Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[CSGO] server fine tuning

Post New Thread Reply   

OneMore
Old 02-10-2022 , 17:25   [CSGO] server fine tuning
Reply With Quote #1

Players on our server complain about "shooting quality". They said like
it was a perfect shot, I saw blood, but the shot was not registered. I have zero damage. We have a 128 tick rate and the server works without any lags.
Could you please give me any advice on where to look about server fine-tuning? What kind of cvars to check? What does influence shooting registration...

Last edited by OneMore; 02-11-2022 at 05:54.
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 02-10-2022 , 19:07   Re: [CSGO] server fine tuning
Reply With Quote #2

...don't rely decals. Those are clien side effects.
OneMore
Old 02-11-2022 , 05:57   Re: [CSGO] server fine tuning
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
...don't rely decals. Those are clien side effects.
Alright, I don't think about decals. What should I rely on? I don't have any ideas. Our hoster and hardware are pretty reliable. So what may influence shooting quality and shot registration...?
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 02-11-2022 , 08:02   Re: [CSGO] server fine tuning
Reply With Quote #4

Do you have control of that server ?
Can you check, do server CPU actually run over 3GHz or that speed what CPU is able ?
- So look it not idle as power save mode. SRCDS program itself do not trigger CPU to run higher frequency.

What Operation System ?
What CPU it have ?
Old 02-11-2022 , 09:16   Re: [CSGO] server fine tuning
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Do you have control of that server ?
I use the most reliable game hosting in our country. I do not have server control, unfortunately. Server's parameters: 1 x Core i7 8700, 2.5Gb RAM, 40Gb NVME. OS is Linux.

We do not have a high processor load as I see on resources statistics. Please have a look at the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-02-11 at 14.06.23.jpg (94.8 KB, 42 views)
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 02-11-2022 , 10:14   Re: [CSGO] server fine tuning
Reply With Quote #6

ok. Lets hope CPU run full frequency.
CPU load (%) can be anything, of course lower is better. But getting solid fast frequency (GHz) is ideal.

Don't know your current server settings or player count or game mode or network bandwidth.

But you could first try restrict player rates.
- If you run casual: game_type 0; game_mode 0
Create file: ...csgo/cfg/gamemode_casual_server.cfg

- If you run competitive, game_type 0; game_mode 1
Create file: ...csgo/cfg/gamemode_competitive_server.cfg

Because some cvars are changed by Valve own game mode settings, server.cfg is not great place to change settings. Better use override config files.

Code:
// config file
sv_minrate 200000 // This is default rate value
sv_maxrate 786432 // This is max value in game by default
sv_mincmdrate 128
sv_minupdaterate 128

// These are hidden cvars, and follows server -tickrate
//sv_maxcmdrate
//sv_maxupdaterate

sv_competitive_minspec 1 // - Enable to force certain client convars to minimum/maximum values to help prevent competitive advantages.
After configure edit, change level or reboot server. Clients need re-connect so cvar changes affect them.

Join in server and you can check from client console:
Code:
rate;cl_updaterate;cl_cmdrate;cl_interp;cl_interp_ratio;sv_minrate;sv_maxrate;sv_mincmdrate;sv_minupdaterate;help sv_maxcmdrate;help sv_maxupdaterate

output
Code:
] rate;cl_updaterate;cl_cmdrate;cl_interp;cl_interp_ratio;sv_minrate;sv_maxrate;sv_mincmdrate;sv_minupdaterate;help sv_maxcmdrate;help sv_maxupdaterate
"rate" = "200000" ( def. "196608" ) archive user                                 - Max bytes/sec the host can receive data
"cl_updaterate" = "128" ( def. "64" ) archive notconnected user                  - Number of packets per second of updates you are requesting from the server
"cl_cmdrate" = "128" ( def. "64" ) min. 10.000000 max. 128.000000 archive user   - Max number of command packets sent to server per second
"cl_interp" = "0.031000" ( def. "0.03125" ) min. 0.000000 max. 0.500000 client notconnected user - Sets the interpolation amount (bounded on low side by server interp ratio settin
"cl_interp_ratio" = "1" ( def. "2.0" ) client notconnected user                  - Sets the interpolation amount (final amount is cl_interp_ratio / cl_updaterate).
"sv_minrate" = "200000" ( def. "16000" ) min. 0.000000 max. 786432.000000 replicated - Min bandwidth rate allowed on server, 0 == unlimited
"sv_maxrate" = "786432" ( def. "0" ) min. 0.000000 max. 786432.000000 replicated - Max bandwidth rate allowed on server, 0 == unlimited
"sv_mincmdrate" = "128" ( def. "64" ) replicated                                 - This sets the minimum value for cl_cmdrate. 0 == unlimited.
"sv_minupdaterate" = "128" ( def. "64" ) replicated                              - Minimum updates per second that the server will allow
"sv_maxcmdrate" = "128" ( def. "64" ) replicated                                 - (If sv_mincmdrate is > 0), this sets the maximum value for cl_cmdrate.
"sv_maxupdaterate" = "128" ( def. "64" ) replicated                              - Maximum updates per second that the server will allow

*edit
You can also look net graph diagram, how it looks.
- Change from server console: sv_max_allowed_net_graph 5
- In your client console: net_graph 5

Name:  graph.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  93.6 KB

Last edited by Bacardi; 02-11-2022 at 10:20.
OneMore
Old 02-12-2022 , 18:18   Re: [CSGO] server fine tuning
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
But you could first try restrict player rates...
Thanks a lot, Bacardi. I have almost the same settings, except sv_minrate which was slightly less (default settings). I changed it according to your advice just in case.

As I understand, cl_* settings are from the client. So for the server, I have to change sv_* cvars which will influence cl_* on clients.

By the way, the lerp value on your netgraph is red and 7.8. I found this advice: "The lerp-value in your net_graph should be white (not yellow/orange/red!). If it isn't, try cl_interp_ratio "2"". I tried cl_interp_ratio "2" and it makes lerp in white colour with the value 15.6

All other values in netgraph are good.

What do you think about other different cvars like:
- sv_parallel_packentities "0"
- net_chan_limit_msec 100
- sv_max_queries_sec_global 100
- sv_max_queries_sec 6

I saw them in other threads. Do you use/change them? Do you use other specific for network cvars?

Some additional comments:
My current server settings are quite standard. I mean I did tuning for our game mode (Casual is the game mode and we use sourcemod GunGame plugin). The usual player count is not big We have 20 slots restriction and usually, we have 10-15 players. As you see on the picture attached earlier, it was just 11 at that moment.

I'm going to scan "Server Discussion > Source Servers (SRCDS)" section of the forum. I hope to find more details there.

Last edited by OneMore; 02-12-2022 at 18:21.
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 02-12-2022 , 19:59   Re: [CSGO] server fine tuning
Reply With Quote #8

Ignore my screenshot lerp. I changed client settings to very low for demonstration. This can't be change from server.

Still don't know your network, speed.
Another thing is players ping (and they own network type and speed)
If people use mobile connection or wifi... it will be have some lag.

You can look players ping, using command:
ping

You should ask screenshot of net graph 5 from players if they do have problems.

You can try other cvars. I don't know much of those.