Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

L4D Team Scramble Preventer

Post New Thread Reply   

FearTX
Old 12-08-2008 , 11:45   L4D Team Scramble Preventer
Reply With Quote #1

I dont know if this is a bug in L4D or if it is something that L4D is supposed to do. When playing VS it will scramble the teams if one team is doing better than the other. Sometimes it will scramble for no reason.

Plugin Functionality:

STOP TEAM SCRAMBLING!
Fyren
FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren
Old 12-08-2008 , 14:21   Re: L4D Team Scramble Preventer
Reply With Quote #2

In L4D's locked (developer) cvars there's the old mp_autoteambalance. The first thing I'd see is if setting that to 0 fixes it, but I have no idea if it will.
Fyren
FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren
Old 12-12-2008 , 03:58   Re: L4D Team Scramble Preventer
Reply With Quote #3

I finally got around to playing a few games of versus with mp_autoteambalance set to 0. Very rarely do we normally get through an entire game in versus with the teams not scrambling, but changing this appears to fix it. It's possible we just got really lucky and the game deigned to let us keep our original teams. So, sm_cvar mp_autoteambalance 0.
msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 12-12-2008 , 15:52   Re: L4D Team Scramble Preventer
Reply With Quote #4

I've ran into this problem a lot too and it really sucks. I was going to write a simple plugin that would save each team's players at map end, and check it again after map start and force team switches - but there is no way to view or set a player's class in L4D as of right now that I am aware of. If someone smarter than me can point out how to do it, please do so!

If setting mp_autoteambalance 0 in a server.cfg works though, I'd say go for that in the meantime.
Old 12-12-2008 , 18:28   Re: L4D Team Scramble Preventer
Reply With Quote #5

As mentioned, it's flagged as developer, so you'd have to do sm_cvar mp_autoteambalance 0.
dbenoy
Old 12-13-2008 , 01:23   Re: L4D Team Scramble Preventer
Reply With Quote #6

I tried that out, and I don't know if it worked.. I played a few games and ended up staying on the same team, however I noticed that tanks kept getting played by the same guy over and over. I think turning this off also screws up who gets to be the tank.
Fexii
Old 12-13-2008 , 03:58   Re: L4D Team Scramble Preventer
Reply With Quote #7

Setting mp_autoteambalance didn't work.
dbenoy
Old 12-14-2008 , 00:31   Re: L4D Team Scramble Preventer
Reply With Quote #8

In addition to messing up who gets the tank and such, it also didn't work at eliminating the team scrambling problem. Is it possible to write a plugin that detects team swaps between levels and undoes them?

There's also the z_restrict_team_change cvar.. I'll be trying this one later. It sounds like it will prevent you from changing between zombies and survivors at all.. but if this solves the team scrambling problem as well then it will be worth it.
ChillyWI
Old 12-14-2008 , 02:03   Re: L4D Team Scramble Preventer
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenoy View Post
In addition to messing up who gets the tank and such, it also didn't work at eliminating the team scrambling problem. Is it possible to write a plugin that detects team swaps between levels and undoes them?

There's also the z_restrict_team_change cvar.. I'll be trying this one later. It sounds like it will prevent you from changing between zombies and survivors at all.. but if this solves the team scrambling problem as well then it will be worth it.
z_restrict_team_change is a cheat cvar, so I think you have to set it using sm_cvar or whatever the command is.

For anyone writing a plugin to do this, the manual method of fixing is to have each player type "spectate" and then switch to the opposite teams. So you'd just have to see if the previous map played is the previous map in the series (where the last number is just incremented by 1). If so, then look at the teams at the end of the previous round and use spectate and team assign to place everyone back on the correct teams.

Or we could wait for Valve to fix it.
dbenoy
Old 12-15-2008 , 14:21   Re: L4D Team Scramble Preventer
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyWI View Post
Or we could wait for Valve to fix it.
Is there an indication that they're fixing it, or that they've even acknowledged that it's a problem and not intentional?