Raised This Month: $7 Target: $400
 1% 

amxbans 4.0

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

BigBaller
Veteran Member
Old 04-18-2004 , 20:04  

If you think im being uptight then you have a lot to learn about me. I just point something simple out. Common sense is far greater then no sense at all, I pointed something out and used common sense.

ymboc
Old 04-19-2004 , 03:19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIR
Anywayz, I've been looking into the multithreaded thing the guy in the other forumthread suggested, and I don't think it's really a feasible thing.

You could place amx_find in a seperate thread but that's just about it. All the other information is needed on the spot so calling up the information in a seperate thread isn't possible.

amx_find is the only exception to this rule because with amx_find it doesn't matter when you get the information, as long as the query completes succesfully you can display the info anytime you want.

The main issue of lag isn't caused by this plugin, but by the distance between the CS server and the MySQL server. If your MySQL server is far away and your latency is high then there is going to be a noticable amount of lag.

But like I said before, this plugin is not the blame of that problem and I really don't think anything doen to this plugin will solve that problem.

Anywayz which idiot does 20 amx_find queries at once? What are we talking about here, a problem which only virtualy excists in a simulation. the amx_find command is hardly used.
Was that *really* necessary?

The amx_find command was referenced because it peforms a similar query to that which the plugin produces everytime a user connects.

So any lag you might see in a amx_find command is approximately what you'd see during a player's connect phase. That is why I mentioned amx_find in the mentioned thread.

As I said before this doesnt make the game unplayable (the effect may be unnoticable) but it does introduce lag - particularly if the query takes a long time to complete.

as far as the feasiblity is concerned.... afaik mthread is not yet supported by amxmodx (baliopan mentioned some issues in a thread somewhere).... amxmod of course is another story.
Old 04-19-2004 , 03:29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller
If you think im being uptight then you have a lot to learn about me. I just point something simple out. Common sense is far greater then no sense at all, I pointed something out and used common sense.
Common sense ey? Common sense is something, my friend, you seem to lack as you seem to still not grasp the concept of sarcasm. Yes my friend, if you would've used your common sense then you would've known that infact I've been making fun ofyou all the time, but your common sense seems to fail you on that point as you still do not get it.

To get technical on your arse, as that seems to be the only language you understand. Nowhere in the rules does it say that the original author of a plugin isn't allowed to put his/her own name in the thread topic. Now where does common sense come in here?

If you would've used your common sense then you would've know that it doesn't matter at all wether his name is or isn't in the title and you would've kept your mouth shut.

Common sense, yeah sure!
GIR
Old 04-19-2004 , 03:38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymboc
Was that *really* necessary?

The amx_find command was referenced because it peforms a similar query to that which the plugin produces everytime a user connects.

So any lag you might see in a amx_find command is approximately what you'd see during a player's connect phase. That is why I mentioned amx_find in the mentioned thread.

As I said before this doesnt make the game unplayable (the effect may be unnoticable) but it does introduce lag - particularly if the query takes a long time to complete.

as far as the feasiblity is concerned.... afaik mthread is not yet supported by amxmodx (baliopan mentioned some issues in a thread somewhere).... amxmod of course is another story.
I'm sorry to say so but those are my findings. the only time my server lags is when I spam it with amx_find queries, the same thing would happen when somebody spams it with say events. The key being here, don't spam your server.

The admin query is only executed when the plugin is loaded and the ban query is only executed when somebody connects. Both YoMama and me run very active servers, whe get a lot of connect request even when the server is full. Our servers get hammered alot but we do not seem to have this problem.

Both the admin query and the connect query are relatively simple queries which any SQL server shouldn't have a problem executing. The amx_find query however is complex because it uses the FIND statement.

The only time my server started to lags is when I connected it to my MySQL server here at home and then spammed it with find queries.

Placing stuff in threads isn't feasebile at all. If you have a suggestion on howto do it then be my guest but it won't help along a single bit. If you spam your server then it's going to lag.
BigBaller
Veteran Member
Old 04-19-2004 , 03:58  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIR
Common sense ey? Common sense is something, my friend, you seem to lack as you seem to still not grasp the concept of sarcasm. Yes my friend, if you would've used your common sense then you would've known that infact I've been making fun ofyou all the time, but your common sense seems to fail you on that point as you still do not get it.

