12% 

Gloves vtf to models Paying

Post New Thread Reply   

Hallucinogenic Troll
Old 09-08-2016 , 21:13   Re: Gloves vtf to models Paying
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
Gamebanana licence holds no ground as this is not 'stealing'.
Joining the server you provided the skins and models to me freely, allowing me to use it however I please. This license is to protect against people making money off of third-party games that are not counter-strike: global offensive.
I may be wrong but I don't think GameBanana has the right to claim creative commons especially on something used within another company's game.
EDIT: I also forgot about the legalities of using logos from companies such as Envyus, Faze, Fnatic, G2, IBP, Liquid, NaVi, NIP, SK and VP. So yeah, no need to talk about stealing here.
I deleted my reply before by mistake, sorry for that.
I only protest that because I made for my community and I get stabbed with this (without even a notice from the guy who uploaded and edited the files).
The licence was just a point that I had since I know this and respect that.
I think that what he did is scummy and discusting and my point may be wrong, but anyway, it's alliedmodders' credit to delete this post or just keep going.

Last edited by Hallucinogenic Troll; 09-08-2016 at 22:22.
lay295
Old 09-09-2016 , 01:00   Re: Gloves vtf to models Paying
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucinogenic Troll View Post
I deleted my reply before by mistake, sorry for that.
I only protest that because I made for my community and I get stabbed with this (without even a notice from the guy who uploaded and edited the files).
The licence was just a point that I had since I know this and respect that.
I think that what he did is scummy and discusting and my point may be wrong, but anyway, it's alliedmodders' credit to delete this post or just keep going.
I mean to be fair, anybody could have done it. All you have to do is decompile the original arm model and point the material the new one so... I was about to do it until I saw that somebody else did

sneaK
SourceMod Moderator
Old 09-09-2016 , 02:20   Re: Gloves vtf to models Paying
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lay295 View Post
I mean to be fair, anybody could have done it. All you have to do is decompile the original arm model and point the material the new one so... I was about to do it until I saw that somebody else did
That's exactly what I did for my servers... and I did it with only 6 files required to download per arm/glove (materials & models) instead of 10, like on Hallucinogenic's servers.

Yeah took some time but anyone can do it.

Edit: Also, Mitchell already pointed out the issue with the supposed "license" which is just simply this (as linked from the license section).

Spoiler

So pretty much whatever is said you are free to do and not free to do on gamebanana's website is moot.

Edit 2: Moved this thread to the appropriate section considering it is not a plugin idea nor request.

Last edited by sneaK; 09-09-2016 at 03:11.
weeeishy
Old 09-09-2016 , 07:28   Re: Gloves vtf to models Paying
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by erroler View Post
You could have just requested and we would have provided you with the gloves models and textures files.
Do you think it's ok to steal content from other gameservers and publish it online? You even hex edited the models files to replace our community name.
This is the 2nd thread I see about these gloves and you didn't help them out, so why wouldn't I post them? I'm pretty sure we would've not seen your comment if I didn't post the files. I also didn't steal your stuff since you've uploaded them to your public fastdl . Anyways, I've changed the files back to your community's name. If anyone interested, just hex-edit the files to a custom new name instead of ptfun.
Old 09-09-2016 , 09:32   Re: Gloves vtf to models Paying
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeeishy View Post
This is the 2nd thread I see about these gloves and you didn't help them out, so why wouldn't I post them? I'm pretty sure we would've not seen your comment if I didn't post the files.
We didn't share the files, we shared the method, which is more reliable for everyone who added us, since I only made some gloves and some people wanted others (for example, the HellRaisers one).

Quote:
I also didn't steal your stuff since you've uploaded them to your public fastdl
For me, at least, it's morally incorrect to do what you've done, but it's up to you.

