Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[TF2] New Scream Fortress Unusual Taunts

Post New Thread Reply   

PC Gamer
Veteran Member
Old 04-18-2022 , 11:55   Re: [TF2] New Scream Fortress Unusual Taunts
Reply With Quote #11

After much effort I was able to get all of the taunts to work mostly correctly. With some issues.

FlaminSarge is right. The particle effect is better. gdfsgdfg is also correct when he said that some particles remain in the world and don't get removed.

My newest solution uses a hybrid of both methods. I use particle effects unless there is a known problem with the particle not getting removed. In that event I use a wearable method.

Pros: Taunt effects are selected from a menu. All taunt effects could be executed. Effects spawn at/near feet instead of hat. Effects would refire if required. Taunt effects were saved with client preferences. Taunt effects that were supposed to originate on the ground actually do.

Cons: Taunts that are supposed to encompass the whole body don't. The chained effects are backwards. When applied to an indefinite taunt (such as the dancing taunts) the effect can, and often will crash the server.

I'm not much of a programmer, so it's been a struggle for me. I would normally post the current code here and hope that someone will help to debug the crash problem but I'm reluctant to post code that I know can crash a server. I'll keep working on it until I hit a wall or get too frustrated.

If anyone can help debug by reviewing my accelerator crash IDs here they are:
FRH2-SBPB-QE6H
QJGZ-HISA-IRIH
J5FD-RTZI-PW73
gdfsgdfg
Old 04-19-2022 , 10:41   Re: [TF2] New Scream Fortress Unusual Taunts
Reply With Quote #12

I really don't get why attributes never seem to work for me I tried a separate plugin to apply them and always plugin errors when trying to apply "attach particle effect" or "taunt attach particle index".

The second one is how the game applies these taunt effects from self-made hats and unusual taunts in the first place.

I can only assume the second one double-checks your inventory first if the item is real. But I doubt valve would have gone the full mile.

Last edited by gdfsgdfg; 04-19-2022 at 12:10.
PC Gamer
Veteran Member
Old 04-22-2022 , 08:13   Re: [TF2] New Scream Fortress Unusual Taunts
Reply With Quote #13

I'm posting the result of my efforts here now that the plugin is stable.

This plugin will allow any player to use a command to call a menu that shows most of the unusual taunt effects. Once an effect is selected the effect will be apply to all subsequent taunts. Most, but not all of the unusual taunt effects are available. I prevented effects that don't work well from appearing in the menu (they exist in the source code but are commented out).

This plugin uses a hybrid method of generating effects. If an effect is known to be problematic a wearable effect is used. Otherwise a particle effect is generated on the player. I've also added a re-fire mechanism to generate effects that need to periodically trigger while taunting after a specific time such as the ShowStopper, Mega Strike, and Roaring Rockets.

Players can select an effect, remove the effect, or select a random effect. If a random effect is chosen every subsequent taunt will be randomized.

Plugin Info:
Unusual Taunt Effects for Team Fortress 2.

Admin Flag Required:
None

Plugin Dependencies:
TF2Attributes by FlaminSarge or nosoop. Here's a link: https://github.com/nosoop/tf2attributes
SM-TFEconData by the talented nosoop. Here's a link: https://github.com/nosoop/SM-TFEconData
Note: This plugin is compatible with SourceMod v1.11.

Player commands (all commands will open the same unusual effects menu):
!ut
!utaunt
!utaunts

I'm sharing this plugin in the hopes that someone with more SourceMod programming experience can make all of the commented out taunt effects work as designed. Feel free edit and share any improvements.

Bugs that need your help to fix:
1. 25 taunts are commented out because I can't seem to generate their particles correctly.
2. 8 taunts require a wearable that will sometimes spawn at waist height instead of floor.
3. Taunts will sometimes remain after use in the world until round end.
Attached Files
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (UnusualTaunts.sp - 35 views - 14.3 KB)
File Type: smx unusualtaunts.smx (10.3 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by PC Gamer; 04-22-2022 at 08:17.