Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

lmModule 1.1 BETA (a location reporter/marker plugin.)

Post New Thread Reply   

kulfaangaren!
Old 05-26-2004 , 06:52   Re: BigBaller on Does it work for CS.
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller
IF this is for hostile intent but it works for CS? because right now you have it listed as ALL under the Modifacation Tab.

EDIT

I see thier is no "Hostile Intent" selector , Bailopan should add one
Yes, it should work for ANY mod that AMX Mod X supports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulfaangaren!
DoD allready have this functionality, but this plugin was written for Hostile Intent (http://www.planethalflife.com/hostileintent) and any other mod that could benefit from this kind of functionality. The mod requires NO changes to the mod or it's files.
// Fredrik
Send a message via MSN to kulfaangaren!
kulfaangaren!
Old 05-26-2004 , 08:53   Re: Johnny got his gun
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny got his gun
Quote:
Hostile Intent (http://www.planethalflife.com/hostileintent) and any other mod that could benefit from this kind of functionality.
So... I think "all mods" is fine as long as it could work (and is supported :-)) on more mods.

Btw I had some loose thoughts about making something like this. But I probably intended to mark existing features in a map and do something "closest to"-checks to find out locations. Oh well.

Maybe you should add a cmd for clients so that they can bind it to a button, and when they see an enemy, they press the button and bang they tell everyone where the enemy is. That would be useful?
Yepp, you got it right...I will however not test the code on anything but Hostile Intent, I will however not rely on any mod specific calls or functions. The idea from scratch has been that this feature is missing in Hostile Intent, but I also wanted it to be usable in any mod where teamplay and team communication is a factor even though I only play Hostile Intent at the moment.

My first unreleased version of this plugin worked kind of like that, I marked an XYZ origin in the maps and gave them a description, I limited the radius of the marked area to 200 ingame-length-units (whatever they are) and limited the area on the Z-axis with +-50 to compensate for jumps and crouching. This however showed not to be a very good solution because the marked areas would then not be confined to a single room and in HI alot of the areas are inside buildings. I could for example end up reporting that I was in the kitchen when I in fact was in the garage just because I happened to be 1 length-unit closer to the marked origin of the kitchen then the garage. This is not acceptable for HI and that is when I thought up the idea to use the point-in-polygon algorithm to have a precise control over which area belongs to the description. The only problem with the point-in-polygon algorithm is that the operative word is IN which means that if the user is on the exact line of the polygon he will not be reported as inside the polygon I have not yet found a way around this and this is a problem if you usually crouch and hide along walls and in corners. Maybe I will find a solution later on.

I was in fact testing an "%aim" function with my first version of this plugin, it didn't work correctly though so I put that feature on ice. "%aim" would simple be the same as "%pos" but the origin from where I would test would be where the players weapon was aimed. I might work on a feature like this when I'm done with the ZLevel (ZPlane) markings.

// Fredrik
DopeFish
Old 05-26-2004 , 09:57  
Reply With Quote #13

looks good. I might post some polys for cs maps if I get around to it tonight.
Send a message via ICQ to DopeFish
kulfaangaren!
Old 05-26-2004 , 11:14  
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeFish
GOOD! Do that, this is why I released the plugin and made a basic location file for one of the HI maps...so that people would help to make location files for different mods and post them to relevant forums so that others can benefit from the work you and others have put in and not have to "reinvent the wheel" by doing thier own location files.

The file format will change somewhat in the next release because of the addition of ZLevel marks but it will be fully backwards compatible with this format so all the work you put in now will still be useable in the next version. It is because of this upgrade that I added the "POLY" keyword before the description in the file format, now I can just add a "ZLEVEL" keyword and not have to change a thing about the polys

Question is where the right forum to share the location files is ? Perhaps the moderators will allow us to use the plugin thread ?

// Fredrik
kulfaangaren!
Old 05-26-2004 , 11:30   *sigh* Found something :(
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
I just found something that makes the plugin incompatible with all mods but Hostile Intent.
In the test command of the plugin, I use sprites to show the vertices of the polygon ingame. That sprite is part of the Hostile Intent distribution I think
I will try to fix this tonight when I get home, even if it means I have to make my own sprite and release with the plugin.

// Fredrik
DopeFish
Old 05-26-2004 , 14:09  
Reply With Quote #16

hmm, couldn't you just make a

if (file_exists("sprites/ps_metalglow.spr"))
mark_sprite = precache_model( "sprites/ps_metalglow.spr" );
else{
mark_sprite = precache_model( "sprites/some_generic_sprite.spr" );
}
CheesyPeteza
Old 05-26-2004 , 20:56  
Reply With Quote #17

I was going to do a plugin like this, mainly for CS. We have the luxory of this addition in NS.

Here is some features in NS that you might want to implement:

When in a named area the location shows as a HUD message at the bottom of your screen.

When you say a team chat message your name is appended your location. Like:

(TEAM) Cheesy Peteza (Bomb Site B): Arghh need backup!!!!

[email protected]

QwertyAccess
Veteran Member
Old 05-26-2004 , 21:47  
Reply With Quote #18

hehe.
(TEAM) Cheesy Peteza (Poop World): Arghh need backup!!!!
Old 05-27-2004 , 03:57   !PLUG
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
hmm, couldn't you just make a

if (file_exists("sprites/ps_metalglow.spr"))
mark_sprite = precache_model( "sprites/ps_metalglow.spr" );
else{
mark_sprite = precache_model( "sprites/some_generic_sprite.spr" );
}
yes, I could do something like that, but what would be the point ? There are no such things as a generic sprite....I'm sure CS might feel synonymous with Steam for you and that the CS sprites are generic, but I for example doesn't even have CS installed.
The only solution would be to create an original sprite and distribute it with the plugin since it has to be placed in the sprites directory of the mod you run the server for.
I'm trying to get hold of one of the mod leads for Hostile Intent to get permission to use the sprite I use now.

// Fredrik
DopeFish
Old 05-27-2004 , 05:47  
Reply With Quote #20

I actaully wasn't thinking about CS sprites, I was thinking about the sprites that are in the valve/sprites/ directory. Since all mods are based on basic HL, I was suggesting using HL sprites.