12% 

[LUA][15$] .txt local database to mysql

Post New Thread Reply   

doze
Old 04-20-2016 , 11:13   [LUA][15$] .txt local database to mysql
Reply With Quote #1

Hello,

I'll get straight to the point.

I need a .lua Gmod addon modified, currently it saves a file for each player in a .txt file on the player's local HDD, i need to make it saves that info in a Mysql database instead of on the local user's PC.

The reasons i want to do this are 1) The player can modify that file, i don't want that 2) The player will lose that file if he reinstalls his game

I thought mysql support for this would be ideal, but if you have other suggestions of achieving the 2 things i've mentioned i am open to hearing your suggestions, i am not sure if having this as mysql will have a noticeable impact on the server performance wise ?

This is the code that i believe (not 100% sure) is responsible for creating that file.

http://pastebin.com/JEYza2nB

The addon contains several .lua files, i could give them all to you to have a look if needed.

I will offer 15$ for this.

*Don't bother telling me Alliedmods is not the place to post about .lua stuff or other things i have no interest in hearing, i just want to know if you're up for the job or not.

Last edited by doze; 04-20-2016 at 11:15.
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 04-20-2016 , 16:09   Re: [LUA][15$] .txt local database to mysql
Reply With Quote #2

Well i looked through the code. The only way this would be possible is if you had it on the server-side of the game. Although not sure what this lua file is, looks to me like it's a swep, but is this the client side file? Is this something that is on the workshop? Why not the txt file on server side, and when ever someone issues that 'spell' it will check the text on server side? Im not too sure whats even in the .txt file, or if it is even worthy of needing a MySQL database.

If this is a client side weapon that anybody can download off the internet giving the keys to your MySQL database may not be the best decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doze View Post
*Don't bother telling me Alliedmods is not the place to post about .lua stuff or other things i have no interest in hearing, i just want to know if you're up for the job or not.
Well most of us don't know Lua enough to even code this.
doze
Old 04-20-2016 , 17:13   Re: [LUA][15$] .txt local database to mysql
Reply With Quote #3

This is a public workshop addon, yes.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=419153126

I believe what you've said will work.

I'll be happy as long as 1) The player can't modify that file. 2) The file won't be saved on the player's HDD. 3) Addon continues to work.