Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Knife distance not accurate

Post New Thread Reply   

gil5587
Old 08-19-2018 , 08:01   Knife distance not accurate
Reply With Quote #1

Hi guys,

The knife distance on my server is not that accurate...
Like it can show 46 units, but it felt like only 30+-
it also hard to headshot the enemy.. sometimes it does hs, sometimes it doesn't (hitbox)

if someone has a solution, I would like to hear.
thx
Visinescu
Old 09-01-2018 , 00:18   Re: Knife distance not accurate
Reply With Quote #2

The distance will always feel different to the actual units, it all changes with monitor resolution, aspect ratio and at the angle you are stabbing/slashing.

depends on the plugin you are using tho, if you're using "Knife Distance by SchlumPF" then everything should be as accurate as possible .
klippy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-01-2018 , 03:25   Re: Knife distance not accurate
Reply With Quote #3

Did you say it feels different on different resolutions and aspect ratios, or is it calculated differently at those?
Old 09-01-2018 , 17:24   Re: Knife distance not accurate
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KliPPy View Post
Did you say it feels different on different resolutions and aspect ratios, or is it calculated differently at those?
On certain resolutions the players may or may not seem closer or farther away from the "usual" distance you might be used to. I've been a very hardcore knifer since 2004 and i've experimented with a lot of things to get an advancement over my enemies.

For example, I've found out that ex_interp 0.01, cl_lc 0, rate 100000, fps_max 300 and the resolution 1024x768 to be the best. but like anything else, this could just be my preference.

TL;DR - resolutions change the "feel" the most, and the units "may" change when you are hitting the chest, head or arms.
The engine is old and not made for precise stuff, but knifing has been the most consistent thing.
gil5587
Old 09-05-2018 , 19:03   Re: Knife distance not accurate
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visinescu View Post
On certain resolutions the players may or may not seem closer or farther away from the "usual" distance you might be used to. I've been a very hardcore knifer since 2004 and i've experimented with a lot of things to get an advancement over my enemies.

For example, I've found out that ex_interp 0.01, cl_lc 0, rate 100000, fps_max 300 and the resolution 1024x768 to be the best. but like anything else, this could just be my preference.

TL;DR - resolutions change the "feel" the most, and the units "may" change when you are hitting the chest, head or arms.
The engine is old and not made for precise stuff, but knifing has been the most consistent thing.
hmm but I don't mean the feeling of it, like if it shows 40 units, while it felt like 10...
I mean that it really difference between my server and others...
I don't know how to explain..hahhaha
what can affect it on a server?
there are rates/commands in server.cfg for example that can cause it?
Visinescu
Old 09-06-2018 , 02:26   Re: Knife distance not accurate
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil5587 View Post
hmm but I don't mean the feeling of it, like if it shows 40 units, while it felt like 10...
I mean that it really difference between my server and others...
I don't know how to explain..hahhaha
what can affect it on a server?
there are rates/commands in server.cfg for example that can cause it?
Lag and latency/ping does cause problems if it's really bad, for example if you have ping 70-80 and your enemy has 5-8 then it will always feel like your opponent has some kind distance hack over you.

I used to have a very popular knife server back in the day , always had 24/32 players on it with dproto but I've come across a bunch of hackers and exploitheads coming after my server just because 1 guy kicked their butt, so since then I've just given on non-steam, i was still getting 10+ players tho.

I'm getting offtopic, here are a few of my server settings that i can remember of the top of my head.
Code:
sv_minrate "25000"
sv_maxrate "100000"
sv_unlag "1"
fps_max "330"
sys_ticrate "330"
sv_airaccelerate "100"
And the rest i can't even remember, also lag/ping can be because of a lot of plugins and resources or even the host itself having bad performance.