Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Help! From where do I begin learning programming for games??

Post New Thread Reply   

Expressions_Galore
Old 12-11-2011 , 23:12   Help! From where do I begin learning programming for games??
Reply With Quote #1

Hi,

This is probably my first post here at Allied Modders. But I hope to be a regular poster here from now on..

Actually I am very much interested in game developement. So what can be a better place to start if not writing mods. I am an avid fan for both CS and CS:S and wanted to begin writing mods for the same. But the problem is I don't know how to begin.

I have the knowledge of C, C++ and Java as far as programming languages are concerned. I've heard that most of the game programming is carried out in C. So how do I start?

Your inputs will be very valuable for me. Waiting for your replies.

Regards,
Arun
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 12-12-2011 , 00:56   Re: Help! From where do I begin learning programming for games??
Reply With Quote #2

We don't really "program games" here. We just write relatively small modification plugins. This particular section is only for Half-Life 1 mods (Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, etc.).

Below (on the main page) there is a section for Half-Life 2 (Source) mods (CS:S, DOD:S, etc).

What exactly are you wanting to do?

P.S. If you are looking to write some plugins for CS or DOD (or CS:S or DOD:S) the first advice you will get it to learn to Search. I figured I'd say it now so you don't get surprised when you see it the next time you ask "how do I start writing plugins".

Last edited by fysiks; 12-12-2011 at 00:58.
Expressions_Galore
Old 12-12-2011 , 01:52   Re: Help! From where do I begin learning programming for games??
Reply With Quote #3

Yeah I understand what you are saying. I'll search the forum. There are some stickeys I can see, but I just wanted to know How do I start from the absolute beginning?

I am interested in game programming but I want to start by writing small mods as I cannot hope to write a full fledged game in the first go. So if there is a thread which explains how to start writing mods to a beginner, please do provide the link to it. Also if there's a way I can be part of a project and learn from the team members it would be great! I know I'm asking for a lot, but it not bad to have hopes right?

And thanks for such a quick reply!

Regards,
Arun
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 12-12-2011 , 13:03   Re: Help! From where do I begin learning programming for games??
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expressions_Galore View Post
but I just wanted to know How do I start from the absolute beginning?
I am interested in game programming but I want to start by writing small mods as I cannot hope to write a full fledged game in the first go. So if there is a thread which explains how to start writing mods to a beginner, please do provide the link to it.
Not to be mean or anything but you kind of answered you own question:
Quote:
There are some stickeys I can see
Also: http://wiki.amxmodx.org/
Plus, if you have as much experience programming as you claim then you should already know that studying existing code is an extremely valuable source of information.
Note: The programming language we use for plugins is called Pawn. Modules are written in C++ as is MetaMod and AMX Mod X, see the modules section.

Quote:
Quote:
Also if there's a way I can be part of a project and learn from the team members it would be great! I know I'm asking for a lot, but it not bad to have hopes right?
It's probably unlikely to get on a dev team because 1) There are very few current projects (that we know of) in HL1 scripting and 2) They are usually a small close knit group of people that have shown to eachother that they know plugin scripting well.