Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Metamod not loading on my TF2 dedicated server

Post New Thread Reply   

Dr. Jekyll
Old 09-18-2015 , 04:44   Metamod not loading on my TF2 dedicated server
Reply With Quote #1

Hi,

I cannot seem to get metamod to run on my TF2 server. I've installed the dedicated server correctly (it runs and I can join it, although it can't be joined through it's public IP by myself or my friends). I downloaded the latest version and extracted it to C:\hlserver\tf2 and it shows up in the addons, with all the appropriate files.

But when I start the server and type "meta version" into the server console, it says Unknown Command "meta". I tried replacing the vdf file with one customized for TF2 (from the metamod site), but that didn't help. I've also tried updating the server with the "steamcmd.exe" tool, which tells me that the game is already updated.

I followed the instructions on installing metamod from this page very carefully.

I'm guessing there is something very simple that I'm not doing right, but I can't figure out what it is. Any suggestions?
ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 09-18-2015 , 06:33   Re: Metamod not loading on my TF2 dedicated server
Reply With Quote #2

When you say "latest version," what exact version number do you mean? What is the filename of the archive you are extracting files from?
Old 09-18-2015 , 21:02   Re: Metamod not loading on my TF2 dedicated server
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhoward View Post
When you say "latest version," what exact version number do you mean? What is the filename of the archive you are extracting files from?
I installed 1.10.6

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the filename of the archive I am extracting from. I downloaded the one from Atlanta, GA from this page. In my downloads folder, the file is called "mmsource-1.10.6-windows (1).zip".

I extracted that zip file to my game folder, which is c:\hlserver\tf2

Last edited by Dr. Jekyll; 09-18-2015 at 21:10.
Dr. Jekyll
Old 09-18-2015 , 22:03   Re: Metamod not loading on my TF2 dedicated server
Reply With Quote #4

Ok, I figured it out. I extracted the zipped files to the wrong folder. I extracted it to c:\hlserver\TF2 instead of c:\hlserver\TF2\tf.

The instructions for installation on this page are a little confusing. They tell you to extract the mod to your game folder, which would imply TF2.

The instructions for installing Sourcemod are much better because they have a section for finding your root folder. Maybe that section should be copied and pasted into the metamod installation guide.

Last edited by Dr. Jekyll; 09-18-2015 at 22:05.
WildCard65
Veteran Member
Old 09-19-2015 , 07:08   Re: Metamod not loading on my TF2 dedicated server
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post
Ok, I figured it out. I extracted the zipped files to the wrong folder. I extracted it to c:\hlserver\TF2 instead of c:\hlserver\TF2\tf.

The instructions for installation on this page are a little confusing. They tell you to extract the mod to your game folder, which would imply TF2.

The instructions for installing Sourcemod are much better because they have a section for finding your root folder. Maybe that section should be copied and pasted into the metamod installation guide.
The game folder is the sub folder in the folder that srcds resides in.
For TF2, the game folder is the tf folder in folder that srcds is in.