Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

L4DToolZ Metamod plugin (l4d1 & l4d2)

Post New Thread Reply   

asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 03-17-2011 , 16:35   Re: L4DToolZ Metamod plugin (l4d1 & l4d2)
Reply With Quote #881

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandertediz View Post
If you build a mod, you are responsible to provide clear installation instructions so as to avoid any issues with people using your mod.
Nope, if a developer wants to make you waste hours trying to install something with no instructions, that is entirely their prerogative.

You don't have a right to use the plugins released here for free, don't tell their developers what they can and can't do, mkay.
Old 03-17-2011 , 19:50   Re: L4DToolZ Metamod plugin (l4d1 & l4d2)
Reply With Quote #882

Quote:
I'm getting very tired of mods not being written with proper installation instructions. If you build a mod, you are responsible to provide clear installation instructions so as to avoid any issues with people using your mod.
Dude....

I mean how hard can it be? It looks like your L4DToolz is not loading at all, so type meta list to see if it is loaded, I think not. Do you even have metamod installed btw?

You say you're a server admin, you don't look like one because troubleshooting this is so easy and that's something you don't seem to manage, so type meta list, if that gives an error install metamod. If it still doesn't work after that check if u have these files:

l4dtoolz.vdf goes into addons/metamod
l4dtoolz_mm_i486.so goes into addons/l4dtoolz (or dll for windows).
l4dtoolz.txt goes into addons/ldtoolz/gamedata

That's it! I don't see what would be so hard about this, the installation instructions are pretty clear to me:

Quote:
extract files form zip files to addons folder, you need to have pre-installed metamod source(1.7 or 1.8 for l4d1 and 1.8 for l4d2)
commandertediz
Old 03-17-2011 , 22:21   Re: L4DToolZ Metamod plugin (l4d1 & l4d2)
Reply With Quote #883

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
Nope, if a developer wants to make you waste hours trying to install something with no instructions, that is entirely their prerogative.

You don't have a right to use the plugins released here for free, don't tell their developers what they can and can't do, mkay.
asher - a private developer has their own perogative. i publicly hosted website is something altogether different. rights have nothing to do with it. a responsible programmer leaves the proper documentation. i am an IT Director for a world famous medical company - don't lecture me on what i can't demand from developers. i expect the same from my staff.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 03-17-2011 , 22:28   Re: L4DToolZ Metamod plugin (l4d1 & l4d2)
Reply With Quote #884

Quote:
i expect the same from my staff.
Which you pay.
Old 03-17-2011 , 22:29   Re: L4DToolZ Metamod plugin (l4d1 & l4d2)
Reply With Quote #885

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPII View Post
Dude....

I mean how hard can it be? It looks like your L4DToolz is not loading at all, so type meta list to see if it is loaded, I think not. Do you even have metamod installed btw?

You say you're a server admin, you don't look like one because troubleshooting this is so easy and that's something you don't seem to manage, so type meta list, if that gives an error install metamod. If it still doesn't work after that check if u have these files:

That's it! I don't see what would be so hard about this, the installation instructions are pretty clear to me:
@spII - yes i have metamod installed. i rent a hosted server from gameservers.net and all of their servers have metamod and sourcemod installed if you enable it which i did. me being a server admin does not mean i am a programmer or developer. my statement about a programmer being expected to leave proper documentation is not incorrect. in the public world programmers are expected to do just that when they develop and software.

the original post did not leave that three step set of instructions.

at my company, when one of my staff is put in charge of a project, they work on the project completely until it is finished and working 100%. if updates are needed in the future, they too are performed and work on it until it is finished and working 100%. i simply went off because i guess i expected more from a publicly hosted website that makes itself appear as the leader in mods for sourcemod and metamod, yet the people who provide the mods lack the professionalism to properly document things. its simple a little backwards to me.
commandertediz
Old 03-17-2011 , 22:30   Re: L4DToolZ Metamod plugin (l4d1 & l4d2)
Reply With Quote #886

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
Which you pay.
ok. so no actually being paid for it is the acceptable reason why it's ok for mod creators to be lazy and unprofessional in their work? that makes a hell of a lot of sense. i don't get paid for a lot of the things i do outside of work, yet i do it professionally, and properly. i suppose i expect too much from others. yet it's not that hard.
commandertediz
Old 03-17-2011 , 22:48   Re: L4DToolZ Metamod plugin (l4d1 & l4d2)
Reply With Quote #887

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPII View Post
Dude....

i followed these instructions. i have metamod 1.8.5 installed on a linux server. still got the issue with cvars being unknown. totally out of ideas. and when i typed meta list, no error, just a list of 4 items - sdk, sourcemod, etc.

Last edited by commandertediz; 03-18-2011 at 02:38.
ProdigySim
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 03-24-2011 , 18:04   Re: L4DToolZ Metamod plugin (l4d1 & l4d2)
Reply With Quote #888

Quote:
ok. so no actually being paid for it is the acceptable reason why it's ok for mod creators to be lazy and unprofessional in their work? that makes a hell of a lot of sense. i don't get paid for a lot of the things i do outside of work, yet i do it professionally, and properly. i suppose i expect too much from others. yet it's not that hard.
Releasing code without any warranty or support is a pretty common practice in the free development world. If you require full documentation and timely support then this may not be the product for you.
There's nothing unprofessional about releasing a tool as-is for use by other people in a similar sphere. In some areas, it's practically a requirement of release to not provide support or documentation.
Chaosxk
Veteran Member
Old 05-07-2011 , 03:16   Re: L4DToolZ Metamod plugin (l4d1 & l4d2)
Reply With Quote #889

Does matchmaking work with unreserved, because i type status and its unreserved and i direct connected to my server and no one else connects.
Old 05-07-2011 , 04:27   Re: L4DToolZ Metamod plugin (l4d1 & l4d2)
Reply With Quote #890

I don't think matchmaking will work no as it requires a reservation number.
The same reservation number l4dtoolz removes (when the server is reserved, no more than 8 people can join)