Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Engine Bug: "Physical Mayhem" Discussion

Post New Thread Reply   

TESLA-X4
Old 08-08-2009 , 11:36   Engine Bug: "Physical Mayhem" Discussion
Reply With Quote #1

The bouncing props bug (aka the Physical Mayhem bug) lies inside the game engine, so it probably can't be fixed. It's caused when one of two (or more) overlapping objects in different collision groups is destroyed, which leads to vphysics going crazy. I think it's fixed in the OB engine though, but EP1 games are probably out of luck.
Greyscale
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 08-08-2009 , 15:22   Re: Release: Zombie:Reloaded 3.0 Beta 1
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikar View Post
hello i m Zombie:Reloaded 3.0 Beta 1 and sourcemod 1.2.1 / linux
The latest errors are from 07/12/2009. The beta wasn't out by then, you are still running 2.5. damagecontrol.inc only existed in 2.5, not 3.0.

Quote:
The bouncing props bug (aka the Physical Mayhem bug) lies inside the game engine, so it probably can't be fixed. It's caused when one of two (or more) overlapping objects in different collision groups is destroyed, which leads to vphysics going crazy. I think it's fixed in the OB engine though, but EP1 games are probably out of luck.
Hm, thank you for that information. May be helpful. But how would this be caused when only player's collision groups are being changed?
Old 08-08-2009 , 23:09   Re: Release: Zombie:Reloaded 3.0 Beta 1
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
Hm, thank you for that information. May be helpful. But how would this be caused when only player's collision groups are being changed?
Actually, it's not just caused exclusively when players' collision groups are changed - cs_office in CS:S and dm_steamlab in HL2DM have been known to cause the bug to surface.
These two threads might be useful: http://www.mail-archive.com/hlcoders.../msg16337.html and http://www.mail-archive.com/hlcoders.../msg15827.html
I've been trying to make an anti-stuck plugin myself, but it occasionally causes the Physical Mayhem bug to surface, and it's annoying, to say the least.
-sang-
BANNED
Old 08-09-2009 , 01:35   Re: Release: Zombie:Reloaded 3.0 Beta 1
Reply With Quote #4

If you have problems with physics:
sv_turbophysics 1
Greyscale
Old 08-09-2009 , 16:07   Re: Release: Zombie:Reloaded 3.0 Beta 1
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESLA-X4 View Post
Actually, it's not just caused exclusively when players' collision groups are changed - cs_office in CS:S and dm_steamlab in HL2DM have been known to cause the bug to surface.
These two threads might be useful: http://www.mail-archive.com/hlcoders.../msg16337.html and http://www.mail-archive.com/hlcoders.../msg15827.html
I've been trying to make an anti-stuck plugin myself, but it occasionally causes the Physical Mayhem bug to surface, and it's annoying, to say the least.
Yes, but I don't touch collision properties of other entities. You stated that the bug occurs when you change collision properties of intersecting entities. The bug is extremely rare in CS:S, on a vanilla server. But with antistick it's very common on some servers. It happens when two players collide, no other physics entities involved. Unless colliding with an invisible entity such as func_buyzone or similar triggers it, although I would think this is unlikely because brush entities don't have physics.
Old 08-09-2009 , 20:05   Re: Release: Zombie:Reloaded 3.0 Beta 1
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by -sang- View Post
If you have problems with physics:
sv_turbophysics 1
Doesn't help at all, for the record.
TESLA-X4
Old 08-10-2009 , 02:10   Re: Release: Zombie:Reloaded 3.0 Beta 1
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
The bug is extremely rare in CS:S, on a vanilla server. But with antistick it's very common on some servers. It happens when two players collide, no other physics entities involved.
Yeah, that's what I found as well. However, I stumbled upon another way to trigger it that day with a gib plugin. I set the gibs' collision group to debris and added a timer to clean them up. I made the plugin spam the gibs (and remove them) just to see if anything would happen, and bam - Physical Mayhem bug. I retried it a few times to find out exactly when it was causing the bug, and it turned out that spamming the gibs was fine (they were no-colliding with each other and myself as expected), but the moment the overlapping gibs got getting deleted, vphysics started throwing a fit.
Greyscale
Old 08-10-2009 , 02:14   Re: Engine Bug: "Physical Mayhem" Discussion
Reply With Quote #8

Maybe maps use this debris collision group on certain unseen entities. On the contrary our server has a wide selection of maps and we've never seen it. We run ZR 3.0 and sv_turbophysics 1. Has never happened.
Old 08-10-2009 , 02:53   Re: Release: Zombie:Reloaded 3.0 Beta 1
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Echo View Post
Doesn't help at all, for the record.
And where you have written "sv_turbophysics 1"?

If you have written it for each map in "cstrike/maps/cfg/mapname.cfg"

comment a line in "zombiereloaded.cfg"
Quote:
// Allows players to move items with their 'use' key.
// Default: "1"
//sv_turbophysics 0
And add this line in your "server.cfg".
rhelgeby
Veteran Member
Old 08-10-2009 , 12:43   Re: Engine Bug: "Physical Mayhem" Discussion
Reply With Quote #10

He mean that turbophysics isn't related to this problem. Servers with and without it, doesn't matter.

Zombie:Reloaded | PawnUnit | Object Library
(Please don't send private messages for support, they will be ignored. Use the forum.)
Send a message via MSN to rhelgeby