Raised This Month: $7 Target: $400
 1% 

amxbans 4.0

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

GIR
Old 04-19-2004 , 14:32  

[quote="ymboc"]No the same thing doesnt happen when myself or a user spams with say messages -- My ping doesnt budge at all. Clearly you havent tested.

Really what settings did you change to test this. And what script did you use, don't tell me you did it by hand. Give me a place and time and I'll be happy to demonstrate the effects of a proper spam script. The AMX X spam filter isn't there for nothing. It's there to keep losers from spamming your server and effectively crashing it.

Quote:
Yes, I run a fairly popular server myself with several stubborn users who insist on hammering the server until they get in. No, the effect of this introduced lag isnt huge, but it is still there. It is certainly not big enough for me to stop using this lovely time-saving plugin. However, the constant denials and jabs that I must be an 'idiot' for even testing if this plugin introduces lag is *really getting old*.
I never said that, but the way you are making a huge deal out of a fly (as you have just adminitted) is annoying to say the least. As I recall from your other thread you we're about to sound the air-raid horn just because this pluguin causes lag, admittedly now you have over exadurated your claims. Thank you for waisting my time.

Although I never said you were an idiot for claiming this plugin causes lag, if I thought you were an idiot I would've never tested wether it does cause lag, but you are an idiot for exadurating and making people believe that their server is going to lag out when they install this plugin.

Quote:
Clearly you weren't paying attention when you looked at the code... You did look at the code first didnt you? I shudder to think if you just spewed info without looking for facts to back them up. The sql query executed on connect is actually more complex.
Actually the query in my plugin is a little more complex because it uses LIKE so I don't have to punch in the whole name or id.

My amx_find query:
Code:
"SELECT bid,ban_created,ban_length,ban_reason,admin_nick,admin_id,player_nick FROM amx_bans WHERE player_id LIKE '%s' OR player_nick LIKE '%s" order by ban_created desc"
As you can see I use the LIKE statement twice in my query, which is sure to be a bigger resource hog then the relatively simple connect query.

Quote:
Good for you! As I've already stated how much lag you see (if any at all) is proportional to the length taken to complete the query. In fact, it should be roughly equal to the sum of the network latency between the sql server and game server plus the length of time required to complete the query. The effect on my server is about a 10-30ms blib when someone connects - hard to notice indeed.
It sounds to me that you are trying to run a server on mediocre hardware and mediocre lines at best. My server is a Athlon XP 1800 which is more then enough to handle the extra load of this plugin and a MySQL server.

And if the effects are hard to notice then what are you complaining about? Why are you trying to convince people that this plugin causes lag? What is the whole point in stating that this plugin could cause lag when the added load of the plugin is unnoticable, or even hard to notice at best.

Quote:
I love how you decide for everyone else what is feasible or not. That just rocks! In addition, I don't believe anyone specifically asking you to do this - it was just put out there.
That's the whole point of some research. If I had concluded that infact the plugin would benefit from the multithreading then I would've implemented myself. Seeing as my conclusion is that it's not really feasible and pretty much useless, I won't do it.

I never decided anything for anybody. I just shared my conclusions with the rest of you. It's upto you to decide wether you want to believe me or not.

Quote:
I do have a couple ideas on how to do the thread business -- 'simply' start a new thread from within client_authorized(id) that performs the query and handles its outcome. However as previously mentioned, mthread is reportedly not working with amxmodx (I haven't confirmed this myself yet). Furthermore, as mentioned I do not have the time at the moment to test my ideas -- if I did I would have already put the modification out there.
I thought of that myself but the fact still remains that you can't work away the original load, the line latency and the overhead caused by spawning threads, which is the hart of this problem. HLDS already spawns a thread for every user that connects so one blocking function in the connect function of one user wouldn't cause any lag to other users unless the hardware couldn't handle the load.

