Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

SourceMod Auto-Updater

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
pRED*
Old 07-05-2008 , 06:25   SourceMod Auto-Updater

As of revision 2323 of the 1.1 branch, I have committed our experimental gamedata auto updater.

This lets us update new gamedata offsets centrally and they will be downloaded to your server when it restarts next. This should save us needing to provide an entire new SourceMod release after every major valve patch and spend more time working on things that matter.

I’ve also been working on ways to streamline working out the new offsets after a patch (those interested can look in the tools folder on the svn), with the intention of getting servers up and running, crash free asap.

Currently I’m just looking for people to try out the new 1.1 revisions and let me know if everything is running ok. I’ll try and find something worth changing in the gamedata files in the near future so we can see if the update completes successfully on a larger scale than my two test servers.

I've added two new sections to core.cfg for this. One lets you enable/disable the updater (enabled by default) and the other gives you the option of having SourceMod shut your server down after a successful update, in the hope that it will auto restart (disabled by default). Completed updates will otherwise take effect when your server is next restarted.

The gamedata files from the latest svn revision of SourceMod should show as all up to date. Most older gamedata files will be unrecognised and marked as unknown but the dod:s changes (revision 2332) and tf2 extension changes (revision 2317) should be in the system should you wish to test the functionality of the updater.

Any third party gamedata files or ones you have edited yourself will also be unrecognised and will show up as unknown. If you are running custom edited gamedata files you will need to update these yourself.

I've also partially implemented support for notifying server owners when a new SourceMod release is available (or new build for those running snapshots). This is currently on hold while I decide exactly how it would be most effective. The general idea would be to have multiple levels of 'urgency' for an update and varying notification based on this.

If anyone has any comments, suggestions or feedback regarding any of this please post it here or in the bug report: link