To get technical on your arse, as that seems to be the only language you understand. Nowhere in the rules does it say that the original author of a plugin isn't allowed to put his/her own name in the thread topic. Now where does common sense come in here?

If you would've used your common sense then you would've know that it doesn't matter at all wether his name is or isn't in the title and you would've kept your mouth shut.

Common sense, yeah sure!
Tsk tsk, I knew you was making fun of me the whole damn time, that is something you must have assumed I didnt see, but then again common sense also say when you assume you make a ass out of yourself. If you would have used your common sense then you would understand when someone is being seroius and not sarcastic, but you dont understand that concept either "my friend". I asked a simple question, I just was wondering why he placed his own name in his own plugin on the title. Then you say it is needed for approval? That dont show sarcasim, that showed stupidity.

Now back to the matter at hand

This plugin sounds a lot like something (i believe) KaspiR was working on phpamx I think it was, what exactly are the differences between phpamx and this (other then the fact this already has AMXX support)?

YoMama
Old 04-19-2004 , 05:35  

Quote:

This plugin sounds a lot like something (i believe) KaspiR was working on phpamx I think it was, what exactly are the differences between phpamx and this (other then the fact this already has AMXX support)?
I don't want to be rude, but isn't the documentation clear? Besides that, the *only* reason why this plugin is ported to amxx is because I had lots of requests for this. I don't know Kaspir or whatever he's working on, so I couldn't tell you whether or not it's the same. If Kaspir has documented whatever he's working on then you (as admin approving this plugin?) should be able to tell the differences. If not, please tell me where I can find Kaspir's documentation on his work, and I'll be happy to oblige.

But even if it would be the same, where's the harm in that? imho that just gives people more choice. If all else fails, then I guess I will remove the plugins (and therefor support to amxx); I don't believe that could be the intention.

Now just my two cents; I appreciate your (and with your I mean the amxx team) effort to carry a great (but unfortunatly stranded) concept further. I also understand the reason why one would moderate plugin submissions. But my opinion is that you guys are taking this a bit too far... Who cares if there are more plugins doing the same thing? Who cares if plugins contain bugs. Some people are more active on their projects than others. What if this plugin does not get 'approved' and Kaspir decides to stop working on his project? Or just doesn't give a crap about it being bug ridden? Where would that leave the serveradmins? Why moderating a plugin if you have lots of people in your community who can 'moderate' it for you? If they find any problems, they either post it in the forums and the author fixes them, or the plugin simply won't be used anymore since it contains errors; natural selection, simple as that.

I hope you understand this is not a flame. It's just that I, and lots of other people spend a lot of spare time on these kinds of projects, and I get the feeling that these 'rules' are making it difficult for people who'se only intention is to contribute to the (this) community.

Anyways, This thread was intended for people to download the plugin and give feedback on it. Maybe we should keep it at that. If there's something you need me to accomodate, let me know.

- YoMama
Send a message via ICQ to YoMama
GIR
Old 04-19-2004 , 07:39  

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIR

Common sense, yeah sure!
Tsk tsk, I knew you was making fun of me the whole damn time, that is something you must have assumed I didnt see, but then again common sense also say when you assume you make a ass out of yourself. If you would have used your common sense then you would understand when someone is being seroius and not sarcastic, but you dont understand that concept either "my friend". I asked a simple question, I just was wondering why he placed his own name in his own plugin on the title. Then you say it is needed for approval? That dont show sarcasim, that showed stupidity.
Aha, well stupidity is in the eye of the beholder. You say that you do grasp the concept of sarcasm and did know I was making fun of the situation. But then you continue to state that even though you knew all these things and you know I was making sarcastic comments, you thought it was "stupid" and not sarcastic at all... You know to me that sounds like stupidity.

What's even stupider is the fact that you would jump on a obvious trap like it was a sack of cornflakes.

