Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

L4D2 update broke sourcemod?

Post New Thread Reply   

RavenDan29
Veteran Member
Old 07-04-2013 , 07:29   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #81

I thought the whole point of the beta was to help towards improving Linux servers, in terms of multiple slots, general latency ping, custom map support etc.... not ruin it for both windows servers and Linux servers.
Old 07-04-2013 , 08:09   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #82

Just took a look at the malloc pointer in the new and the old binaries. I'm no reverse engineering expert, but by the looks of it... Sorry to break it to you guys, but Valve seems to have decided it'd be worth completely changing core stuff in a, well, not-so-popular-anymore game. Instead of a single memory interface, there are now dedicated function sets(CUtlMemory::{Grow,Purge}) for each server class, which are called in the places where g_pMemAlloc operations had been taking place. I'm not sure, but I think this is the way CS:GO is structured. If that's the case, it will take way more than a day or two to bring stuff up to speed. I suppose psychonic is taking most bits out of the CS:GO SDK to accelerate the process, but don't get your hopes up until the next week(my humble estimation).

Last edited by V1SoR; 07-04-2013 at 08:09.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 07-04-2013 , 09:12   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasx View Post
http://hg.alliedmods.net/sourcemod-central - not sure if this is the 1.5 branch
That is 1.6. You can find 1.5 at http://hg.alliedmods.net/releases/sourcemod-1.5/

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
thresh0ld
Old 07-04-2013 , 09:20   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #84

Don't blame Valve for updating thier game..It is up to the sourcemod devs to play catch-up. This wasn't the first time sourcemod/metamod broke after a major update you know....get used to it. It will eventually get fixed.
Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 07-04-2013 , 10:17   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by thresh0ld View Post
Don't blame Valve for updating thier game..It is up to the sourcemod devs to play catch-up.[...]
That is just wrong. Valve damn well knows part of THEIR profits is because metamod and sourcemod with the hundreds of plugins exist. It should be their duty to at least have the decency to announce those changes to make it possible for the mm and sm devs to catch up before those are made public. In my opinion they should even pay for the alliedmodders-servers etc. and cover a certain amount of the other expenses. Pretty much every server there is is running metamod and/or sourcemod or amx mod.
RavenDan29
Veteran Member
Old 07-04-2013 , 10:20   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #86

the steam engine merely lends its self to sourcemod and metamod but both were created separately from steam itself therefore steam and valve don't give a monkeys about it cause its nothing todo with them, its possible a new program will end up being needed but I hope not cause that would mean starting again and waiting for peps to make mods for the new program, its like borderlands 1 & 2 willowtree went byebye when 2 came around but someone quickly adapted a new prog called gibbed.
Part-Time Asshole
Old 07-04-2013 , 10:25   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #87

source-engine != steam-engine
dcx2
Old 07-04-2013 , 10:55   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenDan29 View Post
Cant see how, when you click on l4d2 to play it insists on updateing, then logging on to server says mismatch version on dev console so no choice but to update the server, you would have to ask the gsp to undo the update.
Thanks for the reply. I have no GSP, I run a personal server on a home laptop and I play primarily with my wife and friend, who play only on our server, so we don't care if we can't play on other servers or with other people. So there is no update to undo on the server.

The problem I'm having is trying to get the client to run without updating. I managed to find a client copy of 2.1.2.3 (the last version hldsupdatetool distributed) and I made a backup of it. I went into L4D2 properties in Steam and turned off automatic updates. But it still wanted to update as soon as I launched.

Honestly, I *really* wish there was a way to disable or at least defer updates on the client side. This kind of thing happens often enough that I wish *I* could choose when updates are applied, so that I could wait until SM devs work their magic before updating. I absolutely hate automatic updates - for this very reason, because updates have a tendency to break things. For example, my smart phone updated one day, without my permission (!!), and my alarm clock app would no longer recognize when I clicked on it to enable and disable alarms. But I could still set alarms. x.x

So...any ideas on how to get the client to not automatically update at launch? Maybe there's some command line kung fu?

Last edited by dcx2; 07-04-2013 at 10:57.
Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 07-04-2013 , 11:01   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #89

Hmm login, offline-mode, and LAN-game?
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 07-04-2013 , 11:13   Re: L4D2 update broke sourcemod?
Reply With Quote #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcx2 View Post
Honestly, I *really* wish there was a way to disable or at least defer updates on the client side.
Right Click the game in your Library -> Properties -> Updates -> "Do not automatically update this game"

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).