Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[many games] AdsQL Advertisements System - v1.7.8 - Last Updated 2011-04-02

Post New Thread Reply   

matrixmark
Old 12-10-2012 , 06:15   Re: [many games] AdsQL Advertisements System - v1.7.8 - Last Updated 2011-04-02
Reply With Quote #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokok View Post
Does anyone tried v2.2 . Has anyone noticed any bugs or problems ? If any, do pm me.
Installed yesterday and so far it's looking good

Only thing I did notice in the webpanel is that you cant delete or edit adverts from there... I have to go into phpadmin to do it.
lokok
BANNED
Old 12-10-2012 , 06:39   Re: [many games] AdsQL Advertisements System - v1.7.8 - Last Updated 2011-04-02
Reply With Quote #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixmark View Post
Installed yesterday and so far it's looking good

Only thing I did notice in the webpanel is that you cant delete or edit adverts from there... I have to go into phpadmin to do it.
I can edit adverts without any problems, and of course delete them as well. Are u sure that everything is configured in your case ?
Send a message via ICQ to lokok
matrixmark
Old 12-10-2012 , 09:18   Re: [many games] AdsQL Advertisements System - v1.7.8 - Last Updated 2011-04-02
Reply With Quote #263

Quote:
I can edit adverts without any problems, and of course delete them as well. Are u sure that everything is configured in your case ?

I originally thought it was due to firefox as it loads up all fine in IE but on further looking its all down to ADBLOCK in firefox preventing it from loading properly.

Once I disable adblock and then refresh its all good.

Last edited by matrixmark; 12-10-2012 at 09:20.
PharaohsPaw
Old 12-11-2012 , 07:54   Re: [many games] AdsQL Advertisements System - v1.7.8 - Last Updated 2011-04-02
Reply With Quote #264

Guys, thanks for picking this up. I'm sure there will be at least some people in the sourcemod community that will appreciate it.

I'm pretty sure I'm DONE messing with Valve games. Feel free to do whatever you like to the plugin or the web UI. I would ask that the "fork" be named something else and that proper credit be given to me, not to mention the others who had their hands in this before me before *I* took a hold of it. My wife and I put a LOT of work into this plugin to clean up the web UI's HTML/W3C compliance, make the ad order changing work in IE, etc. not to mention all the work there was in the plugin itself.

The plugin itself doesn't need anything special to support CS:GO since its gamedir has a unique name that is not a substring match of some other game's gamedir value. This stuff is commented in my original plugin source code. You only have to "add support" to the plugin code itself for a game when one game's gamedir value is a substring match of another -- for example, cstrike vs. cstrikebeta. That's why I added that section of code to add conditional checks for "special cases" - so in cases like that, you could tell the plugin to use a different name for the game type when doing the SQL query to retrieve ads for that game.

The only thing you always have to update when you add a game is the web interface, like the other person pointed out a few posts back. Just don't forget to make the same changes to the "edit" php and the "create" php files.

And I know I've said this before, the last time somebody said they wanted to take over maintaining this plugin, but it is important: Be careful what you call junk in the plugin code and start removing because you don't think it's necessary. The plugin was horribly broken as far as displaying multiple ads at one time, multiple ad timers running concurrently, etc. and in some cases only with certain games. It took quite a while to identify all of the culprits and get code added to the plugin to handle all of those scenarios. You may think upon a "cursory" glance at the plugin source code that what I did was stupid -- but take the time read through it, follow the functions around, etc. before you start yanking anything out that you think doesn't need to be there. Because it WORKS.

BTW, something else I did for the brief period that we messed around with running some CS:GO servers was go into the plugin sources and remove EVERYTHING related to tickrate calculation. It occurred to me that we never used the {TICKRATE} variable in any of our ads, and yet, the plugin was still hooking every server frame so it could keep the value of {TICKRATE} accurate. I took it out as an optimization -- why have the plugin hook every server frame to do some math if we don't even use {TICKRATE}? Basically it entails removing the section of conditional ad "content" checks for "{TICKRATE}" while it is building the ad message to print to the user, removing the hook and functions that the hook calls, and removing the variable declarations that are used by this function. I checked the entire plugin source code multiple times to be sure that nothing else was using those variables, and ran that "modded" version of the plugin on our dead CS:GO servers for probably about a month. Ran fine.

I was considering releasing an updated version with that TICKRATE removal work done, but then Valve released whichever update it was that finished breaking the popup menus. Our servers were basically dead anyway, except the little brief burst of players we used to get immediately after updates were released (because we were using a modded nemrun to update and were always one of the first few servers back online) -- but killing the menus was the final nail for me. Being intimately aware of the non-existent attention span of the majority of players these days, I was not about to try to convince every player that connected to one of our servers to try to rebind a bunch of keys to other game commands to be able to vote for maps while dead or in spec, etc. Waste of time upon a further waste of time.

Peace out.

Last edited by PharaohsPaw; 12-11-2012 at 08:04.
PharaohsPaw
Old 12-11-2012 , 08:08   Re: [many games] AdsQL Advertisements System - v1.7.8 - Last Updated 2011-04-02
Reply With Quote #265

Short version: Pat on the back to the folks picking up this plugin, but please start a different thread/topic/fork so people don't get confused about whose version they're running.
lokok
BANNED
Old 12-11-2012 , 09:04   Re: [many games] AdsQL Advertisements System - v1.7.8 - Last Updated 2011-04-02
Reply With Quote #266

Just copy the topic ? Who gonna do that ? So it's no longer supported then -> unapprove?
matrixmark
Old 12-11-2012 , 09:29   Re: [many games] AdsQL Advertisements System - v1.7.8 - Last Updated 2011-04-02
Reply With Quote #267

Quote:
Just copy the topic ? Who gonna do that ? So it's no longer supported then -> unapprove?
Looks that way.. such a shame.

Last edited by matrixmark; 12-11-2012 at 09:29.
PharaohsPaw
Old 12-11-2012 , 19:17   Re: [many games] AdsQL Advertisements System - v1.7.8 - Last Updated 2011-04-02
Reply With Quote #268

the more things change the more they stay the same
lokok
BANNED
Old 12-11-2012 , 20:16   Re: [many games] AdsQL Advertisements System - v1.7.8 - Last Updated 2011-04-02
Reply With Quote #269

Hey can you give a link in the 1-st post to one of mine for ex ?
lokok
BANNED
Old 12-11-2012 , 23:10   Re: [many games] AdsQL Advertisements System - v1.7.8 - Last Updated 2011-04-02
Reply With Quote #270

Hey why new String:g_text[1024][192]; means advert length is max 192