Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Flare Extinguisher (Pyro flare exploit fix) v1.2 (7/06)

Post New Thread Reply   

Author
FLOOR_MASTER
Plugin ID:
Plugin Version:
Plugin Category:
General Purpose
Plugin Game:
Team Fortress 2
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:
    Plugin Description:
    Fixes Pyro flare exploit by periodically removing flares from the game
    Old 07-04-2008 , 22:30   Flare Extinguisher (Pyro flare exploit fix) v1.2 (7/06)
    Reply With Quote #1

Flare Extinguisher periodically removes all lingering Pyro flares from the game. This is useful on 24/7 map servers where flares can stick to certain surfaces, leading to a crash vulnerability (for really persistent players) and generally degrading framerates for all players.

An example:

Configuration
    • sm_fe_rate (default "180")
      • Interval to wait, in seconds, between extinguishing flares
    Commands
    • !fe
      • Immediately extinguish all flares (requires root admin access)
    Installation
    1. Copy flareextinguisher.smx to your SourceMod plugins directory (addons/sourcemod/plugins)
    Version History
    • 2008-07-04 - v1.0
      • Initial release
    • 2008-07-05 - v1.1
      • !fe is now a root admin command
    • 2008-07-06 - v1.2
      • Updated flare extinguishing method to avoid removing active flares
      • Fixed bug in which multiple timers may be created on non-24/7 servers
    Attached Files
    File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (flareextinguisher.sp - 2317 views - 3.4 KB)

Last edited by FLOOR_MASTER; 07-06-2008 at 05:58.
    -=CsFF=- Eagle
    SourceMod Donor
    Old 07-05-2008 , 03:34   Re: Flare Extinguisher (Pyro flare exploit fix) v1.0 (7/04)
    Reply With Quote #2

great thx
    bl4nk
    SourceMod Developer
    Old 07-05-2008 , 11:24   Re: Flare Extinguisher (Pyro flare exploit fix) v1.1 (7/05)
    Reply With Quote #3

Wouldn't this screw some people over when they're trying to hit somebody?
    RAAP
    Old 07-05-2008 , 15:07   Re: Flare Extinguisher (Pyro flare exploit fix) v1.1 (7/05)
    Reply With Quote #4

Its better than crashing the server!
    bl4nk
    SourceMod Developer
    Old 07-05-2008 , 15:34   Re: Flare Extinguisher (Pyro flare exploit fix) v1.1 (7/05)
    Reply With Quote #5

You could probably do this a better a way by checking how many flares a player has active (using the m_hOwnerEntity datamap), and if they have over X active, remove all of them for that player. That way those people who are shooting them to actually play the game won't get denied their legit flare.
    teddyruxpin
    Overseer of lost packets
    Old 07-05-2008 , 16:11   Re: Flare Extinguisher (Pyro flare exploit fix) v1.1 (7/05)
    Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bl4nk View Post
    Wouldn't this screw some people over when they're trying to hit somebody?

I belive this would only affect them if they happen to be firing at someone at the exact time the flares where flushed. I did have people trying to crash my hosts the last couple days with this exploit and it has definetly helped out since I added it lastnight. Any host that runs a 24/7 or very long last maps should consider running this to just purge out the stray flares and other malicious attempts.

-Teddy
    FLOOR_MASTER
    Old 07-05-2008 , 17:05   Re: Flare Extinguisher (Pyro flare exploit fix) v1.1 (7/05)
    Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bl4nk View Post
    You could probably do this a better a way by checking how many flares a player has active (using the m_hOwnerEntity datamap), and if they have over X active, remove all of them for that player. That way those people who are shooting them to actually play the game won't get denied their legit flare.
    This is a good idea, but the probability of a legitimate flare disappearing when sm_fe_rate is set to a reasonable interval is so low as to not justify the computational expense of doing so.

Ideally, there would be an entity creation hook for TF2...
    pRED*
    Old 07-05-2008 , 19:47   Re: Flare Extinguisher (Pyro flare exploit fix) v1.1 (7/05)
    Reply With Quote #8

You could check the velocity of the flares before removing them? Ones moving could be assumed to be in flight and can be ignored.
    FLOOR_MASTER
    Old 07-05-2008 , 20:42   Re: Flare Extinguisher (Pyro flare exploit fix) v1.1 (7/05)
    Reply With Quote #9

Incidentally, I considered that when initially writing the plugin but saw that the only property that looked relevant (for CTFProjectile_Flare) was "m_vInitialVelocity", which I assumed would never change and wouldn't be useful. In the interests of getting the plugin released quickly, I didn't look beyond that. Is there something I'm missing?

One hackish approach would be to record the m_vecOrigin, wait a bit, and then see if the m_vecOrigin remained static.
    [AiF] Biggs
    Old 07-05-2008 , 21:09   Re: Flare Extinguisher (Pyro flare exploit fix) v1.1 (7/05)
    Reply With Quote #10

Been seeing this a lot lately. -.-
    Thanks floor master.

btw, loving the DOD:S server.
    I'm not sure how long that game will hook me for though. I still prefer TF2.