Quote:
Now, I dont know about you but this spat (between you and I) and the constant denials + jabs are getting old... maybe we should put it to rest and leave it as is.
Is there a spat? I took you seriously up untill now, but seeing as you have made this into somekinda personal vendeta I won't anymore. I even investigated wether there was a remote chance of my own server not being able to handle the load of this plugin. Yes there is a chance but the scenario for that is so outragous that I won't help along in working it away. The load caused by this plugin in normal use is minimal like you've stated yourself. Only after I had a script spam the server with find queries I was able to have some noticeable lag.
ymboc
Old 04-19-2004 , 22:58  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIR
Really what settings did you change to test this. And what script did you use, don't tell me you did it by hand. Give me a place and time and I'll be happy to demonstrate the effects of a proper spam script. The AMX X spam filter isn't there for nothing. It's there to keep losers from spamming your server and effectively crashing it.
I tested this from the server console window.

Quote:
I never said that, but the way you are making a huge deal out of a fly (as you have just adminitted) is annoying to say the least. As I recall from your other thread you we're about to sound the air-raid horn just because this pluguin causes lag, admittedly now you have over exadurated your claims. Thank you for waisting my time.

Although I never said you were an idiot for claiming this plugin causes lag, if I thought you were an idiot I would've never tested wether it does cause lag, but you are an idiot for exadurating and making people believe that their server is going to lag out when they install this plugin.
I have not in any way attempted to exaggerate the issue. From the very beginning I have allways been speaking regarding the potential of lag. I have also said from the very beginning that any lag that it does introduce does not make the game unplayable and is indeed not *that* noticable in gameplay, but rather only when very closely monitoring pings. I have been upfront about this from the beginning and was rather surprised by the attitude you presented in your replies.

All in all I have done my best to ignore the personal attacks such as the one above, and chose to respond (albeit somewhat passionately) with facts -- particuraly when you have either not consulted the facts or ignored them compeltely. Frankly, I was dissappointed that you had dragged this issue (from the last thread) into this thread as well. Poor Form.

Quote:
Actually the query in my plugin is a little more complex because it uses LIKE so I don't have to punch in the whole name or id.
So only in your personally customized version of the plugin is the amx_find query more complex. Despite this, as I originally wrote, I still maintain that the amx_find comand will cause a quantity of lag similar to that of the query called on client_authorize.

Quote:
It sounds to me that you are trying to run a server on mediocre hardware and mediocre lines at best. My server is a Athlon XP 1800 which is more then enough to handle the extra load of this plugin and a MySQL server.
Supposed Mediocre hardware is not an issue (P4 1.7 ghz). But here in your above post the crux of the issue appears. Unlike you, my DB server is not located on the same computer -- infact it is located across the continent (shitty, I know). So in your case network latency is clearly not part of the equation whereas anyone else hosting their sql server externally of their game server will find network latency as part of the equation (to a varying degree).

Quote:
And if the effects are hard to notice then what are you complaining about? Why are you trying to convince people that this plugin causes lag? What is the whole point in stating that this plugin could cause lag when the added load of the plugin is unnoticable, or even hard to notice at best.
I have never been out to convince anyone that this plugin is a 'lag hazard'. I have repeatedly said that the effect is not making the game unplayable and that I myself will continue to use this plugin regardless of the situation. I have merely responding to your repeated attempts to discredit me. I fear I may be in danger of losing count of the number of times you have distorted or lied about facts in your efforts to do just that....

Quote:
...<snip>...
I thought of that myself but the fact still remains that you can't work away the original load, the line latency and the overhead caused by spawning threads, which is the hart of this problem. HLDS already spawns a thread for every user that connects so one blocking function in the connect function of one user wouldn't cause any lag to other users unless the hardware couldn't handle the load.
Either you're knowingly spewing BS again, or you've got some serious misconceptions....

The server very clearly does not create one thread per user -- It doesnt even make sense to do that! -- look up your own process statistics if you dont believe me. As far as I know the server does not perform any appreciable amount of parallel processing while waiting for a plugin to complete (eg: a plugin waiting on a response from a sql server).

Quote:
Is there a spat?...
As if. I suppose next you're going to tell me that you've never been aggressive nor offensive in any of your posts -- in many of which you seem to go to great lengths to attack and/or discredit your 'target' whether that be myself, bigballer, or some other innocent bystander caught in your crosshairs. Like I said earlier: Bad Form.
Old 04-20-2004 , 04:00  

Ok is this forum for discussion between the users or what

I thought we could post ideas, bugs and ect. Actually i have postet an issue further up, and no one can check that out for me? I dont know so much about scripting, so plzzzzzz i need ur help guys.

