Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[TF2] TFDodgeball

Post New Thread Reply   

OneMoreLevel
Old 05-17-2010 , 19:09   Re: [TF2] TFDodgeball
Reply With Quote #31

I feel so honored to be recognized for suggesting this plugin. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy XD
Blog:
http://sites.google.com/site/dailymultitasker/
PHP Code:
   if ( i_help_you "Yes" ) == )

set_user_karma(onemorelevel,add,+1
yellowblood
Old 05-17-2010 , 21:03   Re: [TF2] TFDodgeball
Reply With Quote #32

Great job guys. With a bit more work you can make this as good as voogru's and even better.

I converted my map to work with the new mod:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/o3dzo8

Try it out and tell me what you think about it.

Some requests:
- I would like to have the option of having a single launcher that shoots rockets for both teams randomly, rather than having two launcher at the same spot.

- Obviously it should be possible to control the direction of which you are reflecting the rocket, like in voogru's. Rockets should have limited turning angle, to give the right movement.

- An easy way (like custom Entity or something) to set the dodgeball settings when creating a map.

by the way, when I tested the map I actually used the tf_bots, and they reflected many of the rockets

again great job and thank you very very much!
voogru
Inspector Javert
Old 05-18-2010 , 08:46   Re: [TF2] TFDodgeball
Reply With Quote #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowblood View Post
Great job guys. With a bit more work you can make this as good as voogru's and even better.
Unpossible. I'm just going to raise the bar. It took me 12 hours to make dodgeball and over a year for a clone to come out.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 05-18-2010 , 08:52   Re: [TF2] TFDodgeball
Reply With Quote #34

Quote:
I converted my map to work with the new mod:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/o3dzo8

Try it out and tell me what you think about it.
Fun to play, could do with some lighting.
One major issue is the fact it uses point_servercommand to force the cvars to change, with this era of map config files this isn't really acceptable (and personally I'm not fond of the settings you did choose, and can't change that easily), not to mention it caries over to further maps.

Quote:
I would like to have the option of having a single launcher that shoots rockets for both teams randomly, rather than having two launcher at the same spot.
I'll look into it. But may I ask, what's wrong with two on the same spot?

Quote:
Obviously it should be possible to control the direction of which you are reflecting the rocket, like in voogru's. Rockets should have limited turning angle, to give the right movement.
If I ever work out the math to do it decently but without murdering the server's CPU, then yes, sure.

Quote:
An easy way (like custom Entity or something) to set the dodgeball settings when creating a map.
Maybe once the new version of CEntity is finished.

As a closing note and a response to the "like voogru's" (and future posts):
This is not an exact clone of his dodgeball mod nor is it meant to be.
I hadn't heard of it before it was requested, and have played for about 5 mins on his server since then.
If a version of dodgeball that is identical to voogru's is what you want, pay him the monthly price for it.
Old 05-18-2010 , 09:31   Re: [TF2] TFDodgeball
Reply With Quote #35

well voogru, at least now you have a competition!

asherkin, I'm not an experienced map builder, in fact it's the first time I use this point_servercommand entity. I really think it's up to the map to decide these variables - some maps are meant for multi-rockets, some for single, I don't think it's bad to let the map decide.

I understand your comment about "like voogru's", but I believe some issues are important - like ballistic movement for the missiles, and picking the target randomly rather than pick the closest one. It will just lead to a better gameplay in my opinion. Besides that I'm not telling you "omgz plz add nukes" or "wtf i want to kill missiles with flares"

Having a single entity that shoots missiles for both teams just gives more flexibility and convenient for the map builders, it's not a must.

Thanks again, off to create more maps now
alinayg
Old 05-18-2010 , 09:41   Re: [TF2] TFDodgeball
Reply With Quote #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by voogru View Post
Unpossible. I'm just going to raise the bar. It took me 12 hours to make dodgeball and over a year for a clone to come out.
We all know your a professional

But asherkin, if you could make this work with the current maps that are out there, you would have a ton more.
Old 05-18-2010 , 10:12   Re: [TF2] TFDodgeball
Reply With Quote #37

Quote:
well voogru, at least now you have a competition!
Competition just forces me to one up you. Competition is a good thing. I told him how to make the rockets do damage and that's probably quite a critical thing to have, so you could argue perhaps I wanted this competition to get my butt in gear to add new things to dodgeball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinayg View Post
We all know your a professional

But asherkin, if you could make this work with the current maps that are out there, you would have a ton more.
Good luck with that, most of our maps have significant logic with the entities that would need to be handled properly, and some of the newer maps we have will have their entities encrypted which basically means all of the entity logic would have to be re-created from scratch.

Which isn't any fun ;)
alinayg
Old 05-18-2010 , 10:16   Re: [TF2] TFDodgeball
Reply With Quote #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by voogru View Post
Good luck with that, most of our maps have significant logic with the entities that would need to be handled properly, and some of the newer maps we have will have their entities encrypted which basically means all of the entity logic would have to be re-created from scratch.

Which isn't any fun ;)
Oh... Well then, I didn't know it was that complicated since you make it in such a short time lol, sorry i doubted you master!

Oh well, guess we are going to have to make some awesome maps for the public to use.
Old 05-18-2010 , 10:33   Re: [TF2] TFDodgeball
Reply With Quote #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinayg View Post
Oh... Well then, I didn't know it was that complicated since you make it in such a short time lol, sorry i doubted you master!

Oh well, guess we are going to have to make some awesome maps for the public to use.
You're best off making your own maps, on the bright side I can't ninja your maps either without re-working them into my own system. Also I would prefer for our maps not to be used without permission from the map author.
yellowblood
Old 05-18-2010 , 10:42   Re: [TF2] TFDodgeball
Reply With Quote #40

Actually in our community (Israeli), now that we have a dodgeball server, players are begging for some blucourt action, but I'm not going to convert any maps without permissions - that's just wrong.

I did convert my own map and gonna build some simple maps from scratch. Well the arena entities did come from the original DB maps but they are just arena entities