3% 

Getting a complete list of banned plugins and tags

Post New Thread Reply   

Puppetmaster
Old 01-28-2016 , 15:23   Re: Getting a complete list of banned plugins and tags
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk74 View Post
I'll be damned if it checks for commands such as !knife or !ws. I have triggers setup for whenever someone types one of those that explains (prints to chat) that those plugins were removed in July due to request by Valve. I'd laugh so hard if thats what got my server banned. I honestly doubt it however, I'm going along with psychonic's analysis.
On my server !ws prints out our website URL. Mine was not banned so If I had to guess this was not one of the commands banned.

Edit: Just to be safe Ive removed the plugin that printed out the web URL.

GZS Servers

Last edited by Puppetmaster; 01-28-2016 at 15:29. Reason: Update
bakugo
Old 01-28-2016 , 16:02   Re: Getting a complete list of banned plugins and tags
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkster View Post
Just no, it does not check for commands, cause I've had !knife as a command on my servers for ever.
Only difference is that on my server's it sends you to justin biebers fan site.
I cant say exactly how its done, but its not going into all servers and checking commands.
I'm actually looking into using the !knife plugin but only with the default knife, cause quite often when people spectate it removes the weapon view.
Not so sure if its smart though, maybe if a remake of the plugin was done, removing all extra knifes.
Maybe it isn't commands, but if you're using the web shortcuts plugin to add a !knife command, it doesn't actually register a real command, just a chat trigger. I'm talking about real commands created with RegAdminCmd() that you can type in your console like sm_knife.
bakugo
Old 01-28-2016 , 16:05   Re: Getting a complete list of banned plugins and tags
Reply With Quote #13

Also, if they're not using commands to detect the plugins, they are using some method to directly detect when a fake item is given to a player. My plugin had no tags and wasn't public so I really can't think of anything else.
checkster
BANNED
Old 01-28-2016 , 16:45   Re: Getting a complete list of banned plugins and tags
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakugo View Post
Also, if they're not using commands to detect the plugins, they are using some method to directly detect when a fake item is given to a player. My plugin had no tags and wasn't public so I really can't think of anything else.
Tbh Id suggest you stop thinking and start to listen.
What ever way they use, you had plugins running that was interfering with inventory and or rank.
My best guess is that the used "over-watch"
bakugo
Old 01-28-2016 , 17:32   Re: Getting a complete list of banned plugins and tags
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Do you have any idea what you're talking about or what overwatch is?
Puppetmaster
Old 01-28-2016 , 17:37   Re: Getting a complete list of banned plugins and tags
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Tbh Id suggest you stop thinking and start to listen.
What ever way they use, you had plugins running that was interfering with inventory and or rank.
This kind of comment is far from constructive. Given that many of us are coding public plugins that are run on potentially hundreds of servers it would be nice to know that the methods we employ do not return false positives and result in peoples accounts getting banned.

You have said:
"What ever way they use, you had plugins running that was interfering with inventory and or rank."

Now how am I supposed to go about safely coding if I do not know what may trigger a ban wave? hmm?

GZS Servers
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 01-30-2016 , 18:20   Re: Getting a complete list of banned plugins and tags
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
While tag checks were used in the original ban waves when IP addresses were blacklisted, I don't think that they've been used since.

Assuming that a majority of users are truthful, Valve was likely using an imperfect, behavior-based heuristic (which also happened to detect certain "allowed" plugins), and would logically be detected/reported from the client rather than the server (so that the check couldn't be cheated/blocked). It would likely have been reported via a GC message, probably not an obvious one.

(This is just an educated guess based on the details available)
I now know exactly where the detection logic is, roughly how it works, and how/when it reports back. (No, I don't plan on giving further technical details).

If you have questions as to whether or not a specific plugin will trigger their detection, post or link it in this thread, https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=278391

Last edited by psychonic; 01-30-2016 at 18:22.
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 01-30-2016 , 23:04   Re: Getting a complete list of banned plugins and tags
Reply With Quote #18

Did you figure it out by disassembling the client binary in IDA? If so, doesn't that mean that anyone with revere engineering skills can defeat Valve's logic?
atenx
Old 01-31-2016 , 06:51   Re: Getting a complete list of banned plugins and tags
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakugo View Post
So was mine, I also believe they're just hooking this change of entity's props.