8% 

[TOP LIST] Strangest Bugs ever Seen !!! PRICE 25€ PSC

Post New Thread Reply   

zipcore
Veteran Member
Old 07-19-2014 , 21:58   [TOP LIST] Strangest Bugs ever Seen !!! PRICE 25€ PSC
Reply With Quote #1

Hello everyone,

I like to collect with you some very strange bugs to make a toplist and a voting to place them later

Here are my Top 3 stragest bugs ever seen.

1. I've tryed to spawn NPCs at the same origins as a info_teleport_destination we placed into a map as a placeholder. The NPCs spawned but only had collision and shadows. the solution was simple, just delete the entitys before spawning the new ones
  2. Turning sv_cheats for single players on and off caused on maps without a single light (fullbringht) to disable the fullbright function and the hole map turned into darkness.
  3. Long map names caused an massive fps drop and the server was running with constant 1,5 fps. This was caused by a low buffer size of and sql query.

Now show us your experience with SM

!! The winner gets a 25€ paysafecard !!

Rulez:
  • You have to prove that bug is real!
  • Only 3 bugs per competitor
  • Only bugs caused by SourceMod code

Last edited by asherkin; 01-14-2015 at 19:55.
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 07-20-2014 , 04:30   Re: [TOP LIST] Strangest Bugs ever Seen !!! PRICE 25€ PSC
Reply With Quote #2

...some noblock plugins what cause physics mayhem.
physics props float on ground and weapons drop trough ground.

this can reprosude, hooking players touch trigger and toggle collision in different state,
and this should happen rapidly in short time.
however, tested few years ago

*edit
and my health kit from dead plugin also done this when set noblock to kits

Last edited by Bacardi; 07-20-2014 at 04:31.
zipcore
Veteran Member
Old 07-21-2014 , 06:35   Re: [TOP LIST] Strangest Bugs ever Seen !!! PRICE 25€ PSC
Reply With Quote #3

Do you fear flaming or are there only a few coders which had funny/strange bugs so far?
Old 07-21-2014 , 07:16   Re: [TOP LIST] Strangest Bugs ever Seen !!! PRICE 25€ PSC
Reply With Quote #4

For a very long time the !settings menu in SourceMod would intermittently cause a server crash, most people never had it happen, but for the ones that did it was a regular occurrence. 2 years later I found the cause, the clientprefs extension was storing a pointer as a string so it could save it in a menu parameter, but it was using signed math functions to convert back from a string to a pointer. When the system allocated memory above a certain point (as pointers are unsigned), it overflowed and gave back an invalid address rather than what was stored. The fix for this 2 year old crash bug was to add a single character to 4 function calls.

CEntity (TFDodgeball) used to cause strange issues from broken gameplay to server crashes when combined with a handful of other popular plugins. The issues persisted even when completely gutting down to only the most basic code (removed all custom logic, all hooks, all detours, etc.) and it was a PITA to track down the underlying issue. It turned out to be subtly corrupting entity classnames when doing its initialization work.

Connect, after a long running time and only for a few people, would cause slots on the server to become occupied by "ghost" players that could only be seen externally and not with the status command. After a few months (the issue being exacerbated by Valve causing a similar bug in the engine around the same time) it was noticed that it only occurred on popular servers, and was tracked down to happening when someone connected while the server was full, after someone else left the person that tried to connect would "take" their slot. The issue turned out to be that Connect was starting the Steam session early (to do auth checks before the server), but because the engine wasn't expecting the session to be started at that point, when it was handed off to the engine to check that there was an available slot, password was correct if required, etc., the engine kicked the client directly and the Steam session never got closed, leaving them connected according to Steam (which manages the externally available information). The fix was to catch the engine rejecting a client during this time, and properly clean up there to cover all potential cases.

EDIT: Some runner-up SourceMod bugs that were particularly fun: #5285, #5581, and #5612.

Last edited by asherkin; 07-21-2014 at 07:43.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-21-2014 , 10:19   Re: [TOP LIST] Strangest Bugs ever Seen !!! PRICE 25€ PSC
Reply With Quote #5

I'm not sure if this is "funny" per se, but....
  1. In SourceMod 1.5, if a private forward has Handles in it from another plugin when you CloseHandle the forward Handle, PrivateFwd Handles are leaked.

NativeVotes 1.0 betas had a change in early June to work around this: in a function the remote plugin was required to close instead of CloseHandle, NativeVotes would call RemoveAllFromForward for that plugin. Most plugins call this when the vote forward is called with the action MenuAction_End.

On SourceMod 1.6.x, doing this crashes the server about 3/4 or more of the time. Apparently SM gets very cranky when you attempt to remove functions from a forward when that forward is currently running.

The solution? Remove the code that calls RemoveAllFromForward. Turns out the fix isn't needed on SM 1.6 anyway as it correctly cleans up the PrivateFwd Handles when the Forward itself is closed.
  2. The BaseVotes plugin included with SourceMod only translates the result of a Yes/No BaseVotes and FunVotes votes into the server's language despite Yes and No being translation phrases in common.phrases. This is because it simply copies the name of the result from the menu item instead of translating it for each user.

I should really submit my fix for this to the SourceMod repository (I'll do this soon).
  3. I almost forgot about this one. When updating PropHunt, I rewrote it to use the game's team_round_timer entities and then make calls to the map's team_control_point_master entity's inputs to end the round if time ran out. The plugin would create a tcpm if one didn't exist on round start and give it a name.

Worked great, but with one slight problem... it made the assumption that a map that had a tcpm would have given it an m_iName (targetname in Hammer). If it didn't, the round would never end.

Did I mention ph_devilscanyon_a1 doesn't name its tcpm entity?

The solution was to give it a name if it didn't have one.

Runner up:

The version of morecolors.inc posted in the first post of the More Colors thread translates phrases into the language of the last user who was sent a translated message. The reason for this is that it was written to be lazy and use SM's ShowActivity* internally, which are sent to multiple users... but uses Format and VFormat on the incoming arguments first without specifying a target (see bug #5612 in Asherkin's post as to why that's bad).

I've posted a fixed version of this that replaces CShowActivity* with a SourcePawn implementation of ShowActivity*. Note: This wasn't the first version, I've been fixing it as I've fixed the colors.inc version as the two are identical.

Last edited by Powerlord; 07-21-2014 at 10:38.
zipcore
Veteran Member
Old 08-09-2014 , 01:49   Re: [TOP LIST] Strangest Bugs ever Seen !!! PRICE 25€ PSC
Reply With Quote #6

Now we have some strage bugs collected, but for a nomination I like to see some more
Old 08-09-2014 , 02:52   Re: [TOP LIST] Strangest Bugs ever Seen !!! PRICE 25€ PSC
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcore View Post
Now we have some strage bugs collected, but for a nomination I like to see some more
When do you plan on giving out the prize? Please provide a date in which the winner will be announced.
zipcore
Veteran Member
Old 08-09-2014 , 22:46   Re: [TOP LIST] Strangest Bugs ever Seen !!! PRICE 25€ PSC
Reply With Quote #8

Time doesn't matter in my mind I like to have 10 nominations by different ppl ;) So I need at least 6 more.