Its actually about amxban :-)

Kind regards

Morpheus
YoMama
Old 04-20-2004 , 06:40  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
Ok is this forum for discussion between the users or what

I thought we could post ideas, bugs and ect. Actually i have postet an issue further up, and no one can check that out for me? I dont know so much about scripting, so plzzzzzz i need ur help guys.

Its actually about amxban :-)

Kind regards

Morpheus
I agree Morpheus...

But as far as your question on amxbans + HLGuard goes: I posted a solution for this somewhere in the thread on the amxmod forums. Check there, and see if that works for you. if not, let me know...
Send a message via ICQ to YoMama
Morpheus
Old 04-20-2004 , 08:15  

Quote:
I agree Morpheus...

But as far as your question on amxbans + HLGuard goes: I posted a solution for this somewhere in the thread on the amxmod forums. Check there, and see if that works for you. if not, let me know...
Ok as I could find m8 was this, but still a lot of confusion:

Code:
hlg_aimbot "banid 60.0 %w kick;wait;writeid"
Should be replaced with

Code:
hlg_aimbot "amx_ban 60 %w HLG detected aimbot"
Can anyone confirm this? Will amxban record all the info about the player? Thinking of the SteamID the correct place in amxban on web and name in the name field?

Also you are refering l8ter in the post.

Code:
amx_ban 0 %n %y
Quote:
AMXbans will find the steamID itself. It should work if you use this command.
Taken from this url

http://djeyl.net/forum/index.php?sho...hlguard&st=240

Also im very confused, because Jekyl has made a hlg_ban (instead of amxban.amx for hlguard, but that wont work in AMX X

Try check under download section in here, "AMX Plugins for servers already running AMX"

http://insane.4u-servers.co.uk/bans/download.php

Plz advice

Kind regards

Morpheus

P.s Ok edited this thread:

Its running now, but is there a way not using the amx_mysql.amx? I want my users.ini to be used in stead.

Also the server says its using:
[AMXX] Using Motd games.xs4all.nl/bans/motd_details.php..

Should that not be some link to my server? Where do i change that?

Kind regards

Morpheus
ymboc
Old 04-20-2004 , 11:42  

Quote:
Its running now, but is there a way not using the amx_mysql.amx? I want my users.ini to be used in stead.
I imagine if it will work fine with hlguard, you could just use the normal admin.amx instead of admin_mysql_098.amx (or whatever its named now) without issue. You will lose some of amxbans' usefull functionality and I'd imagine the ban stats wont work as well anymore either.

Quote:

You can change this from the 'server mgmt' page. Click on the edit button beside your server's name under the 'Ban msg' Column.

Aside: My appologies for my involvement in the side tracking of the discussion at hand... I would have much rather prefered that such discussion would have been left as-was from the previous thread (ie: dead).
Old 04-20-2004 , 12:20   Please help!

Hi

I still have problems with this plugin.

When i start my server it says:
"[AMXX] MYSQL error: You have an error in your SQL sy"

What can be wrong.

It's a CZERO server, on Mandrake.
But the web and db is on a different server, but i have tried it all.

Please help, why wont it connect to the DB???

PS: This is my modules.ini
Quote:
; AMX Mod X Modules; You can specify both linux & win32 modules here
;;Use i686 instead of i386 to use glibc2.3 optimized binaries

; Fun - This has extra functions for "extra" stuff
fun_amx_i386.so

; Engine - This has engine functions core to half-life
;engine_amx_i386.so

; MySQL - This adds MySQL connection support
mysql_amx_i386.so

; Counter-Strike - This adds functions specific to Counter-Strike
;cstrike_amx_i386.so

