Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

How do you replace the default MOTD w/one displayed by a plugin?

Post New Thread Reply   

Geesu
Veteran Member
Old 01-23-2007 , 04:31   How do you replace the default MOTD w/one displayed by a plugin?
Reply With Quote #1

As the title states...

I don't need code, was just wondering what the logic behind it is. I know how to display MOTDs and such.

TY!
Josh
L. Duke
Veteran Member
Old 01-23-2007 , 11:58   Re: How do you replace the default MOTD w/one displayed by a plugin?
Reply With Quote #2

The easiest way would probably be to just change the "motd" string in the InfoPanel string table.

I assume you want to change the client command that is sent also though. I've had a number of requests for changing the default MOTD and adding a "connect x.x.x.x:27016" client command for redirect. Someone has done it, but not released it publicly. I assume if this becomes a common usage that Valve will block it like they did the cl_restrict_server_commands cvar in an MOTD client command.

I'm not sure how it was done. It's possible you could hook CCSPlayer::ShowViewPortPanel(char const*, bool, KeyValues*) and determine if it was the MOTD or not (if there is a "type" key set to TYPE_INDEX then it would be a MOTD window from either the game or a plugin).

Another method might be to hook the engine's UserMessageBegin and MessageEnd and parse the bf_write for any ""VGUIMenu" messages to see if it is an MOTD or not, and if so if the stringtable it is showing is "motd" but this is a little more complicated.
opi123
Old 01-24-2007 , 00:13   Re: How do you replace the default MOTD w/one displayed by a plugin?
Reply With Quote #3

Duke... lol
opi123
Old 01-24-2007 , 00:15   Re: How do you replace the default MOTD w/one displayed by a plugin?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
I assume you want to change the client command that is sent also though. I've had a number of requests for changing the default MOTD and adding a "connect x.x.x.x:27016" client command for redirect. Someone has done it, but not released it publicly. I assume if this becomes a common usage that Valve will block it like they did the cl_restrict_server_commands cvar in an MOTD client command.
that's interesting
xXxcon
Old 01-29-2007 , 13:14   Re: How do you replace the default MOTD w/one displayed by a plugin?
Reply With Quote #5

so duke are you saying your cl_restrict_server program is not working?

i have found a redirector that is working at

72.91.27.75:28028 RN: Memorial Hospital
and it appears to use your motd cl_restrict prograsm, but i cannot seem to get it to work
Veteran Member
Old 01-29-2007 , 13:23   Re: How do you replace the default MOTD w/one displayed by a plugin?
Reply With Quote #6

They probably used the same method, maybe even my source code, and changed the part that used to reset the cl_restrict cvar to a "connect x.x.x.x" command.

I wouldn't get too excited about being able to redirect in this fashion. Valve is aware that this is being done, and I would bet money that they will be blocking it in a future update.