Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

So what happened to the dev community?

Post New Thread Reply   

rowedahelicon
Old 03-27-2015 , 04:31   Re: So what happened to the dev community?
Reply With Quote #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin955 View Post
what is illegal mods? illegal moderators or illegal game modes gameplay? or you mean hacks?
and people getting paid for admin is more like a serious place (if it was in real life) but since it isn't there is no way to keep annyone in check, its all about typing skills and convincing others to pay you for doing it then just leave the server and go do something else. or make a second steam and join it again and try same method again ;]

where do you find in real life where you pay someone to actually work for them? in games and communities that money you donate (well actually just pay) for admin or vip is the proof you have for being a serious player who would like to help out the server. and in real life you dont need that since you meet the person physically.

the contract for ppl behind the screen is paying them then you are validated to work under their circumstances, in real life you just meet up physically and work for money. here you work and pay them and earn supposedly more joy into the gameplay and the feeling within the server.
in one way thats the power of addictive gaming but its not like you are paying alot. and it makes you're gameplay different and experienced in a new way, just like if you bought a new game. (almost) atleast thats some of the purpose of admin and other features.
Yeah I don't think I've ever seen a server where having a paid admin wasn't there to give little kids power trips, I've just had regular non-abusive donation stuff for my group and I used to have no issue getting by on donations.

And by illegal mods, I think of the whole Hatless update removing attachables because a handful of places abused it for personal gain. MasterXykon's exploited item loadout plugin, stuff like that.

As Asherkin said, people find new and creative ways to get around official policies which make Valve less and less inclined to support content that takes money away from them.

A cash-strapped community isn't related, this could just be someone wanting a bit of cash flow from doing nothing at all, not caring about quality. Look at how popular pinion got with some servers despite how bad it was.
RedSword
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 03-27-2015 , 06:15   Re: So what happened to the dev community?
Reply With Quote #42

Quote:
[...]as for current valve, they dont really care that much about money annymore[...]
Bahahaha. Sorry for laughing.

Quote:
[...] and if some idiot would go up and complain about the open source they gave us i bet they would just stop doing it and make ppl shut their mouth for complains for something that was made as a bonus part of the game.[...]
Hey would you be so kind as to send me CSGO' Source engine current source code, thanks;

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
Uh, Valve haven't released a code SDK in a great many years.
EDIT: I somehow managed to forget the 2013 SDK when writing this , point stands regarding actual games though.

Quote:
[...]those who earn money because of valve should not complain
So one should never whine about something ? Since their (singular they !) parents gave them life one should never complain and ask something of them during all their life ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg House View Post
Why?
Why is Valve by your definition unable to fuck up? What you're saying is just ignore everything else that has happened, and replacing it with some naive, illogical "irrationale".

Quote:
^ a normal xeon e3 ***forgot*** could host up[...]
We're a developer community. A lot of us aren't getting paid. We're not necessarily hosting stuff. Please differentiate developing and hosting... All but like 3-4 of my plugins were developed solely for fun.

EDIT : On a side note, please use [QUOTE][/QUOTE] when quoting, instead of using random colors; it is much clearer to read.
RAWR (per player/rounds Awp Restrict.)
Kill Assist
Be Medic

You can also Donate if you appreciate my work

Last edited by RedSword; 03-27-2015 at 11:44.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 03-27-2015 , 08:08   Re: So what happened to the dev community?
Reply With Quote #43

Quote:
you might be right but just bringing this up has no point what so ever and will never have, and because of that it just looks like a complain
I thought this was clear, but my point is that the core players = the set that potentially want modded servers.

I'm not even going to try to respond to the rest of your post line-by-line, as you appear to have running servers and developing modifications conflated, so some facts about AlliedModders and the SourceMod team instead:
  • AlliedModders is entirely donation driven, there are no corporate sponsors, and if we're short on cash it comes out of someone's pockets.
  • All the donations go towards operating costs, the majority being the actual infrastructure.
  • Thus, no one working on SourceMod is getting paid for it (and don't worry, we're good, that's how we like it really, but it does make certain arguments completely ridiculous).
  • Even then, AM has been operating at negative margins for quite a while (and obviously steps have been taken to correct this *glances at the top-right*).
  • And finally, more relevant to your post: As far as we are aware, not a single one of the communities (or developers) making serious $$$ building on SourceMod (or any GSPs for that matter) make any meaningful donation with any regularity. In fact, I'd wager that the majority of SourceMod donations come from developers making plugins to also release here for free, or people running very tiny communities at a loss or break-even for fun. Says a lot really.
  • None of the SourceMod team actively run or manage any game servers on the side or otherwise.
  • Full disclosure: Years back when I released standalone plugins and extensions rather than working on SourceMod I had a donation link in my signature, this equated to about $25/month total across all my various releases over the time period I have records for up until I removed the link.

While the ability to run servers and the ability to make server mods are obviously intertwined, making money and the ability to make server mods are not, so I'm not sure what you were trying to do with your post other than derail the thread with a holy war about money.

I don't really want this thread to veer off into money matters, so if you're interested in responding to this and it isn't on-topic, please PM me instead.

None of Valve's games are open-source (permissively licensed), however I'm gonna assume you actually mean shared-source (proprietary, but the source code is available). Even for the handful of code SDKs they've released (for reference, HL2, HL2:EP1, HL2:EP2, Alien Swarm, and the "2013" SDK, which apart from ASW all contain engine headers and game code for HL2:DM), a huge amount of reverse engineering effort is still required to support SourceMod's features for all the actual games. SourceMod is not just a translation layer between some public native API and SourcePawn plugins.

I think you'd do well to re-read this thread, especially the posts between your last posts and the one before that, while you picked a quote out of my reply, I'm not sure you actually read it.