12% 

TF2 Connection failed after 4 retries

Post New Thread Reply   

Jwu
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-25-2017 , 16:55   TF2 Connection failed after 4 retries
Reply With Quote #1

Hi,

How it that some players have to add "+clientport 27006-27014" to their launch options of TF2 to play on my servers while other do not? These players can still play on my others servers just not on a few of them they get "TF2 Connection failed after 4 retries". I don't even see them connection to the server at all.

For example with one player:
Server on Port 27015 works fine.
Server on Port 27016 doesn't work for him (but for others).
Server on Port 27018 doesn't work for him (but for others).
Server on Port 27019 works fine.

He adds +clientport 27006-27014 to his launch options and every server works fine. I moved the server to different port (for example from 27016 to 27000) but that didn't help either.

So I'm kinda out of ideas, anyone has a solution or suggestions to this problem? I googled around and it doesn't seem to be a exclusive community server problem and it started to happen after the Gun Mettle Update from mid 2015.

ED-E
Phaiz
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-29-2017 , 05:20   Re: TF2 Connection failed after 4 retries
Reply With Quote #2

That's an interesting one. Can't say I've heard of people needing to set client ports in their launch options.

Just throwing this out there but do you have -strictportbind in your command line?

Last edited by Phaiz; 07-29-2017 at 05:23.
Jwu
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-29-2017 , 06:33   Re: TF2 Connection failed after 4 retries
Reply With Quote #3

Hi Phaiz,

No, I don't even know what -strictportbind would do.

I don't think it's just him, since I get reports over this every now and then. But other than regulars they shrug this kinds of errors off and move on. So I guess we loose a certain percentage of new players who just couldn't look into our servers and this is a kind of a bummer.
Phaiz
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-30-2017 , 13:30   Re: TF2 Connection failed after 4 retries
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwu View Post
Hi Phaiz,

No, I don't even know what -strictportbind would do.

I don't think it's just him, since I get reports over this every now and then. But other than regulars they shrug this kinds of errors off and move on. So I guess we loose a certain percentage of new players who just couldn't look into our servers and this is a kind of a bummer.
Google shows this happening to people who are at a location where someone else is also playing on the same server so it sounds like either a network issue or a TF2 bug. If someone else here doesn't know the answer I would email Valve and ask them.
Old 08-02-2017 , 02:17   Re: TF2 Connection failed after 4 retries
Reply With Quote #5

Maybe, but in this case it's only him, no other IP Adress even near his segment was on our servers. I send a similar post to the TF team over a week ago but got no respone yet (and I doubt i will get any).

Within a year we send them twice a bug report about an buffer overflow with the mp3 codec they use. This bug can crash any source1 client to the desktop with a nonsense error like "Lower your settings". This happens when you encode mp3s wrong or even try to play a mp3 which isn't on the client (like people who disable custom content) over a period of time. No respone or fix (as far as I know of) did ever come out of this.