Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Portable Allpurpose Detour Class [Hooking Non-Virtual funcs]

Post New Thread Reply   

vancelorgin
Old 01-26-2006 , 15:22   Portable Allpurpose Detour Class [Hooking Non-Virtual funcs]
Reply With Quote #1

Dunno if I posted this earlier somewhere, dunno if SourceMM can do this yet, but what the hell, I'm here now.

This will hook, on x86, any function in your process space. It can be modified to work on linux with, again, just VirtualProtect translations. An example's included.

If you use this anywhere, just please give me credit for it. That's the only license.
Attached Files
File Type: zip cdetour.zip (15.8 KB, 331 views)
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-26-2006 , 18:47  
Reply With Quote #2

There you are vance !

There are a few things I needed to ask you once upon a time, but when you said you didnt have much time I decided best not to ask.

Would you mind a pm if I can remember what they were ?
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-21-2006 , 01:33  
Reply With Quote #3

Ok, i have managed to incorporate it and get it to work.

But I have one feature which isn't currently available in this version.
The ability for different function types, void is all that is catered for.

If that was added, this would be one of the sickest classes I've ever seen =)
Old 03-21-2006 , 12:15  
Reply With Quote #4

Was there any reason all of those crazy win32 types were used instead of cross-platform types?

Also, MSVC8 absolutely blows up at your code. And when I compiled it with MSVC7 and ran it, DEP killed the program, though I guess that's to be expected.
Send a message via MSN to showdax
BAILOPAN
Old 03-21-2006 , 17:24  
Reply With Quote #5

If you use VirtualAlloc properly you should be able to get around DEP.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-22-2006 , 09:07  
Reply With Quote #6

Meh, I got it to work fine. It wouldnt work as a stand alone project in MSVC without adding all the type definitions, but once I moved it into a S:MM project, Valve have already defined all those types.

So, right now im working on a version which takes a Template, much like CUtlVector, so the hooked functions can have a return type
Old 05-11-2006 , 13:57  
Reply With Quote #7

Glad to see people using it.

About all the win specific types, BYTE and the like, I had a reason, but I've long since forgotten. char* away.

As for the return types, it supports anything really. On x86's, the only real return value is passed in eax, so cast .Org to whatever you want, forcefully. entity* pEnt = (entity*)Det.Org(index); etc. As for functions that return full classes, that's obviously not merely stored in eax (usually a ptr to a class in the calling func's stack space to hold the return val is passed as an arg - disasm/debug there to make sure).

And the new visual studios have gotten less and less welcoming to my code. I guess they're trying to ween us off languages capable of writing a competing OS
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-11-2006 , 17:40  
Reply With Quote #8

vance, i meant more a long the lines of returning to the engine.

I could successfully hook a function and not call the Orig() function, but if i called Orig() the engine crashed.

Ex: I was hooking CreateEntityByName as a quick test, when I called Orig() the engine errored with a "Cannot Create Entity with classname 'RANDOM SHITE HERE'" error.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-29-2006 , 14:14  
Reply With Quote #9

Code:
CDetourDis.cpp: In member function `unsigned char* CDetourDis::CopyF6(const CDetourDis::COPYENTRY*, unsigned char*, unsigned char*)':
CDetourDis.cpp:335: error: argument of type `unsigned char*(CDetourDis::)(const CDetourDis::COPYENTRY*, unsigned char*, unsigned char*)' does not match `unsigned char*(CDetourDis::*)(const CDetourDis::COPYENTRY*, unsigned char*, unsigned char*)'
CDetourDis.cpp:347: error: argument of type `unsigned char*(CDetourDis::)(const CDetourDis::COPYENTRY*, unsigned char*, unsigned char*)' does not match `unsigned char*(CDetourDis::*)(const CDetourDis::COPYENTRY*, unsigned char*, unsigned char*)'
CDetourDis.cpp: In member function `unsigned char* CDetourDis::CopyF7(const CDetourDis::COPYENTRY*, unsigned char*, unsigned char*)':
CDetourDis.cpp:357: error: argument of type `unsigned char*(CDetourDis::)(const CDetourDis::COPYENTRY*, unsigned char*, unsigned char*)' does not match `unsigned char*(CDetourDis::*)(const CDetourDis::COPYENTRY*, unsigned char*, unsigned char*)'
CDetourDis.cpp:369: error: argument of type `unsigned char*(CDetourDis::)(const CDetourDis::COPYENTRY*, unsigned char*, unsigned char*)' does not match `unsigned char*(CDetourDis::*)(const CDetourDis::COPYENTRY*, unsigned char*, unsigned char*)'
CDetourDis.cpp: In member function `unsigned char* CDetourDis::CopyFF(const CDetourDis::COPYENTRY*, unsigned char*, unsigned char*)':
CDetourDis.cpp:397: error: argument of type `unsigned char*(CDetourDis::)(const CDetourDis::COPYENTRY*, unsigned char*, unsigned char*)' does not match `unsigned char*(CDetourDis::*)(const CDetourDis::COPYENTRY*, unsigned char*, unsigned char*)'
CDetourDis.cpp: At global scope:
CDetourDis.cpp:681: error: argument of type `unsigned char*(CDetourDis::)(const CDetourDis::COPYENTRY*, unsigned char*, unsigned char*)' does not match `unsigned char*(CDetourDis::*)(const CDetourDis::COPYENTRY*, unsigned char*, unsigned char*)'
CDetourDis.cpp:942: error: argument of type `unsigned char*(CDetourDis::)(const CDetourDis::COPYENTRY*, unsigned char*, unsigned char*)' does not match `unsigned char*(CDetourDis::*)(const CDetourDis::COPYENTRY*, unsigned char*, unsigned char*)'
These are the last couple of errors Im left with while converting to work on linux.
Old 05-30-2006 , 15:37  
Reply With Quote #10

Normally I would never dream of writing a post like this, and I hope Bail doesn't blow up on me ( ), but for those interested I thought I'd say something.

I've recently taken the time to write a generic non-virtual function hooker from scratch, inspired by the interesting concept of SourceHook.

Likewise, I've researched Detours a bit, and the Intel x86 instruction set documentation, and I feel I've come up with a solution similar to SH -- by that I mean a system of hooking a single function several times, and handling invocation with an internal function pointer list.

I don't write HL2 mods so I don't know how well or how crappy it will work in conjunction with SourceHook (it seems to be a desired thing though), so it may be interesting to see how well it pans out.

Since this was really just my personal research project, it may or may not be further developed, but I hope it will be of use to someone.

It is meant to be loaded as a DLL and used as a normal library would, so there is one header to include and one .c to link with a project using it. I thought this might be the easiest way of including it in a project given the limitations of the compiliation issues (it did require some ridiculous assembly hacks).

Released under the GPL at http://uhook.net