Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Server Connection Timing Out

Post New Thread Reply   

larrybrains
Old 10-07-2019 , 20:50   Server Connection Timing Out
Reply With Quote #1

I have an L4D2 Realism server running SirPlease's Competitive Rework.

A couple weeks ago, my server started randomly disconnecting everyone on the server midgame. Sometimes we can get through a whole game without it happening, sometimes it happens right away, and sometimes it takes 30 or 40 mins or so, but it is seemingly random with no association to any specific event.

Everyone will just get disconnected with the auto-retry message with nothing in console other than "connection to server time out". This will occur with both a config like zonemod running, and without any configs running. It will also happen with just me on the server.

After everyone gets disconnected, it is almost as if the server is restarted, as it goes back to the map that is set in the startup and you can join the server again.

Some things I have done:
  • I installed Accelerator and turned on logging and debugging, but nothing comes up in any of the logs and I know that they are working because if I deliberately crash the server by removing a core file, the logs are populated with errors.
  • I have ran confogl debugging and it doesn't seem like any of the confogl debug info points to a specific issue.
  • I have also contacted NFO Servers support and they said there is no activity or logs on their end that would cause time-outs and they can't really help otherwise.
  • Tried reinstalling sourcemod core files & plugins and it still does it.

So anyway, I am hoping that someone can help me with trying to troubleshoot this issue, because I am basically out of ideas.
TomL.
Veteran Member
Old 10-08-2019 , 03:24   Re: Server Connection Timing Out
Reply With Quote #2

Feel free to send me your steam profile link or any other contact details and I will investigate the problem with you.
larrybrains
Old 10-08-2019 , 15:24   Re: Server Connection Timing Out
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomL. View Post
Feel free to send me your steam profile link or any other contact details and I will investigate the problem with you.
Awesome thanks! I am going to try one last thing later today after work.

I plan to do a backup and then install the latest stable version of Sourcemod without any of the extra competitive config stuff. Basically I want to see if it still times out on a fresh Sourcemod install without mods.

If it is still timing out after that, I will definitely take you up on that offer, thanks.
larrybrains
Old 10-09-2019 , 20:16   Re: Server Connection Timing Out
Reply With Quote #4

Alright, so some more info on this. I installed fresh Sourcemod version 1.9.0 build 6282 and the issue is still happening.

I have been noticing some people on various forums recommending Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit for the OS that is most compatible with recent versions of Sourcemod. I am currently running Debian 10 Buster x64.

Should I switch to Ubuntu?
TomL.
Veteran Member
Old 10-10-2019 , 04:04   Re: Server Connection Timing Out
Reply With Quote #5

Well, Ubuntu is based on Debian so it won't really make a difference.
larrybrains
Old 10-21-2019 , 16:49   Re: Server Connection Timing Out
Reply With Quote #6

btw, tracked this down to being a network issue. Moved the server from NFO's Chicago location to their Seattle location and it stopped timing out.