Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Force usage of FastDL on hlds possible?

Post New Thread Reply   

DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 03-27-2017 , 16:05   Re: Force usage of FastDL on hlds possible?
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider View Post
Before you ask. I'm also using a FastDL server on my TF2 server which is working just fine. But using HLDS, it appears to have some issues.

I was wondering if anyone else is having issues with FastDL on HLDS.
hlds games uses gzip (.gz) files for compression, where srcds-based games uses bzip2 (.bz2) compression if you want to compress your data on the fastdl server.

I haven't heard of anyone on hlds using bzip2, nor that if any games there should have been updated to support bzip2.

Quote:
The TF2 FastDL is working just fine without any problems. Thus far can't find any logs to why it's not using the fastdl url.
Did you check the web server's access logs, to see if there are any connections that way at all?

Could it be that you have compressed hlds data with bzip2, and not kept the original uncompressed file?

As such, clients will attempt to download "whatever.bsp.gz" first, then "whatever.bsp", and if you only have "whatever.bsp.bz2", it will (of course!) fail.

Just a thought, since you indicate that you have absolutely no issues on TF2.

Also, as others have already mentioned: sv_allowupload / sv_allowdownload has nothing to do with sv_downloadurl. If sv_downloadurl is set (and works), people will download from that one, even if sv_allowdownload is 0. sv_allow(upload|download) 0 would disable custom spray logos though.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
JusTGo
Veteran Member
Old 03-27-2017 , 16:22   Re: Force usage of FastDL on hlds possible?
Reply With Quote #12

afaik hlds doesn't support gzip.
Old 04-04-2017 , 08:38   Re: Force usage of FastDL on hlds possible?
Reply With Quote #13

Indeed you guys were right.. I made a mistake by using *.BZ2 files, rather than *.GZ files.. Thanks! Once I corrected that, relaunched the server with sv_allowdownload set to 0, everything works fine .
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 04-21-2017 , 16:27   Re: Force usage of FastDL on hlds possible?
Reply With Quote #14

Some strange things are happening, maybe someone is experienced with it.

First, the above post I made is incorrect. The FastDL server is working perfectly if original files are uploaded (eg, bsp, mdl, etc). But once I only upload the GZ files, client is refusing to download it. Not sure why it's having issues with compressed files.

Secondly. Client doesn't appear to download 'all' files from FastDL. It mostly downloads from the FastDL, but there are some third party files (example, skybox file) where it's attempting to grab from the server instead. Is there anywhere I have to add a file that should have all the fastdl files included?

Regards,
Skyrider

Last edited by Skyrider; 04-21-2017 at 16:29.
Send a message via AIM to Skyrider Send a message via MSN to Skyrider Send a message via Yahoo to Skyrider
gabuch2
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-21-2017 , 16:43   Re: Force usage of FastDL on hlds possible?
Reply With Quote #15

developer 2

And then try to connect to the server, post the console output here.
Old 04-22-2017 , 09:25   Re: Force usage of FastDL on hlds possible?
Reply With Quote #16

afaik to serve precompressed files on fastdl, you have to configure your server to do so, as the client won't ask for file.ext.gz, only file.ext
There are modules for serving static gzipped content that may help you, and even caching modules that will cache the compressed response and serve the cached one later, just search one for your webserver and there is lots of content on how to implement it.

btw, there is a new cvar (from ~2011) to disable serving files from hlds: "sv_allow_dlfile".
Set it to 0 to force downloads via fastdl.
R4to0.exe
Old 06-19-2017 , 00:54   Re: Force usage of FastDL on hlds possible?
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Secondly. Client doesn't appear to download 'all' files from FastDL. It mostly downloads from the FastDL, but there are some third party files (example, skybox file) where it's attempting to grab from the server instead. Is there anywhere I have to add a file that should have all the fastdl files included?

Regards,
Skyrider
If your FastDL webserver is on a Linux OS, make sure the filename matches the one is in mapname.res file (uppercase/lowercase), *nix systems are case sensitive and they differs.

For a GZIP setup, you have to setup your webserver to do the proper processing. In case you need, you can check my guide on GitHub. Two of my friends already did the setup and both reported working. Let me know if that works for you

Last edited by R4to0.exe; 06-19-2017 at 00:56. Reason: i know, two months old thread :(
Send a message via MSN to R4to0.exe Send a message via Skype™ to R4to0.exe