Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

VB or EXE

Post New Thread Reply   

BAILOPAN
Old 11-10-2004 , 15:02  
Reply With Quote #21

Source is in CVS, according to your above rants you should have gone and compiled it by now. Then you would know.
imported_malex
Old 11-10-2004 , 16:38  
Reply With Quote #22

I don't use the installer, therefore I don't need to compile it. See how that works out?

\malex\
BAILOPAN
Old 11-10-2004 , 16:41  
Reply With Quote #23

Apparently you did use it if you were asking about it
Sveach
Old 11-10-2004 , 17:38  
Reply With Quote #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN
Admin-Mod does not have a perl installer ;]

SourceMod will definitely have some sort of installer eventually, kind of like the one you will see for AMX Mod X in a few days. Written in a VB/NSIS combo.
It USED to tho....back in 1.5 when i started playing, it did. .pl files.
Send a message via AIM to Sveach Send a message via MSN to Sveach
devicenull
Veteran Member
Old 11-10-2004 , 18:28  
Reply With Quote #25

Seriously, going by AmxX, how hard is it to edit liblist.gam and extract some zip files?
Maybe edit a config file? SM will have no config files.. sooo.. nothing to install. I would think out of the box(or zip) would run correctly.. then login to the config interface, and edit stuff?

I'm partially agreeing with malex here, how many server admins can't edit config files? I managed to install amx with no manual or help.. just by playing with things until it worked. There's nothing difficult that needs an installer, as of right now, to install amxx you extract it and metamod, and edit liblist.gam

How hard is that?
Old 11-10-2004 , 22:09  
Reply With Quote #26

technicly you dont even have to edit liblist.gam if your scared of it, just right click on dedicated server properties, and then launch options, or just make a shortcut, then add in -dll /addons/metamod/dlls/metamod.dll (or whatever you want)

also, i wouldnt mind an installer, mainly because im one of the lazyest persons you will meet (i yelled for my mom to turn on the light that was 1 foot behind me, when she was on the otherside of the house once)
SourceMod Donor
Old 11-13-2004 , 17:22  
Reply With Quote #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMind
I also think (prepared for the rants) to provide ReadMe's and other descriptive files in .rtf or .pdf format, rather than .txt format.
When I would maked the doc for AMX Mod X, I would do it in TXT format, and tab it for when I wanted to do things like list, quote, ect. While I would much better just want to do a stright HTM file, so I could embed the images myself. When I do any guide, I normal right it up, then take pics of the steps that I go thought. I think that a stright out HTM format will help the development time for the documentation. AMXx had it set up where I would make it only in TXT then SB would have to put it into HTML for me, I dont like that al all. I should be doing it in HTML, and I alone, then it should continue in that format.
Old 11-13-2004 , 18:32   Installers is not for n00bs
Reply With Quote #28

malex: You are clearly wrong in some of the ideas you are having. An installer is definetly not for "lesser" admins. Look at debian/RedHat/Fedora and all the other distributions of Linux (except possibly slackware which idea is to deliver in tarballs) and see that they use installers to make an installation more effective. When you have installed something alot you will also understand that a installation procedure is the only way to go.

I will make an rpm installation of the Source Mod and I will never use anyting else. It is definetly easier to make an rpm for something than have to redo the fiddeling on the next machine and the next... and the next...

When it is installed and works then you could go tinker and break it

And I'm realy sorry for the Windows Admins out there that doesn't have the rpm option available to them.
imported_malex
Old 11-13-2004 , 21:13  
Reply With Quote #29

Of course you should automate installation if you'll be installing the same package on multiple systems, and I said as much upthread. If you do have multiple machines on which to install SourceMod, I sincerely doubt you'd use the provided installer. You are much more likely to create your own package, be it a .deb or a .rpm or a shellscript, that's preconfigured to your environment, and uses the proper defaults so you don't have to go to each machine to change the server name or something else.

I have some experience with .debs and .rpms and .tars. A point of note, Slackware .tar.gzs are not just tarballs, they do have metadata describing the package and install scripts, and are installed/removed with tools other than tar usually. I have installed software from packages and I have installed software from source. It's not much different, other than the time it takes to compile it. With the requirements to run the gameserver itself, even that time is trivial.

The biggest win for a source-only distribution will be the reduced support cost, since fewer stupid people will attempt to install it, and most questions of those that do can be trivially referred to the requirement docs and various system/compiler docs.

\malex\
Dygear
SourceMod Donor
Old 11-14-2004 , 19:49  
Reply With Quote #30

Now I am not like goodly with Linux, but I do know my way around the console. I think that shellscript would be the end all awanser to this, from what I know, shellscripts are universal. (Please correct me if I am wrong, as I have only used 3 distros of Linux: Mandrake (Good, but missing afew things that I really needed), Knoppix (Love the Linux Live CD), and SuSE (DID NOT LIKE THIS AT ALL).)