Instead of changing with hex-editor, which can be buggy as f*ck (since it has a limit of characters in the paths), use the crowbar feature, decompile it, change the paths in the main qc file and the SMD reference file.
Then change the paths in VMTs and test on Model Viewer, which is located in CS:GO SDK.
Old 09-09-2016 , 12:22   Re: Gloves vtf to models Paying
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
This is the 2nd thread I see about these gloves and you didn't help them out, so why wouldn't I post them? I'm pretty sure we would've not seen your comment if I didn't post the files. I also didn't steal your stuff since you've uploaded them to your public fastdl . Anyways, I've changed the files back to your community's name. If anyone interested, just hex-edit the files to a custom new name instead of ptfun.
That seems reasonable. I wasn't aware there was another thread about this subject. I'm not the author of those gloves nor did I port them, they are not my work. Hallucinogenic Troll is a close friend and linked me to this thread otherwise I would have missed it for sure. I'm also an admin at the mentioned community as you can see by my avatar.
You're right about the stealing part, I should have chose my words more carefully. As unethical your actions may be, I guess they don't break any rules.

Last edited by erroler; 09-09-2016 at 12:24.
rootns
Old 09-09-2016 , 16:07   Re: Gloves vtf to models Paying
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinheadxtreme View Post
I need someone to compile all of these gloves to models http://gamebanana.com/skins/148125 if needed I can pay.
whatever you do,do NOT share those,I don't allow any re-upload...
skinheadxtreme
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-09-2016 , 16:08   Re: Gloves vtf to models Paying
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootns View Post
whatever you do,do NOT share those,I don't allow any re-upload...
Im not the one sharing or reuploading it im using it for private use.
rootns
Old 09-09-2016 , 16:18   Re: Gloves vtf to models Paying
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinheadxtreme View Post
Im not the one sharing or reuploading it im using it for private use.
I don't mean just yuo,I mean on all,I just quoted your post... I put a lot of work in those gloves,gave them for free... and if someone else wants to uplad them and claim the ownership,he's gonna fave some problem,you know...
sneaK
SourceMod Moderator
Old 09-09-2016 , 16:50   Re: Gloves vtf to models Paying
Reply With Quote #20

Alright, this whole thread has gotten out of hand.

rootns, you've made a very cool release here. Always enjoyed your work, between these and several of your 1.6 releases.

Note: I am not speaking under any sort of authority or legal knowledge in my post below.

To clear up a few things:

If anyone else is reuploading these for release elsewhere, and claiming ownership, that is simply wrong, no one can dispute this. Distributing these for commercial use (notice that I said distributing, not just re-distributing), is also wrong, and probably illegal. Nowhere has consent been given by these entities (Liquid, EnvyUs, ibuypower, etc) to use their logos for commercial purposes. Note that this includes making gloves a donor-only perk on game servers - essentially making users pay to use the gloves, that would probably be considered "commercial purposes".

There are several communities I've seen already using rootns's custom glove textures on their servers, making it available to all players for use. Now, saying that uploading these to a server for public use is "claiming ownership" is simply wrong. That's just like saying if I use a custom map released on gamebanana, upload it to my server, I now claim ownership of it. That's absolutely not true. Just read the very first line of the license - You are free to: Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format. With the way CS works, a sad fact of the matter is that a lot of these releases end up getting bastardized in one way or another - whether it be maps, textures, etc. "Hey, I got it from this server's fastdl when I went on their server, I don't know where it originally came from" is common to hear.

Mitchell made a very nice, down to earth, practical post above that's worth the read.

tl;dr - Using custom textures released freely is not against any given license, as long as proper credit is given.

Edit: rootns, my suggestion would be next time if you do not want a release of this nature being distributed by game servers to the public, then do not upload to gamebanana for public release. Unfortunately CS:GO isn't like CS:S or CS 1.6 where you can simply just replace your client files and be good to go.

Edit 2: Removed the link to the altered glove model files. We do not want anything posted in this forum that potentially violates certain licenses and/or copyrights. It's better off to keep AM neutral and not host such links.

Last edited by sneaK; 09-10-2016 at 01:44.