Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Is There A Tut On Installing Plugins?

Post New Thread Reply   

ipwnedx
Old 10-20-2010 , 17:25   Is There A Tut On Installing Plugins?
Reply With Quote #1

Well im new to metamod and sourcemod and Allied Modders and i was wondering how do i install a plugin?
I know that you put the .smx file in the "Plugins" folder and the .sp files in the scripts folder but the plugins have convars and what do i do with the convars that they list in their plugin post? Like do i make a .cfg file or something?
Also where do i put the .txt files because some plugins have them.
Please help!
MjrNuT
SourceMod Donor
Old 10-20-2010 , 17:38   Re: Is There A Tut On Installing Plugins?
Reply With Quote #2

Look up at the STickies in this forum.

Hint: FAQ thread.
ipwnedx
Old 10-20-2010 , 17:53   Re: Is There A Tut On Installing Plugins?
Reply With Quote #3

Wheres that?
SuperShadow
SourceMod Donor
Old 10-20-2010 , 18:13   Re: Is There A Tut On Installing Plugins?
Reply With Quote #4

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=69092
ipwnedx
Old 10-20-2010 , 18:24   Re: Is There A Tut On Installing Plugins?
Reply With Quote #5

Where are the config files made?
MjrNuT
SourceMod Donor
Old 10-20-2010 , 20:03   Re: Is There A Tut On Installing Plugins?
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipwnedx View Post
Where are the config files made?
Various places as typically stated by the plugin author.
Snowden42
Old 10-20-2010 , 20:42   Re: Is There A Tut On Installing Plugins?
Reply With Quote #7

The configs are generated when the plugin is loaded. This occurs at two points, either when the server starts up or when the map changes.
boogaloo
Old 10-21-2010 , 02:42   Re: Is There A Tut On Installing Plugins?
Reply With Quote #8

There are only 2 places that i know of where config files are created for your plugins.

1) cstrike/cfg/sourcemod/
(sometimes there will be another directory inside the sourcemod folder for some plugins.)

2) cstrike/addons/sourcemod/configs/
(normally if there is any config file placed here by a plguin, it WILL have its own directory.)

as far as putting the .sp files into your scripts folder, i have never done this. ive only ever put the .smx files inside the plugins and that was it. as far as i know you dont need the .sp files, but dont listen to me on this because im not sure. I would like someone to clarify this for me too =)
Old 10-21-2010 , 07:05   Re: Is There A Tut On Installing Plugins?
Reply With Quote #9

.SP files are only needed to compile the .smx plugin files that are generally available in each post.
The .sp files are not needed unless you have no access to the .smx. If you cant generate an .smx file in the original post then you use the .sp file to compile the .smx yourself using sourcemod on your pc.

The .cfg files, as mentioned before, are auto-generated by the .smx file that goes into cstrike/addons/sourcemod/plugins/ directory on your server once you have rebooted and/or a map has changed. I have had to in the past, reboot then change a map manually. If you still cant see the .cfg file in the cstrike/cfg/sourcemod/ directory then try refresh the folder on your server it should show up.

There are rare occasions that the .cfg file will generate in the cstrike/addons/sourcemof/configs/ folder but very rarely and it should state so on the original plug post.

Some plugs dont generate a .cfg file so the poster shows you the cvars needed in the original plugin post. These cvars generally go into your cstrike/cfg/server.cfg file. Sometimes cvars go in the cstrike/cfg/autoexec.cfg file, for instance:

To stop hearing the sound "Fire In The Hole" every time someone throws a grenade you can place the following line in your cstrike/cfg/autoexec.cfg file:
sv_ignoregrenaderadio 1
Save it and you will no longer hear the sound in game, nor will other players. Cvars for this file are rarely needed if at all. autoexec.cfg can serve many purposes.

An example Plug-in
Advertisements 0.5.5

You generate the .smx file usually at the bottom of the first post.
This particular plugin generates a file in cstrike/addons/sourcemod/configs/ called advertisements.txt. That is the file you will add your advertisements in. BUT no .cfg file will be generated in the cstrike/cfg/sourcemod/ folder, the poster has specified cvars that will need to be added to your cstrike/cfg/server.cfg file as the poster has shown as follows:

sm_advertisements_enabled (0/1, def 1)
Enable/disable displaying advertisements.

sm_advertisements_file (def "advertisements.txt")
File to read the advertisements from. Useful if you're running multiple servers from one installation, and want to use different advertisements per server.

sm_advertisements_interval (def 30)
Amount of seconds between advertisements.

sm_advertisements_reload
Server command to reload the advertisements from advertisements.txt.

where he has placed explanations, if you want to put them in your server.cfg for a reminder sake, you will need to hash them out like this
// so as not to confuse your server.cfg
(This is how this plugin cvars should look in your server.cfg file after you place the above in it, cleaned it up and specified your needs/cfg)

============================================= ============

sm_advertisements_enabled 1
//Enable/disable displaying advertisements. (0/1, def 1)

sm_advertisements_file advertisements.txt
//File to read the advertisements from. Useful if you're running multiple servers from one installation, and want to use different advertisements per server.(def "advertisements.txt")

sm_advertisements_interval 40
//Amount of seconds between advertisements. (def 30)

sm_advertisements_reload 1
//Server command to reload the advertisements from advertisements.txt.

============================================= ============

A value of 1 is generally YES a value of 0 is generally NO

Where the poster has made note of:
Server command to reload the advertisements from advertisements.txt.
You will find this file as specified inside the cstrike/addons/sourcemod/configs/ folder. This would be the file you add the adverts you want people to see. If you follow the adds already in the file, you will understand how to add more. Just try the simple approach before you try adding colours etc. to the adverts. Get a feel for what you are doing.

.txt files.
It depends on what they are for.
Generally they are Translation files which go into /addons/sourcemod/translations/ but there are other purposes for .txt files and a poster generally lists which folders or they are generated and placed in to a folder by themselves.
Many posters zip a plugin in the same structure as your server structure so you can just drop it onto your server and reboot. BUT always check the structure so:
A. You know what you are uploading
B. you know that the structure is the same as what you are uploading to.
Inspect the contents of a zip and read each file if you can to learn. Most files can be opened with notepad. (right click on file "open With")

A word on boredom:
As frustrating as it gets you should really read every post in a thread to familiarize yourself with common issues, updates and general how to ideas. This will cause bleeding from the eyeballs and a general wanting to slash your wrists in most cases but is very beneficial to your learning process.

A word on Rage Quitting & Self Righteous Pricks:
There are some pricks in here who will insult you for not being as experienced or not quite as smart as others. Regardless, asking questions in the original thread will help you and others that need to know what you do. If you follow the rule of searching and reading first to the best of your ability before you ask you will attract fewer self righteous wankers to your attention.

That's all I have time to show you for now Grasshopper.

Last edited by sinblaster; 10-21-2010 at 20:15.
Snowden42
Old 10-21-2010 , 15:13   Re: Is There A Tut On Installing Plugins?
Reply With Quote #10

Tell me you copy pasted that. You might as well make that a new thread! Very informative, I'm sure many people'd find that post useful.