Quote:

And what does that have todo with anything? You're asking for the differences between amxbans and phpamx... well an obvious difference might be that amxbans has amxx support while phpamx does not. Could that be a difference that matters? Could that mean something? Might that be the oh so huge difference you might be looking for? yes it is... Stupidity Bigballer is thy name!
Bry
Old 04-19-2004 , 10:07  

many thanks YoMama
this is the only mysql ban plugin that i have seen and it works great. I have been using it on amx for ages and can now prot my serve tto amxx.

Many Thanks for your hard work on imo the best plugin ever made
ymboc
Old 04-19-2004 , 13:33  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIR
I'm sorry to say so but those are my findings. the only time my server lags is when I spam it with amx_find queries, the same thing would happen when somebody spams it with say events. The key being here, don't spam your server.
No the same thing doesnt happen when myself or a user spams with say messages -- My ping doesnt budge at all. Clearly you havent tested.

Quote:
The admin query is only executed when the plugin is loaded and the ban query is only executed when somebody connects.
Yes, as I have already stated, but thanks for the update.

Quote:
Both YoMama and me run very active servers, whe get a lot of connect request even when the server is full. Our servers get hammered alot but we do not seem to have this problem.
Yes, I run a fairly popular server myself with several stubborn users who insist on hammering the server until they get in. No, the effect of this introduced lag isnt huge, but it is still there. It is certainly not big enough for me to stop using this lovely time-saving plugin. However, the constant denials and jabs that I must be an 'idiot' for even testing if this plugin introduces lag is *really getting old*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIR
Both the admin query and the connect query are relatively simple queries which any SQL server shouldn't have a problem executing. The amx_find query however is complex because it uses the FIND statement.
Clearly you weren't paying attention when you looked at the code... You did look at the code first didnt you? I shudder to think if you just spewed info without looking for facts to back them up. The sql query executed on connect is actually more complex.

Query used in amx_find:
Code:
format(query,1024,"SELECT bid,ban_created,ban_length,ban_reason,admin_nick,admin_id,player_nick FROM amx_bans WHERE player_id='%s' order by ban_created desc", player_steamid)
Query used on client_authorized:
Code:
format(query,bufgrootte,"SELECT bid,ban_created,ban_length,ban_reason,admin_nick,admin_id,player_nick,server_name,server_ip,ban_type FROM amx_bans WHERE ((player_id='%s') and ((ban_type='S') or (ban_type='P'))) or ((player_ip='%s') and ((ban_type='I') or (ban_type='P'))) %s %s",authid,plip,servers_allowed,servers_denied)
Quote:
The only time my server started to lags is when I connected it to my MySQL server here at home and then spammed it with find queries.
Good for you! As I've already stated how much lag you see (if any at all) is proportional to the length taken to complete the query. In fact, it should be roughly equal to the sum of the network latency between the sql server and game server plus the length of time required to complete the query. The effect on my server is about a 10-30ms blib when someone connects - hard to notice indeed.

Quote:
Placing stuff in threads isn't feasebile at all. If you have a suggestion on howto do it then be my guest but it won't help along a single bit. If you spam your server then it's going to lag.
I love how you decide for everyone else what is feasible or not. That just rocks! In addition, I don't believe anyone specifically asking you to do this - it was just put out there.

I do have a couple ideas on how to do the thread business -- 'simply' start a new thread from within client_authorized(id) that performs the query and handles its outcome. However as previously mentioned, mthread is reportedly not working with amxmodx (I haven't confirmed this myself yet). Furthermore, as mentioned I do not have the time at the moment to test my ideas -- if I did I would have already put the modification out there .

Now, I dont know about you but this spat (between you and I) and the constant denials + jabs are getting old... maybe we should put it to rest and leave it as is.
Old 04-19-2004 , 13:57  

Question for you all!

Im thinking that this post might be closed down or so, so thats why im posting me post in here.

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthr...?t=1045&page=2

Does anyone knows if it working, and what about reasons!?

And the question that im really interested in:

How can I get this to work with HLGUARD!?

Kind regards

Morpheus
Closed Thread