Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Team fortress 2 Custom map questions~

Post New Thread Reply   

ConkertheCat
Old 11-12-2011 , 13:31   Team fortress 2 Custom map questions~
Reply With Quote #1

Okay im running a tf2 server and i have heard things about problems with people not able to enter a server with custom maps since they dont have it unless you fork over money to some download site you must host or something along them lines.

Anyway I was wondering if i have a custom map (i downlaoded) for my server.....how can i set it up so others can enter it without getting the missing map error? is there a way to do this if the map is up on the net already? :S (without spending cash?)
Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 11-12-2011 , 15:53   Re: Team fortress 2 Custom map questions~
Reply With Quote #2

If you don't set sv_downloadurl, they'll just download the map from the server itself. The point of a fast download server is to reduce load on the game server itself, but custom maps will work fine (granted it'll take longer to download them and the server will experience some lag while downloads are happening).
Old 11-12-2011 , 16:09   Re: Team fortress 2 Custom map questions~
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
If you don't set sv_downloadurl, they'll just download the map from the server itself. The point of a fast download server is to reduce load on the game server itself, but custom maps will work fine (granted it'll take longer to download them and the server will experience some lag while downloads are happening).
Well you see i just heard a lot of false stores from people who want you to pay for servers and crap. Claiming its impossible unless you spent money. I was just trying to figure out a way without buying a bloody website for download and stuff like that. (the whole missing map error subject) :s

With that said....how should i attempt this? (if i got the map from a download site or something not a custom one made by me or isnt up for download on a local site) ?

Last edited by ConkertheCat; 11-12-2011 at 16:10.
Dr. McKay
Old 11-12-2011 , 16:28   Re: Team fortress 2 Custom map questions~
Reply With Quote #4

It doesn't matter, just leave sv_downloadurl blank as default and you won't have any map missing errors.
Old 11-12-2011 , 16:33   Re: Team fortress 2 Custom map questions~
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
It doesn't matter, just leave sv_downloadurl blank as default and you won't have any map missing errors.

okay but what sites does this go with? or was it just that....im not sure..... .... is it just sv_downalodurlhere ? ._. if so...what sites does that work with...i mean i know sites where you hit download button to download the map and all its just i never directly linked a download before >.<

also missing map for other players i meant :s

Last edited by ConkertheCat; 11-12-2011 at 16:33.
Dr. McKay
Old 11-12-2011 , 16:57   Re: Team fortress 2 Custom map questions~
Reply With Quote #6

If you don't set sv_downloadurl, the map will be downloaded to clients from your game server.
Old 11-12-2011 , 18:54   Re: Team fortress 2 Custom map questions~
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
If you don't set sv_downloadurl, the map will be downloaded to clients from your game server.
soo.....agh....soo i dont need some site to allow custom maps fore others to download? O.o
Dr. McKay
Old 11-12-2011 , 21:16   Re: Team fortress 2 Custom map questions~
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConkertheCat View Post
soo.....agh....soo i dont need some site to allow custom maps fore others to download? O.o
No.
Old 11-13-2011 , 01:57   Re: Team fortress 2 Custom map questions~
Reply With Quote #9

Make sure in your config it has sv_downloadurl ""

You don't need it set.
If it set to nothing the files will be downloaded from the server itself (as stated).
Make sure you have the correct files uploaded (e.g if you put a corrupted file or wrong map clients will get errors). Also be sure to have the files as .bsp don't bzip them as that will only work from web servers.
ConkertheCat
Old 11-13-2011 , 05:02   Re: Team fortress 2 Custom map questions~
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingftw View Post
Make sure in your config it has sv_downloadurl ""

You don't need it set.
If it set to nothing the files will be downloaded from the server itself (as stated).
Make sure you have the correct files uploaded (e.g if you put a corrupted file or wrong map clients will get errors). Also be sure to have the files as .bsp don't bzip them as that will only work from web servers.

Okay....just 1 last question....when i download the map ....what folder does it go in again?

does it go here? orangebox\tf\maps

also i only have 2 files the mapnamehere_b1.nav and mapnamehere_b1.bsp [] is that all i need?

Last edited by ConkertheCat; 11-13-2011 at 07:35.