Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

External hard drive?

Post New Thread Reply   

oneofthedragon
Old 02-19-2007 , 02:11   External hard drive?
Reply With Quote #1

I'm thinking about getting a 1tb+ external hard drive and I have a few questions if anyone knows...
First of all, can I use it as my hard drive, as in save and execute files from it? Or is it primarily for backup/storage? Or does it simply depend on the type/size/brand?

Can it have internet access given the correct permissions, is corrected ect?

Is there any reason using it as my primary hard drive? Or is it not worth it for some reason?
Thanks!
Old 02-19-2007 , 02:51   Re: External hard drive?
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofthedragon View Post
First of all, can I use it as my hard drive, as in save and execute files from it? Or is it primarily for backup/storage?
If it's a hard drive, it's a hard drive.

Quote:
Can it have internet access given the correct permissions, is corrected ect?
Do you mean you want shared network access? You can either share it from your computer, or get a network fileserver, something like this or this.

Quote:
Is there any reason using it as my primary hard drive? Or is it not worth it for some reason?
Depending on the speed of the interface, this would be a bad idea. The answer to this question also depends on whether or not it can be detected at boot (as opposed to it being loaded specially once Windows boots, in which case you could not boot from it).
oneofthedragon
Old 02-19-2007 , 03:00   Re: External hard drive?
Reply With Quote #3

Thank you, I wanted to make sure that windows would allow me to this, and not waste 500-700 dollars on a large backup for my computer. As for the internet, I mean if a program on the external hardrive, and it needs to access the internet, is it able to, as long as the computer it is connected to is able to, not using it as a server. I would guess yes but just to be sure. And as for my "primary" hard disk, i mean for all non-vital/basic system functions, so windows, a web browser, anti-virus, ect. on my actual computer, the rest is on my external. I really didn't expect to be able to boot from it, anyway. If anything it may house backups of the system files.
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 02-19-2007 , 14:48   Re: External hard drive?
Reply With Quote #4

Just keep in mind, external hard drives have a higher failure rate... mine actually died last week.

And it's kinda slow to boot an operating system off of it if you intend on trying that.
Veteran Member
Old 02-19-2007 , 23:50   Re: External hard drive?
Reply With Quote #5

I don't understand what you mean by it having internet access. If its a hard drive connected to your computer, the computer will run programs off it and the computer has access to the internet. The hard drive (unless its a network drive) does not have an OS.

You could run programs off the drive, but chances are that would be slower. It makes more sense to use a drive for file storage. (I have a couple 300GB drives for video storage)

Don't run an OS off an external drive. I believe an OS requires complete access to the drive, and this is not always the case with external drives.

Also, I don't know why you'd use a drive for a backup of system files when you can simply put the XP CD into the drive and run a repair. You are better off saving documents incase a hard drive fails or you get a virus.
Skissors
Old 02-20-2007 , 14:14   Re: External hard drive?
Reply With Quote #6

cybermind - is that the zerg eye person from starcraft?

IM BACK
oneofthedragon
Old 02-20-2007 , 21:01   Re: External hard drive?
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
I don't understand what you mean by it having internet access. If its a hard drive connected to your computer, the computer will run programs off it and the computer has access to the internet. The hard drive (unless its a network drive) does not have an OS.

You could run programs off the drive, but chances are that would be slower. It makes more sense to use a drive for file storage. (I have a couple 300GB drives for video storage)

Don't run an OS off an external drive. I believe an OS requires complete access to the drive, and this is not always the case with external drives.

Also, I don't know why you'd use a drive for a backup of system files when you can simply put the XP CD into the drive and run a repair. You are better off saving documents incase a hard drive fails or you get a virus.
Most of this was I thought, and I just wanted to makes sure. I have no experience with removable drives except for loadings some documents and other media onto a flash drive I would never run the OS off the removable drive, and I would rather have a file backup rather than the cd just because I don't like having to manage CDs.
bad
Old 02-20-2007 , 21:32   Re: External hard drive?
Reply With Quote #8

I'd buy in incriments between 300 and 500 for maximium dollar to byte amount.
Old 02-21-2007 , 07:10   Re: External hard drive?
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skissors View Post
cybermind - is that the zerg eye person from starcraft?
Yes