sometihng and see it done. Yet since python is much bigger than pawn, i figure what i learn from doing addons to HL2 DM won't be of any use to any.. how do i say it.. 'working industry' maybe?

Yet again since my lack of knowledge about what the languages do, i may be terribly wrong about this.

To simplify my question: Can i learn a language with similar easy engagement like the pyhon forum i read about and Pawn, connected to a game that i can easily get into and test my script, which in the same time the knowledge i gain can be useful to find a job related to that programming language.

Disclaimer: I want that because that way i keep my ADHD motivational level so much higher than having to sit and type scribbles to print_console. Fun and entertainment is my goal

Last edited by Crackhead69; 12-27-2021 at 10:27.