; CS Stats - This adds functionality for CS statistical information
csstats_amx_i386.so
And this is my plugins.ini:
Quote:
;admin.amx ; admin base (required for any admin-related)
admin_mysql.amx ; admin base - MySQL version (comment admin.amx)
amxbans.amx
admincmd.amx ; basic admin console commands
adminhelp.amx ; help command for admin console commands
adminslots.amx ; slot reservation
menufront.amx ; front-end for admin menus
cmdmenu.amx ; command menu (speech, settings)
plmenu.amx ; players menu (kick, ban, client cmds.)
;restmenu.amx ; restrict weapons menu
;telemenu.amx ; teleport menu (Fun Module required!)
mapsmenu.amx ; maps menu (vote, changelevel)
antiflood.amx ; prevent clients from chat-flooding the server
adminchat.amx ; console chat commands
adminvote.amx ; vote commands
nextmap.amx ; displays next map in mapcycle
timeleft.amx ; displays time left on map
mapchooser.amx ; allows to vote for next map
scrollmsg.amx ; displays a scrolling message
imessage.amx ; displays information messages
;welcomemsg.amx ; displays motd @ client connection
pausecfg.amx ; allows to pause and unpause some plugins
stats.amx ; stats on death or round end (CSStats Module required!)
stats_logging.amx ; weapons stats logging (CSStats Module required!)
miscstats.amx ; bunch of events announcement for Counter-Strike
statscfg.amx ; allows to manage stats plugins via menu and commands
amx_atac_cfg.amx
amx_atac.amx
;amx_chicken.amx
;amx_gore.amx
;psrank.amx
What about the .cfg files. Where do they have to be?
And is it called mysql.cfg og just sql.cfg?
ymboc
Old 04-20-2004 , 12:42  

On another note...

Seems to be some minor bugs when running amxbans in the root of a domain (eg: bans.host.com vs www.host.com/bans ).

To get it mostly working I use...
Code:
$CFG->wwwroot	= "";
However, under such conditions clicking on home from an admin page does not link to http://bans.host.com/ but rather to http://bans.host.com/admin/ (which depending on your httpd's config you may or may not get the index of the directory).

Edit:
This is corrected by changing part of line 57 in header.php from
Code:
 home
to
Code:
home
And again on line 114 in header.php (although not really necessary - as a non-logged in user will never be on an admin page)

Edit#2:
There may also be a some minor misreporting of the amx version of amxban.sma - the version line reads
Code:
new amxbans_version[10] = "amx_2.0"
When it should read
Code:
new amxbans_version[10] = "amx_2.1"
Or at least so I presume since the server mgmt page is 'itching at me about not running up to date plugins. Alternatively, You could of course change the current version in the version.inc file you (yomama) host :p

Cheers
Old 04-20-2004 , 13:21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymboc
Quote:
I imagine if it will work fine with hlguard, you could just use the normal admin.amx instead of admin_mysql_098.amx (or whatever its named now) without issue. You will lose some of amxbans' usefull functionality and I'd imagine the ban stats wont work as well anymore either.

Quote:

You can change this from the 'server mgmt' page. Click on the edit button beside your server's name under the 'Ban msg' Column.

Aside: My appologies for my involvement in the side tracking of the discussion at hand... I would have much rather prefered that such discussion would have been left as-was from the previous thread (ie: dead).
Hi there!

Every thing is working! I will strongly recommend that no one is using AMX BAN menus in game, because its banning the right player now. That is working, well it didnt b4. So ur on the right tract YoMama :-). Second when banning in game via menu, it wont show up on the web!!! Its saying that the banning is recorded to banned.cfg!!! But no ban is recorded in there.

But if you do it manually via console [No C-D]players is working fine :-), and the ban works fine ! Just remember the reason for gods sake :-)

So how do i disable ban menus in game? No admins are allowed to use that!! How do i do that?

Kind regards

Morpheus
ymboc
Old 04-20-2004 , 13:45  

Quote:
Every thing is working! I will strongly recommend that no one is using AMX BAN menus in game, because its banning the right player now. That is working, well it didnt b4. So ur on the right tract YoMama :-). Second when banning in game via menu, it wont show up on the web!!! Its saying that the banning is recorded to banned.cfg!!! But no ban is recorded in there.
There's a fix for that... you can find it on the amxmod.net forums - let me see if I can find you a link.

Edit - here it is:
http://djeyl.net/forum/index.php?sho...dpost&p=200862

This may require some changes to function in amxmodx