Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[TF2] Mechanized Mercs Mod v1.6.6

Post New Thread Reply   

Jillchang
Old 01-30-2017 , 17:32   Re: [TF2] Mechanized Mercs Mod v1.2.0
Reply With Quote #21

can you add screenshots? would love to see how it looks.
Windroid
Old 01-31-2017 , 09:38   Re: [TF2] Mechanized Mercs Mod v1.2.0
Reply With Quote #22

This mode cause client to crash easily by "Out of memory or address space. Texture quality setting may be too high" error.

EDIT: Fixed by deleting the soundcache

Last edited by Windroid; 01-31-2017 at 13:19.
Jillchang
Old 01-31-2017 , 19:19   Re: [TF2] Mechanized Mercs Mod v1.2.0
Reply With Quote #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windroid View Post
This mode cause client to crash easily by "Out of memory or address space. Texture quality setting may be too high" error.

EDIT: Fixed by deleting the soundcache
You know what, can you let me know if it happens again for you. I had to disable all mods that precache sounds due to this bug.
For me and from couple of my players (reporting to me), we would eventually get the error again after deleting soundcache.

I think this is a big problem for many mods since most players would just not play the servermod not knowing what is causing them to crash. Even for me, I thought it was just cuz the mod was too ram intensive until I noticed the console spam and knew it was due to that since then.

Valve should seriously look into the console spam and find a way to disable it if it loops.
It's been a problem around before apparently, but after the smissmas update it started happening again to alot of people. I noticed this reported in couple of threads recently using custom sounds...
nergal
Veteran Member
Old 02-01-2017 , 02:29   Re: [TF2] Mechanized Mercs Mod v1.2.0
Reply With Quote #24

there, pics added
Old 02-01-2017 , 14:40   Re: [TF2] Mechanized Mercs Mod v1.2.0
Reply With Quote #25

As of 2/1/2017 (M/D/Y) current Source Lines of Code (SLOC): 5,423
from such a number, this is a medium-sized project.
Old 02-01-2017 , 15:48   Re: [TF2] Mechanized Mercs Mod v1.2.0
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nergal View Post
As of 2/1/2017 (M/D/Y) current Source Lines of Code (SLOC): 5,423
from such a number, this is a medium-sized project.
It's the sound.cache bug where it has to do with custom sounds. Seems like it happens to other mods as well, don't know what causes them.

Any chance to create a version that doesn't use custom sounds? Perhaps already installed stock tf2 sounds? That's what I did for some of my buggy plugins, and I didn't get the bug again.
nergal
Veteran Member
Old 02-01-2017 , 17:11   Re: [TF2] Mechanized Mercs Mod v1.2.0
Reply With Quote #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillchang View Post
It's the sound.cache bug where it has to do with custom sounds. Seems like it happens to other mods as well, don't know what causes them.

Any chance to create a version that doesn't use custom sounds? Perhaps already installed stock tf2 sounds? That's what I did for some of my buggy plugins, and I didn't get the bug again.
the mod requires custom sounds, the vehicular idle and movement sounds are needed. Then there's the shooting sounds and the honkable horns...

removing the sounds would neuter this mod. I refuse to downgrade my mod's quality because Valve refuses to fix an issue with their engine.
Old 02-01-2017 , 23:53   Re: [TF2] Mechanized Mercs Mod v1.2.0
Reply With Quote #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nergal View Post
the mod requires custom sounds, the vehicular idle and movement sounds are needed. Then there's the shooting sounds and the honkable horns...

removing the sounds would neuter this mod. I refuse to downgrade my mod's quality because Valve refuses to fix an issue with their engine.
Yea I understand how you put your time into it and you wouldn't want to see it changed.
Perhaps a convar for those who really want to use it without sound?
Hope valve fixes that issues btw.

Looking forward to trying it whenever I can get the sound issue fixed!

P.S. I wish this was made when I was running day of defeat source servers. I remember making an awful version using hammer entities and it still was awesome.
That game really wanted drivable tanks, especially for a game mod called "realism."
All in all, great idea.

Last edited by Jillchang; 02-01-2017 at 23:55.
Bjorngomes
Old 02-02-2017 , 16:02   Re: [TF2] Mechanized Mercs Mod v1.2.0
Reply With Quote #29

So.... i use this mod on my server using mode 3 (cuz its a fun server to screw around)

Is there a way add a few cvars to disable the Advertisements because i don't want this to be seen everytime

Also can you add a cvar that disables powerups to be replaced with vehicles.

with the 3rd mode, i think this is needed
nergal
Veteran Member
Old 02-02-2017 , 17:40   Re: [TF2] Mechanized Mercs Mod v1.2.0
Reply With Quote #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillchang View Post
Yea I understand how you put your time into it and you wouldn't want to see it changed.
Perhaps a convar for those who really want to use it without sound?
Hope valve fixes that issues btw.

Looking forward to trying it whenever I can get the sound issue fixed!

P.S. I wish this was made when I was running day of defeat source servers. I remember making an awful version using hammer entities and it still was awesome.
That game really wanted drivable tanks, especially for a game mod called "realism."
All in all, great idea.
it's not even that but removing the sounds would ruin the gimmick of this mod.

Without the driving, shooting, and horn sounds, how can you call this a vehicle mod in any sense?

Players that have no clue of plugins or modding would think "what the hell is this cheap mod?"

Could you possibly imagine VSH/FF2 or any other popular mod here without sounds? They wouldn't have that same "magic" to them.